FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Trader Vic's ~ Bellevue Washington
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Trader Vic's ~ Bellevue Washington
dogbytes

Posted: 2005-06-15 07:46 am   Permalink

Seattle Times

ohholycow! i had no idea this was in the works!

Taste of the Town
A Bellevue Trader Vic's
By Nancy Leson
Seattle Times restaurant critic

I thought my neighbors Tom and Barb Robinson were the only Trader Vic's-ionados willing to travel the globe for a Tiki Tiki Puka. They've been crying into their pupu platters — eaten elsewhere, unfortunately — since "Trader Vic" Bergeron's Polynesian palace closed in Seattle's Westin hotel back in 1991. So, as it turns out, have Werner and Rosanne Sondheim of Bellevue.

Like the Robinsons, they've traveled to "The Trader's" in Europe and made pilgrimages to Trader Vic's in Emeryville, Calif. — where the company got its start in 1938. And they, too, have fond memories of Trader Vic's original Seattle site (née "The Outrigger" in the Benjamin Franklin Hotel, later razed to make way for the Westin's second tower, where Trader Vic's relocated). It was there that the Sondheims were engaged in 1955. Which helps explain the emotional attachment and why Werner called to say he'd heard Trader Vic's was coming back to town — truth or rumor?

Well, hold on to your mai tais, my friends, because Trader Vic's, now a $50 million empire of company-owned and franchised restaurants, is slated to open late this year in the Lincoln Square complex in Bellevue.

"Many prominent citizens of Seattle and Bellevue who knew Trader Vic's from way, way back are investing in the project," notes Hans Richter, president and CEO of Trader Vic's, who has been with the company since 1969 and still has the blueprint of The Outrigger's kitchen layout ("It cost about 10 percent of what a kitchen costs today!").

"Ours is a little different from the normal franchise," Richter explained. "We stay involved, building the restaurant and assisting the owners in developing the management team and training restaurant personnel."

Among the faces behind this new version of the old favorite are local restaurateur Larry Hamlin (who helped find the $3.5 million to get the job done) and restaurant consultant Arnold Shain. Paul Reder, owner of Bellevue's Tap House Grill (550 106th Ave. N.E., 425-467-1730), is on tap as managing partner, says Richter.

Bellevue's new Trader Vic's will have the distinctive look of Trader Vic's everywhere, Richter says — right down to the "famous" Chinese oven.

And making certain that longtime patrons like the Robinsons and the Sondheims will feel doubly at home, he points out that the Bellevue restaurant will hold a prominent place in Lincoln Square: directly opposite the entrance to a new 337-room Westin hotel.

[ This Message was edited by: dogbytes on 2005-06-15 07:48 ]

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 07:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-15 07:46, dogbytes wrote:
I thought my neighbors Tom and Barb Robinson were the only Trader Vic's-ionados willing to travel the globe for a Tiki Tiki Puka.

Wrong!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Crowntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-15 09:45 am   Permalink

Thank broofness the Trader Vic's expansion continues. Don't know if this has been discussed, but here is a link: http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2005/05/30/story6.html ... to the Dallas Business Journal that says Trader Vic's Dallas reopens in June 2006 in the Hotel Palomar and a deal is officially signed to open in Las Vegas...

View Profile of Crowntiki Send a personal message to Crowntiki  Goto the website of Crowntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maori_man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 4:47 pm   Permalink

Well Shit on a shingle! Another reason to travel north other then just to visit the IKEA! And a hell of a lot closer then Emeryville to me!!!

View Profile of Maori_man Send a personal message to Maori_man  Goto the website of Maori_man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-15 7:16 pm   Permalink

Me thinks we should charter a bus from Portland!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 7:29 pm   Permalink

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2005/05/30/story6.html

YYEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 4:17 pm   Permalink

Great news!!! A Trader Vic's so close!!!!
Hopefully they'll keep moving north for a Vancouver reincarnation too!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 4:51 pm   Permalink

Hey TC Seattlites, any new news on the opening? I've heard November and January as potentials but I'm wondering if you've heard anything definite yet.
(I really want to put a giant 'X' on my calendar!!)

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vic'sChicagoFan

Posted: 2005-08-24 7:38 pm   Permalink

You should expect late spring 2006 according to my sources. It's going to be great!

View Profile of Vic'sChicagoFan Send a personal message to Vic'sChicagoFan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 05:03 am   Permalink

Wonder when I'll get my kick-back for all this...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2005-10-27 2:46 pm   Permalink

update from the seattle times

"When last we discussed Lincoln Square, the big news was that downtown Bellevue's happening high-rise development was to include a Trader Vic's, slated to open in December. The Trader's ETA has now been pushed by a coupla-few months (think: late Feb, early March)"

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-27 7:20 pm   Permalink

It'll be pushed back a few more times then we'll hear how TV's is pulling out then a new press release: Margaritaville To Open In Slated Trader Vic's Location.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-09 4:17 pm   Permalink

TV Bellevue website up-and-running!
http://www.tradervicsbellevue.com/
I've timed my next visit to Seattle for a few weeks after the grand opening (but don't tell my brother that!)

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-09 6:20 pm   Permalink

ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

sorry, I'm a little excited!!!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-02-20 10:36 am   Permalink

FYI: TV Bellevue is taking reservations!! but they have some limitations.

1) the private dining rooms are not available till after April
2) the biggest table they have is for 8 in the main dining room, i tried for 2 tables of 8 at the same time, but there wasnt availability.

the staff is helpful (so far) they're trying to find space for us on March 25 ~ i get the feeling they dont want to overload the place at the beginning!

i'm so excited!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation