FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-05 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-14 16:22, JaredB wrote:
Yes, bevwar and a few other places have Plymouth gin, but it's not the Navy Strength. That one is U.K. only. Let's hope that changes in the future.

Hello, I'm Craig, and I run a large wine, beer & spirits distributor servicing Ohio & Kentucky. I used to work for the distributor of Plymouth in a previous position, and I'd like to add that (sadly) the Navy Strength is not imported to the US at this time. I wish that I had better news to report, but there are a few websites around where you can get gray-market import bottles (which I use to buy Absinthe)

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-11-05 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-05 22:30, Tiki_Cincy_Craig wrote:
... there are a few websites around where you can get gray-market import bottles...

Links please!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-07 8:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-05 22:34, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-05 22:30, Tiki_Cincy_Craig wrote:
... there are a few websites around where you can get gray-market import bottles...

Links please!

Try The Royal Mile Whiskies
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0400000000817
They will deliver to the States, however they will give you the standard disclaimer about not being able to guarantee delivery to the USA (as will all European retailers). They sell Havana Club Rum as well!

Cult Drinks ships to the USA as well, plus they have a few unusual rums too boot.
http://www.cultdrinks.co.uk/gin_more.asp?id=411&cid=3

Incidentally, for those who might be interested in The Green Fairy, Alandia ships genuine Absinthe to the USA http://www.alandia.de

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-07 8:41 pm   Permalink

this is cool just for the bottle!

http://www.cultdrinks.co.uk/rum_more.asp?id=417&cid=22

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-14 12:42 pm   Permalink

Picked up a bottle of Batavia Arrack at Hi-Time this weekend. Atomic Cocktail, when are you coming by to help me test it out?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-11-14 5:40 pm   Permalink

I have bought from Royal Mile before, but only whiskey. It's not as easy as getting something from Hi Times, but it's not that bad and it is the only way to get some stuff that is generally not available in the US.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 12:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-14 12:42, UtopianDreem wrote:
Picked up a bottle of Batavia Arrack at Hi-Time this weekend. Atomic Cocktail, when are you coming by to help me test it out?

Drink some UD, drink some!

I have a client who lives near Hi-times who promises to bring me a bottle next visit.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-30 2:48 pm   Permalink

I got a bottle of Batavia Arrak as a gift and quickly made some Arrak Punch. Let me tell you, it was nothing like the bottled "arraks punsch extract" from Saturnus (which has none of the aromatic arrak taste of the genuine article). I can only compare it to the difference between Roses' grenadine and the real thing made with pomegranates.

I used the recipe from the bottle as I was in a hurry to try it out:

2 oz. Batavia-Arrack van Oosten
1/2 oz. Rum
3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
3 oz. Water
A pinch of ground cardamom or nutmeg.

I have tried both spices and prefer the cardamom. This is excellent hot.

Jab, get yourself a bottle of this stuff!

AC

"Please play like nice children"

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-07 4:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-07 23:10, UtopianDreem wrote:
Well, so far no luck on getting Batavia Arak, but got some info. Grunerwald Batavia Arak is sold in the Netherlands but the supplier, H. van Toor Jz. Distillery B.V., does not have a US distributor.

ya'll were ahead of the curve ~ its becoming available now:

an article
Out of the Blue: Batavia Arrack Comes Back

"If last Sundayís New York Times T magazine is to be believed, Batavia arrack is one of the "New Staples"óone of the top ingredients of the season. If thatís the case, then never has one spirit gone so far so fast, from a century-plus of obscurity to must-have status in the liquor cabinet.

Produced since at least the early 17th-century on the island of Java, Batavia arrack is rumís funky ancestor. Made from sugarcane and fermented red rice (one quibble with the Times story: while Sri Lankan arrack made from palm sap has a similar name, itís a totally different creature), this smoky, aromatic spirit was a marinerís favorite for years, and was an essential ingredient in punch until well into the 19th-century. Eventually supplanted by rum, Batavia arrack faded from the back bar and the liquor store; in recent years it was primarily found close to its Asian roots, as well as in parts of Northern Europe, where it appeared in chocolates, desserts and sweetened, flavored punches.

And so it would have remained, had not a small but thirsty market of vintage spirits geeks in the U.S. persuaded Eric Seed, a Minnesota-based importer and principal at Haus Alpenz, to start bringing this obscure ingredient into the country. Now, 11 months after the first bottles began turning up in higher-end bars and liquor stores, the paper of record has dubbed it a staple.

I donít know if Iíd go that far, but I will say that Batavia arrack is worth investigating. The flavor is a bit coarser and more rustic than many spirits out there now, but the arrack has a distinctive aroma, somewhere between Haitian rum and single-malt Scotch, that makes it an interesting ingredient to work with. Accented with spice, citrus and black tea and softened with sugar, the arrack also makes a memorable punch that tastes something like history. Batavia arrack isnít the easiest thing to find, but if you do some searching, the result will be worthwhile"

$33 for 750 milliliters
Union Square Wines & Spirits
140 Fourth Avenue
(212) 675-8100
unionsquarewines.com.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2008-12-13 5:14 pm   Permalink

Just today while stocking up I found Old Tom Gin at Beverage Warehouse in Mar Vista AND Batavia Arrack at BevMo in Torrance.

Gotta go to two places to get both, but they are available.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Xndr du Sauvage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-14 07:41 am   Permalink

Speaking of Old Tom, here's Felten's column from yesterday:
Reviving the Martini's Lost Ancestor

"As recently as a year ago, David Wondrich lamented in his book "Imbibe!" that hopes for tasting a Martinez were slim: "The loss of Old Tom gin is irreparable."

But no longer. A British spirits company, Hayman Distillers, has dusted off an old family recipe for Old Tom, and the vintage gin is now being brought into the U.S. by importers Haus Alpenz. "

View Profile of Xndr du Sauvage Send a personal message to Xndr du Sauvage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2008-12-15 07:41 am   Permalink

For those of you in Oregon and SW Washington, a couple of updates.

First, House Spirits
http://www.housespirits.com/House%20Spirits.html is coming out with an Old Tom gin in January '09. I tasted a sample at last weekend's open house, and liked it a lot.

Second, I spotted Batavia Arrack at Pearl Speciality Market & Spirits at NW 9th & Lovejoy in Portland. Didn't look at the price.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 10:59 am   Permalink

I recently encountered a bottle of Batavia Arak for $30 at a Total Wine and More shop in Roseville, CA. Is it really worth that chunk of change?

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2009-03-25 11:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2009-03-25 11:01 ]

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 6:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[iShaun of theTiki wrote:[/i]
I recently encountered a bottle of Batavia Arak for $30 at a Total Wine and More shop in Roseville, CA. Is it really worth that chunk of change?

Yes.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-12-04 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-09 12:44, martiki wrote:

BTW, I have met the promotions rep for Plymouth Gin, who is a famous local bartender. He tells me there are currently no plans to bring Navy strength to the US, but he's lobbying and hoping that will change. He's supposed to be coming over to see me at Vic's with some samples of Navy Strength as well as Plymouth's Sloe Gin and Fruit Cup. Can't wait!

Seven years later...

Update! Plymouth Gin Navy Strength is now available in the US. I wonder for how long that's been going on? I just saw that Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey carries it, 750ml bottle for $34.95. Hi Times in Costa Mesa has it as well ($31.99). Sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to find for anyone at this point.

Oh, the Plymouth Sloe Gin is available too. I picked up a bottle at Total Wine a few months ago. It was the best sloe gin Evar! Well at least as far as sloe gin's that I have tasted...

Here's a good recipe from the excellent book
"Boozehound" that called for it (sloe gin that is).

Philly Sling
1 1/2 ounce applejack
1 ounce Plymouth sloe gin
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 ounce simple syrup
2 dashes Angustura bitters

Fill a mixing glass halfway with ice. Add the applejack, sloe gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and bitters. Stir vigorously, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Yeah, I know, it's not a Tiki drink but it was still good.

Now to pick up a bottle of the Plymouth Gin Navy Strength.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation