[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki New documentary film on the Minutemen
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New documentary film on the Minutemen
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-07 11:23 am   Permalink

Not the revolutionary war Minutemen, it's about the early-1980s band from San Pedro. They started out hardcore punk but later developed a unique sound. The singer D. Boon died in a car accident in 1985. Bass player Mike Watt still plays frequently with his great new band.

Schedule and more here:

http://www.theminutemen.com/home.html

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 12:20 pm   Permalink

I love the Minutemen! I bought Double Nickels on the Dime and Black Flag's Damage when I was in high school for 2 reasons, to consciously divert myself from the musical path my friends were all taking (Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Phil Collins) and to piss off my parents. Damage did the trick of pissing off my parents, but I really fell in love with the Minutemen, they led me down the rabbit hole and I never looked back. They were the first band that captured for me the anger I felt about the state of the world. I saw the last tour before D Boon died, and sadly, I had no appreciation for what I had seen until about 10 years later. I think of them when we drive to Palm Springs and pass San Pedro. I just watched the trailer on the link and got all teary. I think I'll go home and listen to double nickels!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-06-07 12:58 pm   Permalink

Another great thing about the band is that they had the guts to forge their own sound and broke away from the short and fast hardcore song formula (which I think is how they got their name because their songs originally were all about a minute long). Listening to their last album "3-Way Tie For Last" (which has some brilliant songs among some so-so ones) it seems like they were on the verge of making it big right when D. Boon died.

And their message seems to be still very relevant today, for example songs like "Political Nightmare" and "Just Another Soldier".

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 1:44 pm   Permalink

Yeah, it sounds like it's a great documentary. Might be a little tricky finding a screening, but I understand there's going to be a DVD that packs in almost twice the number of songs shown (all in full - no clips) on the film version.

Mike Watt's hootpage is always inspiring reading, particularly the tour diaries that date back many years. What happened to Watt after the Minutemen stopped is a fascinating story in itself. Worthy of another doc!

http://www.hootpage.com/

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 2:05 pm   Permalink

I did see firehose a bunch of times in the late 80's and early 90's. They were always great, pretty manic! Mike Watt seemed to channel his anger over D. Boone's death into the music, and at the sound guy at the club.

Recently I've been listening to older Sonic Youth, and I love the song that is Mike Watt leaving a message for Thurston Moore, re: the bag of dope Thurston apparently lost in their van. It reminds me of the days of my youth, when you could just walk right up to guys in bands and start talking about music! The minutemen always seemed like regular guys to me.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 5:17 pm   Permalink

Yeah, the Minutemen were one of the best. D. Boon's untimely death hit me like a hammer. Double Nickel still gets played around here (along with Mike Watt's Contenplating The Engine Room). Thanks for the post Jab.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2005-06-07 17:19 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 11:48 pm   Permalink

I just couldn't get into Firehose. That Ed guy gave me the creeps.
I remember seeing the Minutemen play at McCabes Guitar shop not too long after D. Boone had died.
I can't remember who stood in and played for D. Boone, his guitar stood on stage propped up against his amp all night, so alone.
Ray Manzarek opened for them.
It was a incredibly sad and somber night, everyones hearts were broken and still beeding.
About a year ago Mike and George reunited playing Minutemen songs, songs they hadn't played in almost 20 years.
We went and saw them in Pedro, there on stage stood a much older (and thinner) Mike Watt his thunderstick and George with his drums. It was an amazing show.
When they'd get to where D. Boone would have had a solo in the song, the stage would fall silent, no one played a thing, not a note.
The funny thing is, I could hear every single note in my head just as if D. Boone was playing on that stage, where he should have been. But he wasn't, and my heart was still broken...

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-06-08 07:47 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 3:35 pm   Permalink

The Minutemen are one of my all time faves. I had a writer ask me what would be the five albums I'd want to have if stranded on a desert island and without hesitation I mentioned "Double Nickels on the Dime." Thanks, The Jab for posting this. I hope to make one of the screenings at Yerba Buena (before my soul collapses into a big guilt wad).

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

So, has anyone gone to see this? It's wrapping up at YBCA in SF this Thursday, and I'm going to try to drag myself to it!
But the reality is, I may be too pregnant to relive my punk rock glory days, and will have to see how I feel. Hopefully it will be out on DVD? If anyone has seen it, and highly recommends seeing it with a great sound system, please let me know, and I'll make the effort!

thanks-
Mrs. Pineapple

thejab

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:26 pm   Permalink

Mrs. P, I'm going tomorrow night at 7:00.

mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:13 pm   Permalink

We're going to attempt to see it Thursday, depending on how tired I am that day...

otherwise, it's netflix, baby!

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 6:44 pm   Permalink

nice link

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-07-26 6:45 pm   Permalink

I hope its more accurate of the scene back then than 'The Decline of Western Civilization' was.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-07-28 11:06 am   Permalink

I saw it last night. The movie was:

Insightful - The Minutemen were a mysterious band, and the movie really does a good job at revealing what they were all about through numerous interviews with the band and friends.

Inspirational - They formed a band with no musical knowledge (Mike Watt revealed that he thought a bass had the same strings as a guitar but just one fewer) and managed to develop a unique sound, and they didn't care about getting famous or rich - they are the ultimate example of DIY.

Exciting - There was lots of live footage of the band in all different size shows, from the Cathay de Grande to Irvine Meadows, and in all cases entire songs were shown uncut (many of their songs are short so they could pack a lot of tunes in the movie).

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 18:45, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I hope its more accurate of the scene back then than 'The Decline of Western Civilization' was.

The movie is nothing like the Decline as that movie attempted to cover the hardcore scene while We Jam Econo only profiles one band - a band that were considered by many to be outside the scene because they didn't sound and dress punk (under a narrow definition of punk). Looking back they were more like the original punks (from the Seeds to the Stooges to the Sex Pistols) than many other bands because they invented a new sound instead of merely copying, which is so rare these days.

Go see it! Even if you missed out on the band in the 80s I think you'll like the movie. It's playing one more night tonight in SF and tonight in Portland for one night, then it plays around the country. It will play again in LA on 9/30-10/6.

http://www.theminutemen.com/screenings.html

mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-28 12:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jab, I don't know if we're going to make it to SF tonight. I'm really hoping the dvd will come out, and I can see it. I'll look for it though. I've been listening to double nickels in the car the last week, and it's pretty cool how smart these guys were. I have in my head, right this second, the Minutemen version of Steely Dan's 'Dr. Wu'. I'm not even sure if I can appropriately gauge the irony of them covering this song. But who cares!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation