FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Macadamia Nut Liqueur cocktails?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Macadamia Nut Liqueur cocktails?
he'enalu tiki

Posted: 2005-10-17 7:04 pm   Permalink

Just finished my bottle (hand carried by loyal friend from the islands to the mainland) of Kahana & looking to order online - thanks for the internet wines posting! Currently enjoying a:

Hawaiian Latte:

1 1/2 oz. Starbucks liqueur
3/4 oz. Kahana Royale (that's all I had left!)
1/2 oz. Cream

Mix over ice in a fun shaped daiquiri glass. Float Amaratto on top.

View Profile of he'enalu tiki Send a personal message to he'enalu tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michigan Rummy

Posted: 2005-10-18 7:29 pm   Permalink

This is my current favorite use for Macadamia Nut Liqueur. It's a fairly obvious derivative of the "Pink Cloud" that occurred to me one evening while I was sitting at the bar at the Emeryville Trader Vic's...

The Island Cloud

1 Ounce Macadamia Nut Liqueur (Trader Vic's)
1 Ounce Clear Creme de Cacao (Bols)
1 Ounce Evaporated Milk

Combine ingredients in shaker, and shake furiously with cubes until shaker starts to frost. Strain into martini glass.

Enjoy.

View Profile of Michigan Rummy Send a personal message to Michigan Rummy  Goto the website of Michigan Rummy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-10-18 8:33 pm   Permalink

I'm a little bummed out about this Macadamia Nut Liqueur. I have a bottle of it but the first time I tried it, I got an allergic reaction. Since then it's just been sitting up on my shelf taking up space. The weird part is that I can eat macadamia nuts, so what's up?

I am allergic to some other nuts, such as walnuts and filberts. I am also allergic to Hazelnuts and my suspicion is that there might be some Hazelnut mixed in with the Macadamia nuts.

Do any of you have a clue as to what all of the ingredients are that are actually in this stuff?

Does my Hazelnut theory sound plausible?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 9:21 pm   Permalink

What exactly was your reaction?? Allergic could be fatal.....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-10-18 9:34 pm   Permalink

After just a few sips of a drink that used the Macadamia Nut Liqueur, my neck and cheeks started to swell up. I immediately took some Benadryl which seemed to help.

No more Macadamia Nut Liqueur for me...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 9:38 pm   Permalink

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I agree.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-23 2:42 pm   Permalink

You can make a drink similar to a B & B mist. Mix one once of it with an once of 15-y-o El Dorado Demerara and crushed ice. Sip out of a snifter. Unless you have allergies.

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa Ed
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-28 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-18 21:34, Hakalugi wrote:
After just a few sips of a drink that used the Macadamia Nut Liqueur, my neck and cheeks started to swell up. I immediately took some Benadryl which seemed to help.

No more Macadamia Nut Liqueur for me...

I'm with you on this one...I had no idea it even existed!
This and orgeat I have to avoid..it really limits what I can and cannot have I guess!

View Profile of Tangaroa Ed Send a personal message to Tangaroa Ed  Email Tangaroa Ed     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-17 5:27 pm   Permalink

I've modified my version of the Prince Kuhio and now the better (IMO, closer to the one I had at Plantation in Kauai) recipe is:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-17 06:36 am   Permalink

Served the Puhi Split at the Pre-Hukilau party last night. VERY popular! Thanks for the recipe.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-17 1:13 pm   Permalink

Try the Irish Nutjob from Kahuna Kevin's "Why is the Rum Gone?"

Great drink...not too sweet like most of the other cocktails that use macadamia nut liqueur.

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 04:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-17 17:27, pablus wrote:

I've modified my version of the Prince Kuhio and now the better (IMO, closer to the one I had at Plantation in Kauai) recipe is:

2 oz Macadamia Nut Liqueur (I like Kahana Royale)
1.5 oz Amber Rum ( I used Pritchard's tonight... it's pretty good)
2 oz pineapple
.75 oz of OJ
dash of marischino syrup
teaspoon of lemon juice

Is that Marischino Liqueur or the syrup from a jar of Marischino cherries

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 2:42 pm   Permalink

It's actually the syrup from that jar.

I'd try the Luxardo though - why not. My tastes also run more toward the bitter and sour.
Just like my demeanor.

Now shut up, I'm sulking.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2011-04-22 14:42 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 4:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-22 14:42, pablus wrote:
My tastes also run more toward the bitter and sour.

I have a memory of you squeezing many, many, many limes at Benz's house. Just sayin'.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 1:55 pm   Permalink

I have a recipe in my book that uses Trader Vic's macadamia nut liqueur. And thanks for reminding me. I need to make a new recipe for my second volume.

http://www.KahunaKevin.com

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-04-24 13:57 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation