[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » So Cal Earthquake, 6/12/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
So Cal Earthquake, 6/12/05
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 08:46 am   Permalink

Just felt an earthquake, checked the USGS website and it looks like it was around 5, and inland from here... everyone ok? Everyone's mugs ok?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 08:50 am   Permalink

Looks like it was around 5.6, and south of here, southwest of Palm Springs:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14151344.htm

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 09:03 am   Permalink

Scared the hell out of me. I was watching Hawaiian Eye on TV Land when the house started shaking. No broken mugs, but I'll be buying more earthquake hold today.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 09:05 am   Permalink

Map with area reports of how strongly it was felt

ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 2:29 pm   Permalink

I didn't feel it, but Krustiki did. He thought I was shaking his chair. All of our hanging lamps were swaying, especially the puffer fish lamp. Fortunately nothing fell off the shelves.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 08:09 am   Permalink

All cheap, non valuable mugs and Disneyland props are just fine....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-12 09:05, Humuhumu wrote:
Map with area reports of how strongly it was felt

I was driving. Felt nothing. A lot of people at the church (Hollywood) felt it.

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 09:52 am   Permalink

The first thump felt like something fell in the house, so I went upstairs to see if anything did... that's when the roll started. It was a nice couple jolts, but (thankfully) nothing fell.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-13 11:20 pm   Permalink

Who's a jumpy California transplant?

jk, h2

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-13 23:20, martiki wrote:

jk, h2

Not exactly... I went through regular earthquakes in Seattle, including a biggie a few years ago... I barely felt this one.

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-06-14 12:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-13 23:20, martiki wrote:

Certainly not I. My wife and I were knocking tectonics ourselves at the time. No stranger to the art of subduction, I had already set off a number of small tremors and foreshocks by focusing my energies on the epicenter of her ring of fire, when suddenly, my Blind Thrust Fault locked with her Benioff Zone, triggering a seismic moment that registered completely off the Richter Scale, resulting in the liquification of her molten core and my own personal tsunami. I don't mean to brag, but there were several moderate aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or greater. If I had known about the earthquake, I would have asked her if I had made the Earth move for her, but unfortunately, neither one of us noticed it.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-14 12:54 am   Permalink

Slept right through the whole thing.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-14 05:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

Certainly not I. My wife and I were knocking tectonics ourselves at the time. No stranger to the art of subduction, I had already set off a number of small tremors and foreshocks by focusing my energies on the epicenter of her ring of fire, when suddenly, my Blind Thrust Fault locked with her Benioff Zone, triggering a seismic moment that registered completely off the Richter Scale, resulting in the liquification of her molten core and my own personal tsunami. I don't mean to brag, but there were several moderate aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or greater. If I had known about the earthquake, I would have asked her if I had made the Earth move for her, but unfortunately, neither one of us noticed it.

Sabu

Hmmm... I wonder what Lucy Jones would have to say about that!

(FYI - Dr. Lucy Jones of USGS is So. Cals. 'go to gal' for instant earthquake info. She's all smart like that.)
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:00 pm   Permalink

O.K. I just felt that one!! 1:54 P.M., Thursday the 16th. I think it was out San Bernadino way - pretty good shake in Pasadena!!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:07 pm   Permalink

first earthquakes, then tsunami warnings, then rain and snow in June, and my mother and I had flat tires on the same morning (two separate counties); and when I went to get my tire fixed I heard the song "Its the End of the World as We Know It" by REM playing in the fix it shop.

I'm inclined to hope it's not true, but I have not been presented with facts and statistics establishing otherwise...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation