FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Aloha, Torrance, CA (apartments)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Aloha, Torrance, CA (apartments)
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:58 am   Permalink

I went last weekend. My photos are very similar to Bora Boris's 2008 photos -- which is to say, there is not much tiki left.

The general shape of the building is certainly Poly-Pop and the landscaping is still pretty good.

I followed a resident through the gate thus gaining admission to the courtyard.

The only actual tikis remaining are these supports for the stairs.

And these for the second story.

I suspect the only reason they have endured is that they are structural and cannot be easily removed. I didn't get pictures of them, but the rope-wrapped posts by the front gate are also still there.

I didn't stay long but I didn't notice any of the problems mentioned by "Lost in LaLa Land". The neighborhood seemed fine. The overall maintenance of the building is good. The complex was quiet and peaceful. Don't be afraid to go if you want to see it.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-03 11:24 am   Permalink

It appears that they re-painted posts and re-stuccoed the exterior walls. If only the owners and residents could recognize the value of maintaining the original look, feel, and architectural elements of the complex. At least the tikis will have a chance to last longer with a coat of that brown paint. That's more care than many other tikis get in other places around Los Angeles and Orange Counties.

Some of these old Polynesian pop buildings should get some sort of "cultural heritage" designation and award the owners some tax credits for preservation efforts. In the end, tossing financial incentives at these landlords (and management companies) may be the best way to help advance the preservation of these architectural wonders.

I wonder if any architectural societies may be interested in rallying around this sort of thing? What kind of organizations help recognize and preserve the work of other architects and cultural groups and their styles?

I love driving through LA and Orange County residential areas and suddenly having something tiki or Polynesian pop show up quite randomly.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-14 10:18 am   Permalink

Found this nice old photo showing the entire frontage of the Tiki Tabu Apartments.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-20 6:30 pm   Permalink

I will be near here in a few weeks for a mini vacation... Asides finding out for myself obviously, is there anything left post removal of the roof etc?

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation