FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Thoughts for a NEW Creating Tiki Forum Structure....
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 9:16 pm   Permalink

View All Creating Tiki
Tiki 3-D
Tiki 2-D
Misc. Tiki Art
Tiki Spaces & Places

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 2:26 pm   Permalink

I read this a few days ago and agreed wholeheartedly but I didn't post. After not being here for a few days and coming back, I realize that this is even more important to me.

I would love a "carving only" area. I would still visit the other areas but sometimes I need a "quick fix" of new carvings and it would be nice to find it fast.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 2:44 pm   Permalink

My only comment is this. I have gotten some great insperation for many diffrent media here, If it is all seprate we may miss something really great. Maybe 2 or 3 areas. Next thing there will be a Carving Klan, Drawing krew,,, wars,, Blood shed.. Death to first borns..........

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 5:26 pm   Permalink

I love the idea of more organization, but I have a concern. I'm in the minority here, but I worry that we would miss out on each other's art and the chance for further inspiration if we're separated. I get my art fix on TC now, and I have been so impressed with the art education I've received from artists of other media. I don't think if I had just started posting to other ceramicists my knowledge of art of all forms would have grown as much as it has.

Furthermore, I often use other's art to jump-start my own. For example, Rodeo has been doing a carving based on Sam Gambino's work. Where would that fit in, and if we were segragated, would that have been encouraged?

Don't get me wrong. There's a majority of carvers out there, and then the rest of us. Will it become a clique of carvers, because that would be horrible. I love the camaradie of the group as it is now. It's a feeling of "we're all in this together, so let's just support each other." If we were broken down, would the minorities such as myself hear from the greats such as Benzart and Raffertiki?

I'm always playing devil's advocate, but it's just something I see and I'd be interested to know if that could be addressed.

All of that said, I'm a huge fan of Tiki Central and the excellent way that it is run. Whatever decisions are made about this forum are alright with me. My hat's always off to Hanford and the amazing job he does with this site.

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 6:52 pm   Permalink

For myself, I go thru the "creating" forum to see All the art no matter what the media. I'm sure when it gets divided up and segregated that I will be visiting All the creating forums. It will make it easier for me to follow Sam's work orHeweys work or Beachin's work or even Thor's paintings. I will spen less time scrolling up and down to find a specific piese I want to follow. I will probably see more art because i will be looking on 4 or 7 or who knows how many pages there will be but I will see them all. Now, if it isn't there by the bottom of the page I don't go into the archives so I'd miss it.
I will see more art faster, WELL MAYBE NOT AT FIRST BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE AWHILE TO CATCH ON. It may take awhile but it will be quicker once we get used to IT

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 9:27 pm   Permalink

Captain Skully, Surfintiki, and Slacks Ferret all said it. Let's have a "View All Creating Tiki" and subfolders too. Think of it like specific art filters IF we want them. We could have the best of both worlds.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 03:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-24 21:27, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Captain Skully, Surfintiki, and Slacks Ferret all said it. Let's have a "View All Creating Tiki" and subfolders too. Think of it like specific art filters IF we want them. We could have the best of both worlds.

I agree Aaron. (I even said it before, just not as succinctly )

Quote:

On 2005-06-20 22:41, hewey wrote:
Could we somehow have it so we can view all of the "creating" topics like scully (and I too) like to, as well as having the option to look within a particular method?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 04:15 am   Permalink

Can I be the A Grand Monkey 2nd degree in the carving klan? Just kidding, why do I hear crickets...

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 05:53 am   Permalink

I don't think it should be too chopped up keep it simple.

Under Creating Tiki:

"Interior Tiki" section that would be a place for interior decorating type things.

"Tiki Artist" section for the artists to show off their work.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 06:15 am   Permalink

You know.....I guess we just need to find out exactly what Hanford CAN do in the first place, then work on it from there. It's great to read all the comments and suggestions on this. I agree with some of the ideas, but then again I do not with others. I appreciate all of them, but I just keep thinking....

Ok, say you want to look at nothing but carving stuff...click here.

Nothing but paintings and drawings...click here.

Nothing but ceramics, mug making and jewelry (crafts)....click here.

Home re-model deco stuff...click here.

Now how hard would it be to miss something? All the new stuff would be where you knew to look for it at. It sure would be a whole lot easier to find all the stuff that you would have probably missed if it were still all jumbled up in "one" tiki artist folder.

Thanks everyone for your input and all the great ideas on the forum re-structure. We’ll figure it out, but like I said, let’s see what Hanford can do for us first.

G.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-06-28 04:04 ]

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 12:43 pm   Permalink

I think Gary is right , Lets see what Hanford says.

On another note about begining carvers having it "made". I disagree with that statement . I could read a thousand cookbooks and I will always burn stuff.
Just because those that are willing to share their insight on what tools to use or how to use them have doesnt mean everyone is going to be able to carve.

Those carvers new and old that have shared their knowlegde , I say thankyou. Just because they give tips and secrets doesnt mean anyone has it made. Tc has grown lots since even I joined and I dont see it as a changing of the gaurd.

Just my 2 cents . Sorry to get off topic.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-06-27 12:52 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-06-27 1:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the continued feedback. I am working on some new things that I think will make you all quite happy. But it may be a while ....

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 1:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hanford. I understand this is not a small undertaking as simple as adding a new forum, so take your time. I'm sure we will be happy with anything you add to an already Fantastic site.
Happyhappyhappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 3:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hanford.....That's awesome! Cool deals....can't wait to see what you have done.

G.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-06-28 04:05 ]

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 5:00 pm   Permalink

Gary , I didnt mean to jump on you. Please dont think that at all. I guess maybe some praise is in order more often for the carvers that are willing to swap info.

I was going back thru some of the old old post and realized that maybe when you started to carve not as many were out there. So the info was alot harder to come by for you.

Your work speaks volumes about your talent and I respect that. Sorry for any misunderstanding and I hope no one else read more into this than needed.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation