FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Witco fountain found in Maryland!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Witco fountain found in Maryland!
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 06:34 am   Permalink

An impossible dream has come true! About a month ago I had some spare time and headed up to Havre de Grace MD to browse at the many antique stores. I spent a good hour at a large antique mall and decided I'd try one other place before heading home and instead of driving I figured I'd take a walk. So as I'm heading up the street I catch a glimpse of what appears to be a giant tiki out front of the store I'm heading for. As I got closer I made it out and let loose with a hearty, "holy shit!" At first I didn't realize it had been a fountain... the pump base and bowl were missing but the flat area beneath his head and his feet gave an indication of its former glory. There was a $250 price tag that seemed reasonable but I went in anyway to see if I could talk 'em down a little. To make a long story short I got it for $200 cash.

I know some of you may think it's blasphemous but as you can see I've added a customized replacement bowl and base... kinda like adding lake plugs to a stock '49 Ford. One day I hope to commission Keigs to build a traditional replacement bowl and pump housing but for the time being my bamboo bowl and lava rock base will work fine. Damn, I didn't take a pic of the fountain in operation... will do that later! I didn't want to share the fountain until I had it up and running and it was nearly driving me crazy trying to keep it under wraps!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 06:43 am   Permalink

CONGRATS!!!

it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person (well, maybe me ) I love stories like this... give us all a little hope and reason to keep on the hunt. Can't wait to see more pics!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 07:31 am   Permalink

Awesome. Another Witco comes in from the cold. Enjoy.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 07:58 am   Permalink

Very Very nice indeed John. Well now we're all gonna come over and marvel @ this great dicovery.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 08:43 am   Permalink

I can see your face now. Congrats on the great score.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-20 19:14, in response to the witco fountain found by tikicleen & the drunken hat, johntiki wrote:
Wow! What a score! I think I'd lose my mind if I ever found a Witco fountain... why oh why do I have to live in Maryland?! Nobody had cool stuff like that!

...and to think you wrote this just a month ago. who knew?! people in maryland did have cool stuff! congrats john!

and ps, the bowl looks great! if it were me, i wouldnt be in any hurry to replace it.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 1:29 pm   Permalink

Johntiki, that is FAB-ulous!! Congratulations!!!!
And for a totally do-able price, too!!! (It always adds to the pleasure for me, for some perverse reason, when the price was already great and you can get them to make it lower still!!)

Now you'll never be able to complain about the lack of scores in Maryland, huh!! Witco fountains are NOT small potatoes!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 4:06 pm   Permalink

sweet man, you continue to add tiki cred to the MD!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 09:17 am   Permalink

As promised... pics of the fountain in operation.

wide shot...

close-up...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 10:04 am   Permalink

Very cool! Your bowl and stand look perfectly at home with the fountain, you've done a great job.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 11:45 am   Permalink

You will never regret buying this one.
I stole...er, BOUGHT one very similar to this one a few years ago, and he really "ties the room together" to paraphrase the Dude. They don't usually make it this far (when were those carved- 30? 40 years ago?) in PERFECT shape, and mine was certainly no exception! I agree that the improvised bowl setup looks pretty cool, but you could build a replica of the original base yourself without having MAJOR carving skills, IMHO.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 7:17 pm   Permalink

John that is a great find. See this area is good for Witco finds. If you decide to make your own base. You can use mine to measure if you like since I live pretty close to you. I just bought a pump. I want to get mine working as well. Although my cat will sit and drink out of it then. Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 6:30 pm   Permalink

Tikicar - I might take you up on your offer when the time comes!

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:07 pm   Permalink

JohnTiki, that is quite possibly the most excellent find in Maryland EVER! I am just so glad it found a home with one of the tribe instead of disappearing off to someone who wouldn't have a clue what it was and decided one day to use it as a coathanger!

The Tiki Gods have smiled down upon you!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:54 pm   Permalink

that really is "an impossible dream."congrats.....

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation