FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Swanky creates elaborate firewood
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Swanky creates elaborate firewood
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-25 5:25 pm   Permalink

That's terrific looking woodwork, I want a router for Christmas, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 04:16 am   Permalink

Looking Good Swank and I'll Bet you'e tired of Going round in circles? Are'ya Dizzy yet? Nice to see you more comfortable at removing large amounts of Wood too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 09:08 am   Permalink

It is getting there...

It's not a block of wood with some stuff on it anymore. Not sure when I'll be happy with it, but I am very happy with the process!

And I have 2 more to go after this, so, all I learn will make the next one faster and better I hope. And, I keep buying more tools, so, I should have all I need by then too...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 09:16 am   Permalink

Looking good. And he's sitting on a stool?! Very cool.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-01 09:16, TheBigT wrote:
Looking good. And he's sitting on a stool?! Very cool.

Actually he's sitting on his defeated enemy he is about to eat. Once I get to doing their faces it'll be a little more clear. So, that's the other guy between his legs, not some enormous member...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 09:28 am   Permalink

I am beginning to see the end and researching finishing. I see a lot of sanding in my future. Can anyone point me to a good resource of anything they recommend other than good old paper and elbow grease for sanding?

I also read a few places about people wetting their pieces, drying them and then sanding them as the grain raised up. Do this 3 or 4 times to make it so that when you put on the stain, you don't see the grain raise up when you can't fix it. Anyone done this and have any thoughts?

These short days that have me getting home from work in the dark have slowed my work. Gotta regroup...

And then I keep thinking, maybe I chuck this one and start over... Nah. When I finish the 3rd of the trio, I'll consider the possibility of redoing the 1st and then the second and then.....

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 2:56 pm   Permalink

Swanky, Don't give up! He's comin along fine man.

I use lots of emery cloth and Steel Wools in a range of coarseness. I use wifflers now and Dremel sanding wheels and fine bits from Kutzall.

Keep him coming along.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 11:29 am   Permalink

More carved trim for the bar front.

Hope to have this installed by Saturday for some special guests in the Hideaway.

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 4:18 pm   Permalink

That looks awesome!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 09:32 am   Permalink

A little after these were taken I decided to call him done and started sanding. I may get back out the chisels and work the eyes a little deeper. Next step is to test my stain on a srap piece and if I like it, I will likely stain it and really be done this weekend.

furball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-11 12:08 pm   Permalink

WOW, Swanky! I love the detailed trim idea!!! It looks great, man!

I am remodeling my kitchen and was trying to think of a way of working some custom carved crown molding into my design, without having to hand chisel the entire thing. I have a router and want to try this. Do you have any advice to offer on the subject? Bit style/depth, etc... also, routers are squirrely... how do you keep your panels so even?

View Profile of furball Send a personal message to furball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 1:11 pm   Permalink

Furball, it is not as hard as you imagine. A little bi tof practice to start and then just rip it. For the straight line trim I used a large V bit and for the swirls a large round bit. The first line sets the piece. Once you hit it, you follow it with the next and so not. Only problems were when I hit a knot is would want to get out of line.

If it isn't too basic, I also did not use a plunge base. Set your depth and roll the router down at the edges into the cut and back up on the other end. Remove the stuff that will keep you from seeing the wood and bit and wear safety glasses for sure. Clamps!

Once you get going, it just rolls right out. Was easy. There are lots of ways to go with it.

Torching will make sanding un-needed, although you will need to clean it up afterwards to get rid of ash. A tire brush first to remove most and then old towels and maybe a tack-cloth at the end or some other way to get the remaining charcoal dust gone.

It take more time and trouble to design it and lay it out than to do the routing.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 1:15 pm   Permalink

Here is the trim installed.

This is the rafter covering and read "Okole Maluna Headhunter Lounge" in there

Bar front trim.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Winter 2011!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2011-10-11 13:16 ]

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 1:25 pm   Permalink

Looks great!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
furball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-11 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dude! Also thanks for posting the finished pics, looks awesome! I'm stoked to try this!

View Profile of furball Send a personal message to furball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation