FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Music swap at Hukilau
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Music swap at Hukilau
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 8:15 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

With "The Man" coming down hard on recent sites that do music sharing, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to return to the good old days of tape swaping -- though in this case CD swaping. I imagine a lot of folks will be going to Hukilau, and it crossed my mind that there might be a way to coordinate some music swaps.

Just an idea at the moment. What do others think?

I, Zombie

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 05:54 am   Permalink

I'll trade you an Aquarium Rescue Unit for a Sparks compilation.

Oh... TIKI music.

Cooll idea. I've been compiling collections of older Hawaiian stuff lately.

Just picked up a Kalama's quartet and "Legends of Hawaiian Steel" or something like that with about 35 songs on it.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 06:50 am   Permalink

Great idea! I'd definitely be willing to share lots of what I have.

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 08:21 am   Permalink

Sounds good, but the RIAA may shut down Hukilau. And they may shut down TC for our conspiring to share music here. This is serious Peer 2 Peer file swapping!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 6:02 pm   Permalink

Dear Swanky,

Are you serious or kidding about there being a problem with swapping CDs at Hukilau? If serious, I'll let the idea go.
I know you've been through hell with the RIAA, and I respect your opinion.

I, Zombie

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 7:25 pm   Permalink

Nah, sarcastic. They aren't going that far yet!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 5:26 pm   Permalink

I,Zombie,

Maybe you should start your suggestions on selections?

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 07:14 am   Permalink

I'll bring a batch of Hawaiian CDs with songs both old and new. No MP3s on this one. Just stuff from my collection. I'll throw an original or two on there too.

I'll try to make it a great mix for a luau or tiki time.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 1:00 pm   Permalink

I'm into vinyl, but I've rigged up a pretty good system to burn stuff to CD, though I kinda like the bigger files, not MP3s.

I have A LOT of the usual suspects: Baxter, Denny, Lyman, Sumac. Loads of Esquivel, Mancini and a big collection of Hawaiian LPs. Some Chaino, Raskin, Frontiere, Drasnin, Garcia, Maxwell. So anyone in need of a some of this classic stuff, I can put something together for trade.

I'm looking for a copy of Portrait of Leda, or perhaps Garcia's Fantastica or Adventures in Sound. Plus weird stuff with a space theme is welcome.

There's lots more that I'm forgetting, but perhaps this will get the discussion going.

But if it's too complicated or "serious" to work out trades, I think making favorite compilations as Pablus suggests and just trading with folks just to see what they're listening too, would be fine with me, and maybe more fun. I could do an "I, Zombie" compilation, and others could do the same, and we could just see what we get.

I, Zombie

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie on 2005-06-09 13:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie on 2005-06-09 13:05 ]

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 1:17 pm   Permalink

Christie and I were talking about this thread last night, and we decided that we want to officially sanction a Hukilau collector's swap meet on Saturday afternoon (October from NOON until 'whenever' in the Bahia Mar ballroom.

This is the same room that the vendors are in, there will also be a DJ spinning music all afternoon, and Haole Kats are going to jump up onto the stage as well.

Of course there will be an array of tables all throughout the middle of the room, and we encourage Hukilau particiants to use these tables, and to bring LPs, CDs, postcards, matchbooks, menus, tiki mugs, wives, or anything else they care to swap.

Two rules: first, no sales. If you want to sell stuff, you'll have to get a vendors' table.

Second, if you're going to bring homemade copies of music that you don't own the copyright to, Christie and I don't want to know about it!

...unless you cut us in on free copies!

Have fun!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2005-09-12 17:40 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 2:19 pm   Permalink

I have made a couple of CDs of everything I have in the Island realm. I have lots of wav files, but I convert to MP3 and burn a few hundred songs on CD. Like 400+. Then I let you sift through it and see what you like.

That could be done with my lounge collection as well.

With a print out of the songs, it could be good. Or maybe copy everything over to a directory structure. Hmm. That gets to be work. I prefer to just dump it all on a CD and let you have at it.

Will trade my 400 song CD for yours. It's some online downloads and lots of my LP recordings.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 7:33 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a plan!

Perhaps we should come up with the most popularly accepted format for which to trade. One vintage album burned to a single CD seems like such a waste of space but might be the easiest way for people to choose what they want. I tend to be like Swanky in that I like to pile as many MP3s onto a disc as will fit. Even at the high bitrate that I tend to save things that can equal 10 to 12 albums per compact disc.
Of course, it might be best for everyone to simply show up with whatever they want to bring and leave the trading up to the traders. Either way... I'm In!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 8:06 pm   Permalink

TV,

Agreed. People do what they want and we can sort it out down there.

For me, although I can appreciate the cramming concept (getting as many MP3s onto a disc), I'm actually more interested in the home made compilation as art in itself. Taking into account song selection, how well songs move from one to the next, the overall mood evoked, even a nice Jewel case design, with comments from the compiler. I think it would be great to get a compilation from another tiki-file of the tracks that he/she plays when BBQing and making Mai Tai's on a Saturday night. Not just a catch all, but a select group of the songs that really move the person.

That's the route I'll be taking anyway. And if I can get my act together, I might make a few different comps.

I, Zombie

Lavaray

Posted: 2005-06-15 3:54 pm   Permalink

assuming I make it to the event, I'll bring my laptop loaded with tiki and lounge (I have some great italian lounge too). The laptop has a built in CD burner.

View Profile of Lavaray Send a personal message to Lavaray  Email Lavaray Goto the website of Lavaray     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 12:17 am   Permalink

Sounds like a plan! I'll bring a pile of stuff. Some playable in the average CD player. Some piled full of MP3s. Some compilations I've made for parties and such. Is it possible to have ownership of too many Tiki, Exotica or Tropical songs? I, personally, think not.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation