[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki New documentary film on the Minutemen
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New documentary film on the Minutemen
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-28 1:24 pm   Permalink

I hope it comes out on DVD because I'lll buy a copy.

One of my favorite parts in the movie was this "unplugged" set where they were filmed playing seated close together on a stage with D. Boon on electric guitar, Mike Watt on acoustic guitar, and George Hurley on bongos! When they played "I Felt Like a Gringo" it was brilliant!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 5:51 pm   Permalink

Back in the day, my band (Mind Over Four) opened up for the Minutemen at a joint called the Anticlub on Melrose in Hollyhood. As a drummer I was blown away by George Hurley's ability and creativeness and proceeded to steal several of his chops for use on subsequent MO4 albums. Can't wait to see the movie!

[ This Message was edited by: tikitortured 2005-08-09 17:52 ]

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-09 17:51, tikitortured wrote:
Back in the day, my band (Mind Over Four) opened up for the Minutemen at a joint called the Anticlub on Melrose in Hollyhood. As a drummer I was blown away by George Hurley's ability and creativeness and proceeded to steal several of his chops for use on subsequent MO4 albums. Can't wait to see the movie!

[ This Message was edited by: tikitortured 2005-08-09 17:52 ]

Was I at that show? I can't remember anymore. I know I saw you guys somewhere, & I would hang out at the Anti-Club back then, & I loved the Minutemen, so that might've been it.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 09:23 am   Permalink

Yeah, you were probably there. Everyone who was anyone was there...and you are someone, so the answer is yes, you were there.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-19 3:44 pm   Permalink

I got his e-mail from Mike Watt's newsletter, thought I'd share it with people who are interested:

Quote:

> from: mike watt
> Date: Apr 26, 2006 8:12 AM
> Subject: upcoming "we jam econo" double-dvd minutemen documentary
>
>
> upcoming "we jam econo" double-dvd minutemen documentary
>
> http://www.theminutemen.com/store.html
>
> (pre-order info at the above link)
>
> the dvd is almost ready! here are the details:
>
> release date: june 27th, 2006
>
> two-disc dvd set with over 5 hours of interviews, live performances
> and archival footage!
>
> disc 1:
>
> - feature "we jam econo" - the story of the minutemen (90min)
> - original music videos for: "this ain't no picnic," "ack ack ack
> ack" and "king of the hill"
> - 19 deleted scenes and interviews
> - uncut bard college interview (56min)
> - english subtitles for the hearing impaired
>
> disc 2:
>
> 62 live songs from three full performances:
> - the starwood los angeles, ca - november 18th, 1980 (includes
> multi-angle feature)
> - 9:30 club washington, d.c. - 1984
> - acoustic blowout (cable access show) - hollywood, ca - 1985
>
> - 16-page booklet with full color photos, flyers, filmmaker notes and
> liner notes by david rees, creator of get your war on.
>
> format: ntsc
> encoding: all regions (0)
>
> this package is almost three and half times longer than the "we jam
> econo" feature now showing in theatres
>
> myspace "we jam econo" place:
> http://www.myspace.com/wejamecono
>
> --> please forward this to everywhere you see fit! <--

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:11 am   Permalink

While looking for more info on the Minutemen DVD I found several long lost EPs recorded by the Minutemen back in '79 (as The Reactionaries) & '80 (The "Georgeless" EP, recorded with original Drummer Frank Tonche), plus various other recordings of the Minutemen and related side projects. All have Mike's OK to be downloaded.

http://www.corndogs.org

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-10 09:18 am   Permalink

Good Minutemen/firehose memories:
#1 playing a live radio show at Ucsd right before firehose played at the triton pub and George and Mike looked into the studio and gave me the thumbs up while we were playing
#2 Recording an album at Radio Tokyo with Ethan James and seeing our master tapes on top of firehose's Ragin Full On master
#3 borrowing a stack of firehose stickers from Radio Tokyo before SST made them available
#4 Opening for firehose at the Music machine fundraiser for kxlu and seeing Mike watt's piece of shit van and thinking how cool it was that I had a better car and I was only 18 and far less famous.
#5 Going to Splat's house and seeing the original paintings by D. Boon for Project Mersh and Three way tie. Splat was a childhood friend of D's and had all kinds of D Boon art stuff lying around. He also had a ton of bootlegs.
#6 Having Ethan James sign my copy of Buzz or Howl under the influence of heat on vinyl
#7 Wearing my Roar of the masses could be farts tshirt when I was the best man at my friends wedding. The shirt lasted longer than the marriage.
#8 Listening to my crazy friend Tom talk about the CIA killing D boon because of the whole USA Out of central america thing. He told me in 86 that Jello Biafra was next.
#9 first time I heard King of the Hill
#10 Working at a record store and opening the box from SST and seeing Double Nickels on the Dime on CD for the first time
I love the Minutemen...

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 11:25 pm   Permalink

It made it to cable

Sundance Channel: We Jam Econo

Dec 11 & 22

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 3:30 pm   Permalink

I rented We Jam Econo on DVD from netflix, it was good!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 9:54 pm   Permalink

YouTube: We Jam Econo

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 10:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks KB the 33rd!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-01 07:56 am   Permalink

It's also available on Instant Netflix.
First time I saw them they opened for Black Flag at the Starwood.

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-01 2:39 pm   Permalink

From We Got Power Films FaceBook post
"Sad news to report, We Jam Econo filmmaker Keith Schieron has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation