FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:35 am   Permalink

This is not a post that has anything to do with me personally or anything I have made or concocted. It is a post in a forum it needs to be brought to attention in and can be moved to bilge or wherever if deemed necessary. For what my opinion is worth....here goes.

After reading this forum for a couple of years now, and seeing the direction it has taken, I was just wondering if I can find anybody that would agree with me on something here......

"Personally", I think there should be sub-topics in the "creating tiki" forum. Like one for drawings and paintings, one for ceramics and mug making, one for wood carvings, one for tiki bar building, one for landscape designs etc, etc, and so on.........Hanford can figure all that out if deemed agreeable.

It just seems like it would be easier to narrow down ones interest to one topic rather than have it all mixed together like it is now. Kinda has become one big cluster @#*! if you ask me.

I liked it the way it was in the good ole days when it was just the "carving post" for carving tikis. I knew I could go there and find everything about tiki carving and that was that. Nowadays, it's just a forum for whatever tiki art your into.

Why not say under "Creating Tiki" forum:

You have Sub-topics like: Tiki Carving, Painting, Ceramics, Bars and so on.....

Then have individual carvers/painters/etc. pages under those........

Hell, the way it is now if you don't post anything for a while your personal page get's pushed soooo far down nobody can find it.

For instance I was looking for Gecko's page the other day and had to scroll through page after page to even find it.

Nothing against other forms of tiki art. I just think this would make things easier and more beneficial to all members, old and new, to find what they are looking for without having to weed and read through stuff your not really interested in. Why not be able to go straight to your highest interest/priority?

"Segregation" is the word I'm looking for I guess, but only in an understanding and diplomatic way.....

Any comments on this, or to post to just tell me to "shut the hell up" are more than welcome. No responses out of me, so do not look for any. I started this, and I can let it end right here too.

Just throwing a bone to see if we could form some kind of a majority involving all types of artisans involved with this "Creating Tiki" forum. Who knows, maybe someone else has a better idea. I was always told that two heads were better than one........

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:44 am   Permalink

I agree G. Sub category's for "Creating Tiki" forum is a great idea.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:47 am   Permalink

Thanks J.T.,

That's one for the money.............

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:36 am   Permalink

That is basically what i was wanting to start with my post "Carving Post 2005", but the catagories would also help. Great idea.

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 11:37 am   Permalink

That is basically what i was wanting to start with my post "Carving Post 2005", but the catagories would also help. Great idea.

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:15 pm   Permalink

I believe that the Creating tiki forum Has gotten a bit big for its britches and could easily be divided into different catagories. TikiG is right that if a person doesn't post for a day or two then he gets buried under tons of great art.
Don't forget, you can add comments like these in the "U-moderate" area below left.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2005-06-20 12:21 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:40 pm   Permalink

I think that this is a great idea.
I have seen postings and went to try and find them later and with no luck. Thanks Tiki G for the suggestion.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 9:30 pm   Permalink

Yep - I agree - a top idea me thinks.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 9:37 pm   Permalink

double post...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-06-21 22:03 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 9:42 pm   Permalink

Tiki G wrote
------------------------------------
It just seems like it would be easier to narrow down ones interest to one topic rather than have it all mixed together like it is now. Kinda has become one big cluster @#*! if you ask me.
-------------------------------------

Ya see, that is why I can't be a Grand Member. "Cluster Fuck!!!" That's what he meant to say...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 9:45 pm   Permalink

Agreed... if this can be done.

Ben is right... when this started as a "Carving" section it was young... it has now grown into so many forms of tiki art and things do get lost...

A search can be made... but would be easier if "Creating" was divided into types of "Creating"

A good idea G.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:03 pm   Permalink

Not a bad idea, Gary. Something to ponder... I'm all for organization. Is there any downside to this? I don't see one. I wonder what Hanford thinks of the idea?

What would be done with the existing posts? Would it be hard to classify some of the art? Would it be hard to implement? It would suck to be put in the "miscellaneous tiki" category! What if someone made a tiki out of a toilet paper roll? Where would that go? (Yes, I think it's been done)

I personally think it's a great idea. But I'd also be interested to hear some thoughts from the painters, ceramic artists, mixed media artists, etc...

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:29 pm   Permalink

Don't make "new guy" here walk the plank, but I think I smell a mutiny!!! I happen to enjoy the variety of creativity in the single forum and don't mind digging for the hidden treasures...

[draws blade]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:35 pm   Permalink

I guess I am a "mixed media artist". Pastels and a few sketches is what i do. I wouldn't mind if I had a sketch topic and a seperate Pastel topic to be honest.

A possible downside is that if one was to stick to a particular area all the time eg. carving, they may miss other creative stuff that would occasionally catch your eye. Kinda like window shopping. Big deal I reckon.

AA you mentioned what non carvers thought - well it works the other way too. I wanted to look at what people had done in tiki paintings, and I had to go through all of these carving topics to get there - theres too many of yas! And your all so productive and talented! It makes me sick

Also have to make sure it is easy to navigate. The rest of the site is a piece of piss to get around so I dont think this would be any different.

For instance I was looking for Gecko's page the other day and had to scroll through page after page to even find it.

What about under a persons profile, as well as a "view posts by this user" having next to it "view topics started by this user"? Would make looking for an individuals topic quicker, particularly for someone like Benzart who has a trillion billion posts - imagine going through all of this posts to find a topic he created years ago!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-20 22:29, Capt'n Skully wrote:
Don't make "new guy" here walk the plank, but I think I smell a mutiny!!! I happen to enjoy the variety of creativity in the single forum and don't mind digging for the hidden treasures...

Could we somehow have it so we can view all of the "creating" topics like scully (and I too)like to, as well as having the option to look within a particular method? Does this make sense? Is it too complictaed?

Hanford is a talented guy, surely could pull this off.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation