FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » What is Tiki what is not?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What is Tiki what is not?
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-23 8:39 pm   Permalink

I like the Hondurus thing.I would never call it tiki but I might buy it if I came across it at a yard sale. I actually have quite a few little Central American and Mexican statues in obsidian that I like a lot. I have a necklace with a little god image of obsidian too.Not sure if it is Central or South American. Wasn't that why Heyerdal named his boat Kon_Tiki, because of a South American god named Tiki?
Could be from Lake Tikikaka.
Still not sure if they are "tiki", but I have a lot of stuff that I was given as gifts or found at garage sales or junk shops. To be honest I don't really give a damn if it is "tiki" or not as long as I like it.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/album?.dir=/f756

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-08 15:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-08 15:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-08 15:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-08 16:08 ]

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 10:16 pm   Permalink

Being from and in Texas, it's easy to come across aztec/central american/south american/mexican items at thrift stores and garage sales. I buy the ones that look kinda tiki to me, but personally I kinda dig those civilations too.

OH yeah, when buying items from Big Lots and other stores. Think to yourself: "Self.. would that look cool in my swag bar?"
If ou pick up the smileing pitcher with the sun shades... you maybe taking home a demon in disguise. The type that breaks your worthy tiki mugs.

PS In my book, there is no shame in buying plastic mugs and Big Lots/TJ Max/etc. ceramic mugs. They are good to give away to party goers and butter fingered drunks. The plastic ones are good if you have kids and underagged drinkers come to a party as well. That way you can keep tabs on what they should be drinking. Plus it may inspire them to collect in the future.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John on 2005-06-23 22:17 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mystiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 01:14 am   Permalink

That pitcher you mention from Big Lots-- always looked like a tiki version of the Kool-Aid man. I haven't picked it up because my hubby won't allow it in the house. But who's kewler than the Kool-Aid man, I ask you? Nobody, that's who.

P.S. Welcome fellow Sakatamatan...good to have you aboard! If you haven't already, pay a visit to Sitting in Paradise in Midtown. They have some wonderful Hawaiiana merchandise and the owners are soopa!

[quote]
If ou pick up the smileing pitcher with the sun shades... you maybe taking home a demon in disguise. The type that breaks your worthy tiki mugs.

Jamio Designs (jamio.com)-Taboo Tiki and Kustom Kulture Art

View Profile of Mystiki Send a personal message to Mystiki  Email Mystiki Goto the website of Mystiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 04:00 am   Permalink

Down here in Australia we get a large amount of "Bali" stuff. It is kinda like what Hawaii is to you guys. Just in Indonesia! Technically it is Asian, not Pacific. However, take the buddha out and replace it with tiki and you got tiki heaven! Works for me

We get some good New Zealand stuff here as well as you can imagine.

Don't worry about it being "tiki" too much. If you reckon it is kinda tiki, some people on here will probably dig it anyway.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 10:38 pm   Permalink

It says it's tiki, but I think it's in denial

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13641&item=6541236402&rd=1

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 10:10 am   Permalink

Ok, this is getting way off topic, but the name gave me a giggle.

"Muffy the Diver"

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-08 3:47 pm   Permalink

That's cool about the Bali stuff. I love Bali. I have some wooden carvings and a sarong in my collection from Bali.
What about Aboriginal art? If New Guinea stuff is tiki, why isn't that?
To me if it is tropcical it all fits into my Pan-Tropical decor. Stuff from India, South East Asia, China, Australia, Africa, Oceanea and even Mexico live comfortably together in my apartment. I guess that is why I loved Hawaii so much, because of the cultural melting pot aspect of it.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/album?.dir=e510&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-12 01:46 ]

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation