[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Best Version of Quiet Village
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Best Version of Quiet Village
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-17 08:17 am   Permalink

I just picked up the Trade Winds LP from Mr. Earl Grant. TC and DH - that pipe organ version sounds intriguing, Earl Grant does his on an organ of some sort (not sure what kind, the old records never give enough information...) and it is AWESOME. He gives it a real lounge feel to it and none of this "real" sounding bird calls, he does it all on the organ. Very cool stuff.

also, on the same record, is a real kick butt version of the "girl from ipanema"

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 11:06 am   Permalink

Posted Podcast # 19 - Quiet Village. In this episode, Vic plays 14 different versions of the classic exotica track.

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 11:28 am   Permalink

How about an "imitation" Quiet Village number?
I recently came across a budget label (Wyncote) LP at a thrift store, "The Girl From Ipanema" by Jimmy Davis & Norma Lee (whoever they were....). Side ! features bossa nova vocals by Norma in a direct rip-off style of Astrud Gilberto...sweet.
Side 2 are instrumentals, including a song entitled, interestingly, "Astrud." It's just like a Les Baxter/Martin Denny number, repetitive intro, ohhing & ahhing voices, vibes, piano...clearly they were doing an exotica number. I'm surprised this number didn't show up on any of the budget exotica rip-off LPs, it's quite nice.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 2:02 pm   Permalink

alittle off base, but noteworthy none-the-less is todd rundgren's exotica version of "Hello it's me" on his "with a twist" album. It's complete with birdcalls and background vocals by the "natives".......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 09:00 am   Permalink

iŽll give it a try!
Quote:

On 2005-06-20 22:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
Would love to hear a Punk version.

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 3:47 pm   Permalink

You know, BigBroTiki, the Aliis did a vocal version of "Quiet Village" ten years before the Don Ho one from 1979. It's on the 1967 LP, HAWAII RIGHT NOW! DON HO PRESENTS THE ALIIS... with a total 'Hawaii Goes Mod' album jacket... blurred go-go dancers in psychedelic outfits. It's totally genius!

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 6:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-28 15:47, BC-Da-Da wrote:
You know, BigBroTiki, the Aliis did a vocal version of "Quiet Village" ten years before the Don Ho one from 1979. It's on the 1967 LP, HAWAII RIGHT NOW! DON HO PRESENTS THE ALIIS... with a total 'Hawaii Goes Mod' album jacket... blurred go-go dancers in psychedelic outfits. It's totally genius!

Totally correct BC-Da-Da. It's one of the versions included in the Quiet Village podcast.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 10:52 pm   Permalink

Uh... Yeah. Didn't I mention that back on Page 1 of this thread? Oops! I did call it "weird-ass," but that was just 'cause it's, well... weird. Great! But weird.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-26 08:46 am   Permalink

How about... the SOUL version of Quiet Village?

On iTunes, there's a version by the Ritchie Family from the album "African Queens" that sets our beloved tune to a pulsing disco beat and features some lyrics such as:
"you sexy thing, you turn me on
keep rocking steady all night long"

It's terrific! EDIT: whoops, this was mentioned awhile back... sorry for the duplicate post.
~Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2005-10-26 12:38 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-05 7:39 pm   Permalink

All of them.

The Cramps (believe it or not!) also do a great version of "Taboo" on their album "Fiends of Dope Island."

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-06 2:00 pm   Permalink

You can't go wrong with the "Surfmen"

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 11:04 am   Permalink

How about the solo slack-key guitar version by Japanese musician Yuki "Alani" Yamauchi? I met Mr. Yamauchi at a party this summer in Hawaii Kai, following a guest appearance he made at Led Ka'apana's kiho'alu slack-key guitar workshop down at the Sheraton. His arrangement of Quiet Village is in G and he does his best to make birdcalls while he plays. The great thing about slack-key, to me, is the intricacy of the lines and voice-leading; Yamauchi was able to weave some nice countermelodies between the ever-so-famous bass line and the melody. All this while Yamauchi held a beer between his knees and I was drinking one too. I happened to have a WAITIKI DVD handy and gave it to him - hopefully we'll cross paths again one day soon. Ah, the brotherhood of tiki.....

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation