[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Earthquakes & Tiki Mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Earthquakes & Tiki Mugs
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 8:32 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this belongs here, but oh well. Do to the increased earthquake activity here in So Cal, I've made the executive decision to finally quake proof my mugs. The earthquake wax I used at the old house left a nasty residue on my sold teak danish modern shelving unit. If you're into such furnishings, you'll know how pissed off I was. The mug collection now resides on a solid mahogany unit and I don't want to go through another cleaning ritual when I decide to move again. Any suggestions on a good product?

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 9:20 pm   Permalink

I have seen this rubber matting stuff that is non slip. I think my brother got some from Ikea. No idea what its is called. Had a woven look to it and was kinda spongy. I will ask him for more details when i see him tonight.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-16 11:25 pm   Permalink

There is a product called Blue Tack. It does go by other names, but basically it is a blue gum like substance. It won't leave any stains. I think it also goes by a name that refers to it as something like poster tack.

True museum grade earthquake wax shouldn't leave any residue. As it is "museum grade".
I'll see if I can rustle up the name of the stuff we use at work.

OR... you could do the thing they did at the Getty where all the statues are on a base that has sealed ball bearings in it. So when an eartquake hits, the staues stay in place while the room moves around it.

And remember, there is no such thing as "earthquake proof". Only earthquake resistant.

I truly hope there isn't a big quake soon, as my victorian china cabinet with all of my mugs earthquake waxed on it will just tip over, and boom there go my mugs.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-17 12:16 am   Permalink

Put 'em in a lifeboat, just in case we fall into the sea.

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 06:06 am   Permalink

You could send all you mugs to me, I guarantee no earthquakes here in Florida! Hurricanes yes...but at least we get some notice...

But really, I am glad you posted this question, I have two big dogs and have been looking for ways to secure my mugs from the iminent bumps. I was thinking about thin bamboo railing, but wax or putty seems less invasive.

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 08:37 am   Permalink

I think that poster tack stuff does leave something. I know if you use it on posters without plastic over, it will leave a greasy stain as the tack drys some and the paper soaks it up.
There is a post about EQs somewhere but does anyone have a good story about there mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY on 2005-06-17 08:38 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Riptide
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 08:51 am   Permalink

Although it can be seen when looked at closely, clear fishing line strung about halfway up the mug will also prevent mugs from tumbling in a rumbler.

One nice thing about this technique is that the mugs can be easily removed and replaced to hold, use, or clean.

View Profile of Riptide Send a personal message to Riptide  Email Riptide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 12:16 pm   Permalink

I was working on a magnet idea- a magnet attached to the shelf and one puttied to the underside of the mug. That way you could still pick them up easily. Worked with some mugs but not with others- some have concave bottoms and some don't. With concave bottoms, you could use steel ball bearings inside the mug that would attach to the shelf magnet- depending on how stong it is. You can get these really small, extremely strong magnets on ebay. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I live in northern California, and we're due for a shaker soon!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 1:03 pm   Permalink

The blue tack does indeed stain, it leaves a greasy mark and sometime will pull paint off. Try the museum putty, we just found some when cleaning out some boxes of junk, and I gave it to mr. P to secure the mugs in case of toddler mishap, down the road.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 1:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-16 23:25, TikiGardener wrote:
I truly hope there isn't a big quake soon, as my victorian china cabinet with all of my mugs earthquake waxed on it will just tip over, and boom there go my mugs.

Or as a result of a drunken pal grabbing it to help stand up....the horror...the horror....

Now how does one stabilise a cabinet without drilling holes/screwing screws in it?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-18 11:10 am   Permalink

Well you could ratchet strap it to the wall, but that would be unsightly.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 06:46 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:28 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 2:06 pm   Permalink

Howdy.. Northern Calif here. About 8 - 10 months ago, I attached all my
special mugs to their shelves using Museum putty. I have dusted many times
since then, and they pry up easily, and stick down without too much fuss.
And no residue! I bought a couple envelopes of it at my local Linen N' Things
or Bed Bath & Beyond (can't remember which shop). I highly recommend this
stuff too!

-Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 6:03 pm   Permalink

ARRRRRRGH! You scurvy zombie pirate dogs didn't jump ship this time!!!!

Fool me once, er, twic...mmmmm, OK three times in three months but, never again!!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 6:22 pm   Permalink

Bad mug weather these days! A good time to double-check the museum wax.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation