FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 2:53 pm   Permalink

Help your ol' pal Atomic Cocktail: I'm searching for but cannot find the following alcoholic beverages:

OLD TOM GIN: There are 3 types of gin, Dry Gin (almost all gins today are "dry"), Plymouth and Old Tom Gin. Old Tom is a sweetened version that was commonly used in many cocktails until recently. It is still made in England but have been unable to find it anywhere in the US. I've found Plymouth Gin at beverage Warehouse in Marina del Rey, Ca.

BATAVIA ARRACK: Made in Indonesia, it's a rum style liquor distilled from rice and/or coconut juice. Not to be confused with Middle Eastern Arak or Raki, the anise flavored alcohol (like ouzo). I found it's popular in the Netherlands and Sri Lanka. It was very popular for flavoring punches in the US.

So help AC track down these nectars and I'll raise my glass to you while I poison myself.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-06 3:31 pm   Permalink

A Dutch company has Batavia Arrack showing on their product page:
Batavia Arrack
With any luck, Beverage Warehouse may be able to order some through a distributor that deals with E&A Scheer.

Good luck & keep us posted!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-06-06 3:46 pm   Permalink

Wray & Nephew in Jamaica also makes Old Tom Gin. So you could fly to Jamaica and pick some up while you're picking up Pimento Liqueur. Oh, grab me a couple of bottles while you're down there.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-06-06 3:56 pm   Permalink

Some interesting trivia. The original Tom Collins was made with Old Tom gin, while a John Collins was made with London dry gin. Now a Tom Collins is made with dry gin, while a John Collins is made with whiskey.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 01:20 am   Permalink

Websie quote;
"Tom Collins"
Some say that the Tom Collins was named after "Old Tom" Gin which is a sweetened gin used rarely today. Most older recipes call for "Old Tom"."

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-07 08:28 am   Permalink

Hey Atomic,

I've been trying to locate Plymouth Gin Navy Strength to no avail. Have you been able to locate a source for it?

http://www.plymouthgin.com/index.cfm?articleid=86
"At a hefty strength of 57% abv, Navy Strength offers a more intense and rich taste to the Original Strength. The fragrant and aromatic botanicals are amplified at this stronger strength..."

It's my understanding that the Navy Strength gin is what made Plymouth Gin famous, not the watered down so-called "original" version.

Any leads?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-07 5:12 pm   Permalink

Plymouth Gin is a regular BevMo item and is available in store and at BevMo.com for your convenience. Thank you and have a nice day.

Would you like help out to your car with that today?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-07 6:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Plymouth Gin is a regular BevMo...

But NOT the Navy Strength (along with the Sloe Gin and liqueurs). Only Plymouth Gin Orginal Strength is available in the US.

I haven't tried any international shipping sites... but I know they are there.

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-07 7:42 pm   Permalink

JerseyRED is right. BevMo only carries the "Original" Plymouth Gin, not the Navy Strength. Last week I spoke to the manager of the Torrance BevMo and was told that they can't even special order the Navy Strength.

I've looked on the internet and have so far only found one place selling it but they won't ship to the U.S.

Martiki, maybe you can pull some strings and get BevMo to find a distributor that can get Navy Strength Plymouth, Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack ????

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-08 08:21 am   Permalink

Sorry- didn't read that closely enough.

The system at BevMo identifies many products that BevMo doesn't carry, but are known to be carried by the distributors it works with. For example, Black Strap is something not on the shelves, but is something they can order.

If they're not in the system, it will be tough to get, but you might ask your local BevMo manager to contact the distributor for Plymouth to see if they can come up with the Navy Strength. It's no problem for him to check- just a quick email. No guarantees, though.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-08 08:26 am   Permalink

Wow, that site really makes me long to find a well made decent Sloe Gin. Any domestic ideas?

JaredB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-08 6:57 pm   Permalink

I haven't had any luck in the U.S. with Plymouth Navy either. I plan to get some on my next trip to the U.K. (or plead with a friend who's heading over there). I hate mailordering from overseas because you pay more for the shipping than for the bottle.

As for Sloe Gin, I'm a fan and here's what I've learned (in order of preference):

Plymouth Sloe Gin - you'll never find it in the U.S.. It's even hard to find in the U.K., but worth it. It's one of the only 'real' sloe gins left and tastes nothing like modern imitation products.

Bols Sloe Gin - A decent sloe gin which will work just fine for most cocktails. Sporadically available in the U.S..

Dekuyper Sloe Gin - Another decent sloe gin you'll find around in the U.S. It's a tossup between this and the Bols.

Arrow Sloe Gin - Not as good as Bols or Dekuypers. But use it if it's all you've got.

Hiram Walker Sloe Gin - Not worth using, even if it's all you've got. It's half the proof of other sloe gins and tastes like watered down cough syrup mixed with Rose's grenadine. It won't give you even an approximation of what the cocktail you're trying to make should taste like.

So that's my review of all of the above (which I own). The one I haven't tried is called Mohawk Sloe Gin (which Dr. Cocktail recommends as the best U.S. make). It is only available in a few states (NY, MA and LA for example) and I'm still tracking it down.

View Profile of JaredB Send a personal message to JaredB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JaredB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-08 8:17 pm   Permalink

To continue hijacking this thread re: Plymouth Gin, I should pass this along:

I've heard that Junipero gin (made in San Francisco by the folks who make Anchor Steam beer) is a good approximation of Plymouth Navy Strength gin. But I've never tried the two side by side so I can't say.
Maybe someone else out there will let us know?

It's available at bevmo among other places.

View Profile of JaredB Send a personal message to JaredB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 12:28 pm   Permalink

JaredB,

I've seen Plymouth Gin at Beverage Warehouse in marina del rey. I don't remeber which type is was but I'll have a lok next time I'm down there

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-13 11:13 pm   Permalink

Junipero is absolutely superb. It's not quite as strong as the Plymouth Navy, but it's a magnificent gin.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation