FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:44 pm   Permalink

I thought this was gonna be the first
unanimous thread in a looooong time till
the Captain piped up. I also like the idea
of separate categories...mugs...carvings...
paintings..but I am sure most of us will finally whiz through every post anyway.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 10:58 pm   Permalink

Hehe... I brought this idea up with Hanford myself just a few weeks ago... been meaning to post it in the Grand Members area, but hadn't gotten to it... I'll bend his ear again.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 04:35 am   Permalink

Coolio....Humuhumu. Bend then.

Glad to see all the different ideas and suggestions from everyone who piped up over night, even "skully's"!

[G. takes blade away from skully upon draw and holds it to skully's own throat very quickly] "just kiddin'" Skully:)

Thanks to everyone who has voiced on this thus far, and for seeing my point, or at least tried to decifer it.

I think Hanford could come up with something reasonable for everyone if he thought this was agreeably needed.....

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 09:53 am   Permalink

Totally agree....sometimes I feel like; "geeez where is a particular thread amidst all of this excitement" Sometimes I just want an idea surrounding a carving style or a building style or a landscape idea. Since I'm newer, I am just accumulating right now in all of the venues spoken of here. It would make it more organized.

Humbly submitted,

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-20 22:35, hewey wrote:

What about under a persons profile, as well as a "view posts by this user" having next to it "view topics started by this user"? Would make looking for an individuals topic quicker, particularly for someone like Benzart who has a trillion billion posts - imagine going through all of this posts to find a topic he created years ago!

Now THAT is a brilliant idea, Hewey!

What do you think, Hanford?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 2:04 pm   Permalink

I'm definately all for it. But, I bet Hanfords' goin "awww crap!" That's alotta work! We need to hear from him if it's possible.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 4:50 pm   Permalink

Heya tiki G - I'm all for organization and separating the peas from the mashed potatos. I think an initial breakdown of different artistic types would be benificial, but if we got too specific we'd end up with many forum topics that never get read. Separating carving, print type art and maybe landscaping/home bar building would be cool for organizational purposes, but I know that I would end up not frequenting all of them as often as I just plug into "creating tiki". But that's really a moot point

If the committee agrees to separating the art forms into their own categories, I at least say keep the categories as vague as possible.

We have artists on this board who do many different styles of art (like fink and raffer to just name a few) - would they have to have separate threads in different forums? That could get complicated

just my 2 chisels worth...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-06-21 6:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone, I think we'll do this.

Please continue your comments here on the categories/structure. There are some limitations to what we can do, but I'll try to accomodate everyone's ideas.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 7:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hanford, I think it will eventualy make things easier for some people. That's why this is the Only site worth a darn.
What do we need to know, the different catagories desired?
Tiki Graphics, Tiki rooms and bars, Tiki Sculpture and signs, Tiki Ceramics, Tiki furniture and lamps, Tiki clothing and jewelry.
What did I leave out or how could it be different??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 7:26 pm   Permalink

I have been thinking about this and after looking at some other artists based forums heres what i came up with( keep in mind these are just ideas of mine and may not be right)

Carvers Forum : carvings and anything carving related or sculpted

Tiki paintings and sketches : uh, anything paint..or drawn or computer designed

Tutorials and tips: Got some to give? Share the wealth your knowledge!

Other art: Not sure what it is or not quite tiki.

Tiki at Home : for all landscaping and home building projects or ideas

I hope some of what I have come up with may work or may lead to better ideas .

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 06:20 am   Permalink

The Creating forum used to be my favorite and first stop on TC. But it is so overwhelming now that I sometimes skip it altogether.

When someone adds a new project to their existing thread (which is already multiple pages in length) the thread name is often changed, and then you have to look for "Updated 6.22.05, page 17" within the title.

Quite simply, the Thread names are far to chunky for a quick, easy glance. My small brain could really benefit from a new format.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 10:25 am   Permalink

But if you nest folders within other folders, won't the complexity of that confuse the Mac users?

/Just kidding....sort of....

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 12:45 pm   Permalink

Here's my thoughts on categories.

Subfolders under "Creating Tiki" would be best.

Like Polynesiac said, best to keep the categories as general as possible. The more you try to nail it down, the more categories you'll have. The more categories, the harder to navigate, and some will become less visited than others. And there will always be some art that defies categorization no matter what you do.

Great ideas, Ben and Rodeo. Working off your lists, here's my ideas.

1) How about "Tiki Images". This seems more general than "Tiki Graphics", or "Tiki Paintings & Sketches", and would cover photography as well.

2) "Tiki Sculpture" sounds good, Ben. not sure about signs. They fit in with carving, sort of. But I think Sculture would cover carving, concrete style tiki like Seamus', and even some ceramics if the artist wanted to put them there. I think people would put their posts wherever they thought they would fit best, so it would be sort of self-regulating.

3) I personally don't think there should be a dedicated area for "Tutorials & Tips". These things come in all different types of posts if the artist feels so inclined.

4) Miscellaneous. I hate having a category like that, but there will always be art that doesn't fit anywhere else. How about "Tiki Mixed Media" or "Undefinable Tiki Art". None of these are good, I don't know...

5) Other Art. I don't think we need a category for that in Creating Tiki. If it's not tiki, someone could post it in the forum of their choice if they want. I know Sam and some others have posted non-tiki stuff that was interesting and beautiful work, but it doesn't need its own separate category.

6) How about "Tiki Spaces and Places"? This would cover Homes, Bars, Landscaping, etc. Basically any type of construction or decorating project.

7) "Tiki Ceramics" and "Tiki Jewelry" both sound good to me, Ben. Maybe the signs could go under "Tiki Furniture, Signs and Lamps"?. And maybe "Tiki Clothing & Textiles" to be more general than "Tiki Clothing"?

See, that's eight categories there and I'm not sure if it covers everything. What do the rest of you artists think? I'm sure the more input the better here to help Hanford out. Thank you Hanford for accomodating all of us fickle artists. And mahalo to Gary for the excellent sugestion. Its time has come.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 1:50 pm   Permalink

Creating Tiki (View all threads)
- Carvings
- Painting, Illustrations and Graphics
- Casting and Molding
- Home Bars, Rooms, Yards and Decor
- Clothing and Jewelry
- Newest Posts (across just Creating Tiki)
- All Things Benzart

Food and Drink could be assimilated under Creating Tiki with this structure, too... ?

Speaking of mac users, who's up to making a Tiki Central dashboard widget??

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 2:21 pm   Permalink

-View all threads
-Tiki Carving
-Tiki Two Dimensional
-Casting & Molding
-Tiki Spaces & Places
-Clothing & Jewelry

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation