FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-19 09:49, BrickHorn wrote:
The tiki gods are demanding just a few more days of construction and a little more paperwork before the old-new Trader Vic's opens at the Hotel Palomar on Mockingbird.

Damn you, Laura Miller!

LOL agreed! Dang, she's still mayor?!
What's funny is that Lubbock has a mayor Miller (who is not as bad as she is) and a african-american gentleman named Pryce as county commissioner as well. If you don't know about Dallas' Pryce, ask a Dallasite.

Very odd.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-02-19 23:07 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 07:52 am   Permalink

According to the website, TV's is reopening Feb. 28, 2007.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 4:50 pm   Permalink

My head is still swimming - partly due to the mai tai and partly due to the fact that my wife and I just took a tour of the Trader Vic's! We're in Dallas this weekend, and decided to swing by the Trader's to see if anyone would be around to let us peek in and have a quick look. To our (pleasant) surprise, the entire staff was there training and prepping for the second mock service tonight. We sweet talked our way into two mai tais and a grand tour. What a nice surprise on an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon!

The space is beautiful. The old A-frame is gone (to make room for retail space), but its absence doesn't detract from the interior experience at all, which is best described as tiki escapism, luxury-style. Because the place was basically sealed up for 20+ years, the new owners were able to salvage most of the decor, including the original Marquesan-style tiki columns and the original bar (the only change is that it was been given a protective coating). Some of the decorations (the masks above some of the booths, for example) were brought in from another closed-down TV's. The owners have named the bar "Hinky Dinks" in honor of the original Vic Bergeron restaurant. I thought that was a nice touch.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera with me (stupid, stupid!). I do have a picture on my cell phone of our two mai tais and a coaster, but don't know how to transfer the pic from my phone. The mai tais were exceptional and the service was superb (of course, everyone is in training and is overly enthusiastic now - hopefully it lasts!). The entire staff was very gracious and patient. I absolutely can't wait to go for a full evening in a couple of weeks.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I just took a [i]tour of the Trader Vic's!

You lucky stiff!

Glad to hear it turned out so nice. Hope to see lots of pictures soon, as TC'ers start streaming in. Hope they do gangbuster business, too.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 5:31 pm   Permalink

We were there last night....Formikahini came all the way from Houston and joined my wife and I for drinks and dinner. Got lots of pics, lots of info...all coming soon.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:16 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKai

Posted: 2007-02-26 8:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha !!!
I drive by every day on my way to work. Plan on going Tuesday night. I had been to the TV's before it closed years ago. I had a real cry when the Giant Tiki out front was taken away, but all will be well again! I can't wait to see how much or how little it has changed.

View Profile of TikiKai Send a personal message to TikiKai  Email TikiKai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:49 pm   Permalink

Blackfish, Thanks for the salute I hope to see you at the meet-up!

Tikikai welcome to the board!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 2:51 pm   Permalink

Tonight is the official opening. I was the architect/designer on the project and have been there through the whole 2 year rebirth process. almost full time the last week and a half for the final push. the word of mouth has gotten out and the phones were ringing off the hook yesterday when i was there. lots of pent up tiki demand in town.

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 6:18 pm   Permalink

Tikiarch, Thank you for your hard work. From the pictures I seen your job looks like it was well done and fun (I might add). Hope to see you there.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 8:11 pm   Permalink

Welcome Tikiarch! Look forward to hearing some of your insight on the rebirth of Trader Vics in Dallas.

You can now go to Locating Tiki and read
the full report from Formikahini and myself on our experience at the Dallas TV.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 08:34 am   Permalink

thanks for the welcome and very accurate "full report"
great photos too. i did my best restoring the lamp shades (a few still need a bit of work)
it was my personal mission to gaurd these during the construction process but we did loose a few.

we did not remove Neau panels, haggi twig panels, bamboo etc. unless absolutley necessary.

I found a clean piece of the original carpet in the old office under a cabinet so that i could get the colors right on the new custom made goods.

some of the carved masks and both chandeliers (entry and hostess area) came from Chicago as well as the giant clam shells. the originals were gone when i got involved in March 05 but i could tell by the hole pattern in the walls that they were there. Luckily Trader Vics corporate had these from the closed Chicago location.

The new mosaic tile in the Chinese Oven room is the same as in Scottsdale.

the light coves behind the banquettes and booths were reworked with zenon lamps spaced more frequently that the original bulbs creating a more even glow. the new plastic cove covers are a discontinued 70's textured amber that was discovered in the back room of a plastic distributor.

the actual bar was expanded to an L-shape giving more bartender stations and backbar display. the thick resin coated wood bar top was saved, resurfaced and expanded with a piece left over from a trader vics that closed in Japan.

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 09:24 am   Permalink

Wow...GREAT info. Thanks for all your hard work on restoring the restaurant to its former glory!

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 08:05 am   Permalink

Texas Tikiphile gathering at Trader Vic's on Cinco de Mayo!

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 11:14 am   Permalink

bump

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation