[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Best Version of Quiet Village
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Best Version of Quiet Village
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 2:45 pm   Permalink

So in your humble opinion what is the best version of Quiet Village?

Me, I am personally inclined to say that I like the version by Les Baxter on Ritual of the Savage (Le Sacre du Sauvage.

What are your thoughts/opinions?

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-09 3:53 pm   Permalink

My relatively newbie opinion says--the Martin Denny Version, for me! From either Mondo Exotica, or "The Exotic Sounds".

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 5:26 pm   Permalink

This one is easy. I saw King Kukulele play Quiet Village at Tiki Taix a couple of months ago accompanied by his brother on Saxophone. Yes - SAXOPHONE. It was the best version of Quiet Village I've heard, hands down. Too bad its not on a CD or anything - although, there was someone in the audience recording the show on video.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 7:34 pm   Permalink

Well, the best live version I ever heard was at the Pipe Organ Pizza parlour in Milwaukee Wis. It was an off night (tues or wednesday), and the older guy playing the organ wasn't the hot shot dude that played on Fri and Sat nights (and did all the stuff from Phantom of the Opera, and that sort of thing).

Well I requested Quiet Village, and the organist had to think long and hard to remember it. He fiddled around, and then a light went off, and he started off with those low bass notes, and then he went to town -- using every crazy instrument that was hooked up to the pipe organ (that they hung on the walls behind him).

Just amazing!

On LP, I like Baxter. For something odd, listen to Lalo Schifrin's version off of Black Widow.

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie on 2005-06-09 19:35 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-11 5:05 pm   Permalink

I guess I would say the version by The Surfmen from "Exotic Island" (also released as The South Sea Serenaders, "Trade Winds Romance From Hawaii To Tahiti"). I say that because it is the one that really makes it sound quite different from the original, yet completely still classic exotica. I also think it's probably one of the best exotic LPs out there.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 11:06 am   Permalink

"Queit Village Bossa Nova" by Martin Denny. Awesome!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 7:42 pm   Permalink

Grabbed a copy of Music of Hawaii by Henry Mancini at at flea market this past weekend. Although I can't say it's my "favorite" (a situation that changes from week to week or hour to hour depending on my rum consumption) I'd have to say it contains the best Quiet Village I've heard for the first time in a while. Of course... I like the weird-ass vocal version on Hawaii Right Now! by the Aliis, so you might wanna take everything I type with a grain of sea salt.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 1:13 pm   Permalink

I must admit I like the disco version by The Ritchie Family. <duck!>

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:08 pm   Permalink

Not my favourite version, but listen to Lalo Schifrin's 1970s version of 'Quiet Village' from the CTI Records 'Black Widow' album. An excellent example of Polyester Exotica.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:02 pm   Permalink

Would love to hear a Punk version.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:28 pm   Permalink

my fav is arthur lyman's version of Quiet Village on bahia.

there is also a great version on a pipe organ lp i bought a while back called george wright at the mighty wurlitzer pipe organ. in that version the bird sounds are the "real thing" according to the album cover. this guy is the grandad of hip hop since unless they were pulling out tail feathers as it was recorded the birds were sampled. this pipe organ version is tikicleens fav version.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-21 7:36 pm   Permalink

Right now my favorite version is the one by Vincent Bell on the album Pop Goes the Sitar. Selector Lopaka put it on the CD Music to Crawl By 2: Crawling Home I got on the Northwest Tiki Bar Crawl last weekend. It's a real way out version man!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-22 09:21 am   Permalink

I've got the Les Baxter and the Martin Denny versions. I guess I like Les a tad better, but not enough to say its way better than Martin's version. I also appreciate that the old Pee Wee Herman show had a bit of exotica based on Quiet Village to start off his kiddie show back in the 80's.

All Hail Floyd!! (Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-24 12:08 am   Permalink

Someone mentioned the Astronauts version, either here or on another thread. Check it out here. I really dig this version - you have to kind of think about it to recognize the melody since it's all surfed up in their take. More recently, Thee Phantom 5ive also cover the Astronauts surf style version of the tune.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 07:02 am   Permalink

I just found a version on my Ipod that I didn't realize I had... I don't even know where I got it from! Don Tiare and the Alohas from an album called "The Music of Les Baxter." Nice mellow version complete with bird calls!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation