Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki So Cal Earthquake, 6/12/05
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
So Cal Earthquake, 6/12/05
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-16 14:00, PapeToaTane wrote:
O.K. I just felt that one!! 1:54 P.M., Thursday the 16th. I think it was out San Bernadino way - pretty good shake in Pasadena!!

It must've been a good one, PTT, I felt it in SD. I'd check the Cal Tech & CNN sites for updates.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:29 pm   Permalink

LOS ANGELES, June 16 (Reuters) - A moderate earthquake of magnitude 5.3 shook the Los Angeles area on Thursday afternoon at 1:53 p.m. PT (2053 GMT), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was centered around Yucaipa, California, 79 miles (126 km) east of Los Angeles.

"My apartment rattled and I had glass fall off a very heavy armoire," Riverside, California resident Raven Lopez Workman told a local television station. "My dogs went insane."

Buildings in downtown Los Angeles swayed during the quake, but there were no visible signs of damage, witnesses said.

The temblor was the third significant seismic event to occur in California this week, coming two days after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake off the coast of northern California that briefly triggered tsunami warnings and four days after a 5.2 quake shook the desert near Palm Springs. in southern California.

A 5.3 magnitude earthquake can cause considerable damage.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:40 pm   Permalink

"The Tiki Farm shelves were swayin' in that old la la la way" oh yes we're goin' to a Hukilau!

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 2:44 pm   Permalink

I swear I felt one in NorCal the other morning, but the closest one was only a 2.1 in Daly City, we wouldn't have felt that in the East Bay.

hang on kiddies

Hurricane Schmurricane, I'll take earthquakes any day!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 3:02 pm   Permalink

Wow! I'm out here in The 909 at work (Inland Empire) and we felt it pretty good! I was just heading back to the office after lunch and starting up my car when all of a sudden my car starts bouncing up and down and rocking from side to side! I thought something was wrong with my car until I realized what had happened! I still wasn't sure until I turned on the radio. My staff back at the office said we had visitors from out of state waiting in the lobby when the earthquake hit. They just sat there wide-eyed as if they had just seen the ghost of Trader Vic! Luckily, no damage here. We are about 30 miles west of the epicenter. I'm gonna need a few mai tais after that one to calm my nerves!!! Hopefully, I still have mugs to drink from!

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 3:51 pm   Permalink

Greetings from Earthquake Central.

Luckily I was not home when it happened, but as soon as I heard where the epicenter was, I told my boss I was leaving and sped home. I had visions of serious tiki mug catastrophy in my mind. When I got off the freeway I kept seeing fire trucks and emergency vehicles passing by.

Fortunately, the only things out of place were a couple of plastic mugs that fell off a shelf. It also knocked over a tube of Chapstick in my bathroom.

Whew.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-16 14:07, dangergirl299 wrote:
... I heard the song "Its the End of the World as We Know It" by REM playing in the fix it shop.

I'm inclined to hope it's not true, but I have not been presented with facts and statistics establishing otherwise...

There are many parts of the world as I know it that I wouldn't mind if they ended.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 4:08 pm   Permalink

This one shook pretty good. I'm on the third floor of a medical building in Beverly Hills, and all the equipment was swaying and rattling. This was a good reminder that I need to get out the "earthquake putty" for all the breakable stuff at home.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 05:04 am   Permalink

I was flying into LA from Phoenix and a guy next to me who had spent a week there said to me, You know how everyone says that California will slide into the sea during a big earthquake? Well that cannot happen, because Arizona sucks!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-16 14:40, smogbreather wrote:
"The Tiki Farm shelves were swayin' in that old la la la way" oh yes we're goin' to a Hukilau!

Have you strapped those yet like I said many moons ago??? You'll be sorry one of these days!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 09:43 am   Permalink

Yet another earthquake off San Francisco?

(edited to corrct spelling mr. bong)

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-06-18 13:44 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 5:48 pm   Permalink

Hope All you SoCal TC'rs are OK. I didn't feel a thing and neither did anyone else on my street!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 06:36 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:28 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation