FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What is Tiki what is not?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What is Tiki what is not?
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-23 06:44 am   Permalink

I am fairly new to tiki and am still a bit fuzzy as to what is tiki and what is not. I have a Myer's Rum mirror that must have been in some bar at one time, although I don't know what one.( bought it in a junk shop in Sacamento) It has a tall ship in a harbor and a stack of rum barrels next to palm tree. No tikis in sight, in fact it may be depicting a scene from the Caribbean. But since it is a rum conected item that would look fine in a tiki bar, I am wondering if it is "tiki" or not?
I generaly collect Hawaiiana and that includes some stuff like mugs and god and menahuni figures and I know they would be considered "tiki". I also collect sarongs, aloha shirts, monkey pod and koa wood items, tapa cloth, original paintings by Hawaiian artists (but not of tikis) and surfer neckwear like Maui fish hooks and other pendants,(sea turtles and sea horses being my faves, but also god images and the original Tiki, the Moari first ancestor figure (the original Tiki who gave his name to so many things)in carved greenstone, bone, wood or cast in silver or bronze, puka and cowrie shell neckaces. Although Maui fish hooks and most carved bone, wood or stone pendants are generally refered to as tikis in surfer culture, I am not sure if they are "tiki" as the word is used here. I was told by another member that there is a great distinction between Hawaiiana and "Tiki". That is why I am posting here rather than on the "tiki" forums. here is an URL to a pic of the mirror
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/album?.dir=a502&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-08 15:03 ]

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 07:47 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC maleko.
I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to say "Welcome to TC"

Enjoy!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:49 am   Permalink

Thanks. I see you are just down the road in Turlock. I am in Sacramento. I was a landscaper for much of my working life. My back will only let me do relatively light gardening now, but I have instaled a Tiki Garden here at my apartment complex (I am the volunteer gardener)I love water features and have built a few myself over the years. Never carved a tiki. Mahalo for the greeting.

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:56 am   Permalink

Martin Denny is tiki.
Jimmy Buffett is not tiki.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 12:17 pm   Permalink

I think most of those things you mentioned are certainly tiki-compatible. There is difference between collecting "tiki" and Hawaiiana. According to bigbrotiki, in the strictest interpretation, to be "tiki" an item must feature, of all things, a tiki. But also strictly speaking, a Moai is not really a "tiki" anywhere but in Polynesian Pop culture, so interpretation is somewhat subjective. Tiki-compatible items should at the very least have a relationship to the South Pacific, particularly Polynesia.

Here are some things that are NOT:

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 12:35 pm   Permalink

PJ - I am SO glad you included the owls... as I scrolled through your examples, I was thinking,
'the owls? where are the owls?'
tee hee

There's also a difference between 'party store tiki' and real tiki. I think we all know the difference!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 12:46 pm   Permalink

What's with the 'nads on that bear???

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

And why is the bear either holding an umbrella, or wearing a Bo-Peep bonnet?

These are the questions that will creep into your head as you scour the shops for tiki.

Welcome, niumaleko!

The more time you spend looking through The Book of Tiki, the more it will become second nature to declare an item tiki or not.

Avoid owls unless they are on a Treasure Craft or Coco Joes's ashtray-plate thingy that reads, "Hawaii," and you are hypnotized and can't help yourself.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-23 12:46, Tiki-bot wrote:
What's with the 'nads on that bear???

PJ, you forgot

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-23 13:23, ZebraTiki wrote:
And why is the bear either holding an umbrella, or wearing a Bo-Peep bonnet?

It does look like a parsol the bear is carrying, but its right hand is holding a purse! It's definitely the best ceramic she-bear drink mug ever!

nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:21 pm   Permalink

It does look like that bear has both male genitals and breasts. You wonder what the artist's supervisor was thinking when they approved that for production.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-23 16:21, nuimaleko wrote:
It does look like that bear has both male genitals and breasts.

I think the correct phrase is "man tits"

Everything you would ever want to know about Tanuki

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-23 16:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-23 16:21, nuimaleko wrote:
It does look like that bear has both male genitals and breasts.

I think the correct phrase is "man tits"

Everything you would ever want to know about Tanuki

In honor of pride week, I declare the bear transgender!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 5:25 pm   Permalink

NOT TIKI:

Still NOT TIKI:

Yes, TIKI:

Suprisingly Tiki:

This Star Wars weapon is actually designed from a Fiji Battle Hammer (totokia) and the club end is carved to represent the fruit of the pandanus tree.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-06-23 17:28 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-06-23 7:42 pm   Permalink

Nuimaleko,

I hope this sheds some light on your quest:

Tiki is whatever I goddamn say it is.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mr Tiki Bong (version 2000)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation