FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music How do you store your LPs?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
How do you store your LPs?
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 3:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha all!

Now that I have a player and a collection of about 40 LPs, I'm in need of a storage device!
I've got a spot for the player, but no rack for the records.

What are you people using? Are there any repros that look chic enough for a 50s/60s room? Bamboo clad? Chrome? Teak? Lucite?

The only one I've found online was made in 1965 by a canadian company called Metalsmiths Co.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas!

I'd also love a little business card style holder to display whatever LP I happen to be playing.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 5:02 pm   Permalink

Funny you bring this up. I've been puzzled by the same thing. Except, I've got a lot more than 40 LPs. Right now, they're on shelves in a closet. But since old record spines are usually beat up, you can't read what record is what. So I'm looking at building bins like you see in a record store, so I can flip through the records. Of course, that takes up a lot of room, though.

Good luck with whatever you come up with. My only recommendation is to go with a "bin" system if you plan on collecting a lot of records. Down the road, I think it'll be easier to see what you have.

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-22 15:32, Tikiwahine wrote:
...I'd also love a little business card style holder to display whatever LP I happen to be playing.

You might be able to find a mini easel that holds picture frames for something like that... ?

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 9:06 pm   Permalink

skully, good idea! Or maybe a recipe book holder?

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-06-22 21:06 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 02:53 am   Permalink

Man, I LOVE the picture of that rack! I've got over 2,500 LPS..I store them in a couple of shelving units (Probably intended for books or bric-a-brac from an Indonesian import store. Perhaps you could find something like that if you wanted a tiki rather than retro look.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:03 am   Permalink

I'm using some really cheap Ikea unfinished wood modular shelves. They are the ones that are unfinished pine or something where you buy the ends and the shelves separately. They are very cheap and just the right width to hold LPs upright. I use the lower shelvs, I'm affraid the tall ones would tip over.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:29 am   Permalink

I picked up an old rattan magazine rack. I only have maybe 20 or so albums in it but there is room for more.
I suppose you could rotate your favorite listening in to save space.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:52 am   Permalink

I used to love the old Napa crates... but then about 15 years ago you couldn't find em anywhere. So I went to Home Depot and bought the strongest storage shelves they had and lined the walls of my record room. It ain't pretty, but we're talking maybe 5,000+ pieces.

What I've been looking at lately is from Ikea:

$99 here

I'm thinking a few of these on casters for my more "active rotation" albums, and leave the rest in the storage room. However, now that I'm looking at the pic, I think they've cheapened the inner shelf piece and it doesn't hold the same weight. Hmmm. Anyway, it's still my idea...

BTW, they make a larger size that is 6ft x 6ft... you could make a room divider out of it and use a shelf or 2 for vinyl, some for mugs, some for your Precious Moments or Hummels.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-06-23 10:57 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 11:17 am   Permalink

I have a "Journalist" wood and metal wall unit from Ikea. It's one of those where all the parts are sold separately and you can build it however you want. The cabinets have either wood or glass doors and are the perfect size for storing LPs.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 11:46 am   Permalink

cool!

cyn, that sounds like soemthing that would work for me, I have a space about 2 feet wide and however tall. I'll have to check the ikea web site for more ideas. The units I can put baskets into might work

It would be cool to have something in chrome or glass and chrome. My local value village now has three wire brass record stands, but having them chromed would probably be very expensive, and I'm not too hot on the thin wire.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-06-23 15:41 ]

ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:49 pm   Permalink

I'm one of those with a large LP collection - probably 80 linear feet of records, most of them purchased in thrifts stores over the last 12 years. Almost all of them are in my basement, on sturdy shelves that I bought at IKEA - strong enough that they do not sag. These are stored vertically, so I can read the spines - that seems to be the best way for me to find something quickly. I have some wicker shelves that work OK too, but smooth wood shelves do work better, as the record corners don't get caught in the weaving.

I do try to keep a small select number of choice LPs in a handy, more visible location that is located next to an old portable carrying type stereo in my tiki room (not in my basement). I really like those old wire record holders for this purpose, which allow me to rapidly rotate records in and out from my basement shelves as my tastes change. You can find them pretty cheap on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4741081973&rd=1

My collection went from zero to many in only a few years, and always seem to be in a state where I am trying to squeeze too many records in too small of a space. At first I tried to display some of my records with the front covers facing out like a record store, but at some point this really became inconvenient.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 5:22 pm   Permalink

Ikea. I've got a few different pieces (same wood though), I think the last one I got was called "LACK" -- a tall shelf unit.

Even though I hate putting Ikea stuff together (I've got a bunch of those hex keys in a drawer now), the stuff is cheap, strong, and looks pretty good.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 7:38 pm   Permalink

This is always a problem...with thousands of records, there is never enough shelving and they end up in my office, in the bedroom, living room, closets. I'm going to start thinning things down as most are boxed up from the last move.

BTW for long-term storage it is highly recommended that you only use untreated wood shelving. Over time the chemicals from paint and varnish will have an effect on the vinyl.

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 02:11 am   Permalink

Okay. Let me say right up front that I realize I'm a bit of an oddball in this day and age. I, though, own well over 3,000 LPs (as well as about as many CDs and nearly as many old 45s). I figured I'd post this just in case any other serious obsessives are looking for storage options.

The best thing I've found is available at Lowe's and Home Depot and is a rack with four levels each about 13" tall and 12" deep. I guess it's about 4' wide. It's constructed of Pine but is very sturdy. It runs at about $50 per. It's almost as if they were designed to hold albums (although they could not possibly have been if they were designed within the last 15 years).

I wish I could help with the "Smaller Number of LPs" questions, but once you've gone too far past some subjects, you just can't get back.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-01 11:38 pm   Permalink

Traitor

Is there a particular name for this shelving unit? Can ya maybe scan a picture? $50.00 is a great price!
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation