FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Skully's #2... Progress Update/Gallery (pg 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Skully's #2... Progress Update/Gallery (pg 3)
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 10:05 am   Permalink

HA! Is that Harry Potter? Good stuff...

Aaron- I'll prep it initially with (our style of) clean lines, but do want to have a little more "sketchy" quality to it... I'm thinking this one I may break the typically aligned front symmetry and have his head turned off a little to the left from his body.

Appreciate the comments! I know this is a hodge-podge thread...

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 10:31 pm   Permalink

You may call it hodge podge, but I like it.

Harry Potty and the half blood tiki?

Imagine the tiki bar they could have with all magic stuff.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 12:04 am   Permalink

Great sketches, Captain. I like the character to that Koochie KU...

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 7:48 pm   Permalink

Design update-
I'm letting the log dictate this carving- Sketched on the log with a sharpie then went to the computer and started commiting the lines...

Here's a quick 3D mapping (ala Aaron's Akua) test I thought I'd share as I balance out the features and proportions.

The Lost Resort

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-26 00:14 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:00 pm   Permalink

wow those stetches look good, that 3-D wrap thing look great too. How do you do that wrap, is there a specail program or something

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 11:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Octane-

I use Cinema 4D which is a 3D modelling and animation program... One of these days I'll model a tiki in it.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 04:28 am   Permalink

All a bit too technical for me...

I just use a pencil and sketch stuff out, old school style...

Awesome work captain! Huzzah!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 11:23 am   Permalink

Can't wait to see this guy, Skully. Lookin good!

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-26 11:26 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Razor

Posted: 2005-07-26 11:38 am   Permalink

That is a great idea. That would help in keeping proportion, yes

View Profile of Razor Send a personal message to Razor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 12:33 pm   Permalink

Skully, that looks like a great way to work out the "stretch" factor before you plot out the template. I usually make a front view that looks the way I want it, then create a "block" in AutoCAD. Then I measure the circumference from where I want certain features to be on the log, and change the "X" dimension ratio on the AutoCAD block till it looks right. Then I do a test plot, cut it out & see if it came out okay. Sometimes I have to tweak the design on the computer a few times to get it right. Your 3D mapping looks like a great shortcut for this. If I had the software & knew how to use it, I'd probably use the same method.

Once I get a decent plot, I cut it in half, then use it as a template with the sharpie marker, do one side, then flip it over & do the other. I just keep cutting out the progressive outlines as I go, using a centerline on the log to keep it all straight as the lines get applied.

(In case you guys are thinking that's a bit technical, I'm responding to a PM from Skully here on his post...)

Hewey, sometimes I think it would be better just to sketch on the log to get a more "freehand" feel. I guess the CAD type programs are a good tool if you know the software and are really fast at it. I do drafting/design for a living, so it's hard to break away and go totally freehand. I guess any tool that helps is a good idea if it fits the artist. Drafting is just precise sketching, and CAD/computer programs are just another drafting tool. It all depends on your own style of drawing & carving. (Just thinking out loud there...)

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 12:40 pm   Permalink

I just had to jump in and tell you I really like your designs Skully. Very cool!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 12:39 am   Permalink

Thanks all- much appreciated!

Thanks for the detailed response AA! I used Freehand (like Illustrator) for the line work, created a tiff and added it as a material map to a cylinder. The cylinder is to approximate scale of the log. Then tweaked the features to their position and cleaned the remaining lines. I like having the 2D vector art versions to use for other stuff in the future...

MachTiki- Thanks!!

I put the large printout (tiled) together tonite, and added some shading to the 3D map- going to start carving this weekend.

A quick bevel effect in Photoshop adds enough detail of chiseled lines-

A few views to get the idea of each side-

The Lost Resort

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-28 15:15 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 12:46 am   Permalink

Cool pics dude. Nice work, nicve way of finding out if a design will "work" in wood

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 5:25 pm   Permalink

Anyone could do one of these 3D "wrap tests" with out software but paper, even with a toilet roll- the design does take a certain mentality I guess, or just some getting used to...

Giant Toilet Paper Roll-

The first chips fly!

I don't think my dog is happy about sharing attention...

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 9:31 pm   Permalink

Sweet rendering! That simulated beveling and two-tone effect really give a good dea what it's going to look like, though I'm sure your cuts will be deeper in real wood. Great design, Skully!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation