FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Lanai Liquors (in San Mateo) selling his tiki!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lanai Liquors (in San Mateo) selling his tiki!
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-08 09:04 am   Permalink

There are a number of carvers of sorts in this area. They mostly do bears and animals or various sizes.

Usually I steer clear, but I should chat them up some time.

On smaller scales, I am sure a Dremel type tool or even a router could be used once the wood is cut to a general shape. But the scale up changes things.

I'd hate to experiment on huge logs. Ah ha! I need a place with a fireplace so I can experiment on the logs and have a good reason to buy a small chain saw!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-10 09:25 am   Permalink

Bigbrotiki

Similiarly, will your book also touch on mug making. MOre complex on the equipment side (kilms and all) but I'd like to understand the process.

View Profile of jtiki Send a personal message to jtiki  Email jtiki Goto the website of jtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-08-31 8:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks to some HUGE help from Naomi Chihuahuaplanet, a complete slideshow of the Lanai tiki move is now up on my site along with all the other old junk. To see it, go to the following url, and then click on the Lanai matchbook image or the link below it...

http://www.goofspot.com/bamboo/see/seepix.htm

Naomi did a great job on this - it's a flash slideshow with the pictures I took when the big guy was being moved. Warning - the whole thing is about 2.6 Mb to load, but I'd say it's really worth the time, even on a dialup. But you will need the Flash browser plugin to run it, and be javascript-enabled to open it. If you don't know what this means, just click and see what happens.

Not too often you get to see the underside of a pedigreed Barney West tiki! A roving mouse will also find that we threw in a couple related extras to look for - Barney West stuff from the BOT, an old Lanai swizzle image, and the Lanai Liquors neon sign at night. Enjoy!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-01 12:27 pm   Permalink

Hey that flash slideshow was well worth the wait!

What a job that must have been lugging that Ole' Tiki around town. I love the pictures that show it illuminated by the neon sign.

Maybe it's me but I swear I saw that tiki grin just a little bit in that last shot, I think he likes his new home

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-23 12:29 am   Permalink

"Let me know when you're going to
make the move, I'd love to help in
any dinky way I could."

Don't you mean "Hinky Dinky"?

Iorana!

JT

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2002-12-17 3:53 pm   Permalink

A little news update related to the Lanai...

I was recently talking to some people at the Villa Hotel in San Mateo, which used to be adjacent to the Lanai restaurant before that became a Walgreens, in what used to be called the Villa plaza. The Villa itself is kind of a neat example of a midcentury hotel, and it used to be considered an upscale stop on the peninsula. Anyway, apparently as of the first of the year, it will become the Radisson Villa, along with a corresponding logo change and so forth. Hopefully not too much will change though, because they recently completed a big renovation a year or two ago, and they still are proud of the sort of midcentury style of the place.

But an interesting thing is that apparently one of the bartenders in the Cabana Lounge in the hotel used to be a bartender at the Lanai restaurant. So you could probably get a pretty good Sidewinder's Fang from him. I don't have his name handy here at work, but I'll post later, maybe in Events. I thought some of the bay area folks might like to meet up at the Villa Lounge some nite when he's working, and see if he has stories to tell, or even memories of drink recipes and so on. Maybe just after Christmas and before new years, so that it'd be before the Radisson overhaul.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-17 10:46 pm   Permalink

If you're taking your first shot at carving, even though labor intensive, I'd highly recommend sticking to a hammer and chisel unless highly skilled with a chainsaw. All dismemberment jokes aside, I've found that a chainsaw can make a radical decision in about 3 seconds that can't be reversed. My first attempt was in a 6 ft. palm. I used a design composite of tikis I'd found in the Tiki News, pulling the elements I liked best. It came out just fine. You'll do great if you go slow.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-17 10:49 pm   Permalink

Ooops, I forgot. A router will take a walk really badly. A 2 1/2 horse power Porter Cable will screw it up faster than you can saY," Hey, where's my Dewalt?"

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-18 01:54 am   Permalink

There's also the Dremel "zzzzaaaaaaaattttttaaaauuu" with an instant huge trench dug across what once was your masterpiece...tikiphile is right, you're gonna get a better product with a set of palm tools and a little patience.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reever
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-12-18 07:18 am   Permalink

FANTASTIC purchase, and a wonderful slideshow! You guys make it bearable to live in the Tiki wasteland of Dallas.

I'm with Sven -- someone has GOT to get the funding together for a Polynesian Pop mueseum. The Googie folks seem to have a good bit of pull and cash on the West coast, perhaps they could help their struggling architectural cousin before it's too late? A well done Googie/Tiki mueseum would be better than DisneyWorld!

View Profile of Reever Send a personal message to Reever  Goto the website of Reever     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fonduie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-17 10:40 pm   Permalink

So Randy,
Did you ever get anything together for the Villa Hotel bartender visit? Hell, I'm game! Hey, maybe yyou could also post some pictures of anything you've collected on the Lanai? I'm damn curious.
-Fonduie

View Profile of Fonduie Send a personal message to Fonduie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-18 3:38 pm   Permalink

I agree on 200% the museum idea- it's a terrible shame that so many historically & socially significant pop movements like tiki & exotica have been undervalued and, consequently, not preserved. maniac cat is a museum professional as well- we've got the love & skills to run it, now we just need funding!

Can we put Uncle Forry's collection of monster movie memorabilia in there too? That needs a home as well...

View Profile of Kim Send a personal message to Kim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2003-03-18 4:06 pm   Permalink

Yes, I still think it'd be fun to get together at the Villa to talk story with the Lanai bartender guy. Martiki was asking about that too. I've been submerged lately, and I'll be out of touch all next week, so I was hoping to suggest something like Fri April 4 (BelMateo Bowl and the Villa?).

And Fonduie, thanks for asking about the Lanai pics - I have a few scans of some old historical stuff, and I can't wait to get the time to put them together in a viewable format online. Sorry to be so slow - soon come!

-Randy

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-18 11:06 pm   Permalink

Randy, I think I mentioned it to you before, I have a very crisp slide of the origin of the Lanai logo Tiki: That weird-ass (Indonesian?) devil carved onto a door.
Got it when I found the Lanai leftover in that mini mall.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 02:01 am   Permalink

Does anyone know what's happening to the Villa Hotel? I've noticed that the sign out front has been covered up and there's a chain-link fence around the building... Worrysome indeed.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation