[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ 10 Cane Rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
10 Cane Rum
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

Anyone try this one yet?

Looks like a new product- made in Trinidad and sold by the Moet Hennessy people.

BevMo just got it in and it's retailing at $33.99. Looks quite nice.

They have a strange website at
www.10cane.com

I'd like to get some feedback before I plunk down that much.

Anyone?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 1:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-23 13:23, martiki wrote:
BevMo just got it in and it's retailing at $33.99. Looks quite nice.

I'd like to get some feedback before I plunk down that much.

How much is it with your employee discount?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 2:03 pm   Permalink

Yes, pick me up a bottle with your employee discount and I will drink it and report on it.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-23 2:37 pm   Permalink

That's enough from the peanut gallery.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-30 3:48 pm   Permalink

Picked up a mini of this a week ago, and here's my review, for what it's worth.

Very smooth, but the taste was too "plain" for me. I guess I expected a little bit of complexity to it. At $30 a fifth here in Oregon, I wasn't impressed enough to put it on my "must buy" list. The mini cost $3.25...a little steep for a mini, but worth it if you want to try it without shelling out for a full bottle.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 4:28 pm   Permalink

I'm not a rum connosieur, at least by TC standards, yet, but I tried it and it was quite fine. It mixed nicely and went down easily. I remember making great mojitos with it. It was rated no. 1 in a NY times article I mentioned in a post last year:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16034&forum=10

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-03-30 7:07 pm   Permalink

Last weekend, I was in a Maryland liquor store, and I saw that they had 10 Cane rum on sale - about $12/bottle cheaper than I previously paid for it.

So I decided to stock up, and bought the 4 bottles on the shelf. I also bought 4 other bottles of assorted liquor. When I went to the counter to checkout, I placed all 8 bottles on the counter, said 'You had one of my favorite rums on sale - I had to stock up", and absentmindedly signed the credit card slip when it was placed in front of me.

When I got home, I took a closer look at my receipt. It turned out that they had never charged me for the 4 bottles of 10 Cane.

I felt as I had just won the rum lottery.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:51 pm   Permalink

I like 10 Cane quite a bit. The fact that it's made from virgin cane gives it a unique, kind of earthy flavor that's somewhere between Cachaša and white rum. In fact, I often use it to replace about 1/2 the Cachaša in my Caipirinhas.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 5:56 pm   Permalink

I dig the 10 Cane quite a bit. An oz of 10 Cane and an oz of Rhum Clement makes for a damn tasty Menehune Juice. Now I've just gotta get a bottle of that Senior's Curacao that all the kids in California are going crazy about.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 12:14 pm   Permalink

I agree, it is a very tasty rum and is great for mixing; however, the price down in Texas ($35) is what I us1ually spend on si+pping rum.

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-04-01 12:53 pm   Permalink

I tried it straight at the Kona Club last night and I really didn't like the sweetness, but I particularly didn't like the aftertaste. I don't get the hype. Try Orinoco instead if you want to try a new tasty light rum. Just my 2 cents, I don't mean to "jab" anyone.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-04-01 5:59 pm   Permalink

One of the best things about 10 Cane is the way it smells. Pull the cork top off, and it smells wonderful.

I've tried 10 Cane straight up too, but I didn't care for it this way. But when I mixed it as part of my standard mai-tai recipe, it did add a whole new flavor, which I greatly enjoyed.

I'm also a sucker for the bottle design.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-31 17:56, Kono wrote:
Now I've just gotta get a bottle of that Senior's Curacao that all the kids in California are going crazy about.

I stumbled upon their website about two years ago and thought it interesting. Then I was at Sam's in Chicago and they had it in stock. I should have bought some, but at the time my money was going toward Lemon Hart and John Taylor Falernum.

They still have it online:
http://www.samswine.com/Products/Product.aspx?SKU=10030067

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-30 22:51, MrBaliHai wrote:
I like 10 Cane quite a bit. The fact that it's made from virgin cane gives it a unique, kind of earthy flavor that's somewhere between Cachaša and white rum. In fact, I often use it to replace about 1/2 the Cachaša in my Caipirinhas.

Which Cachaca do you use in your caipirinha?

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 04:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

Which Cachaca do you use in your caipirinha?

I've been using
Ypiˇca .

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation