FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food 10 Cane Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
10 Cane Rum
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-21 12:24 pm   Permalink

10 Cane and Adidas sponsored a Los Angeles business soccer "tournament" last weekend. Many hip non-profs and businesses participated, like KCRW the local NPR station, collector sneaker shops, mid-century boutique hotels and youth-oriented production companies. 10 Cane had an open bar throughout the whole event, serving two drinks: Mojito's or Dark n' Stormy's. Having free booze was nice although it seemed to contradict the efforts of a sportman's pursuit, but I couldn't help but cock my head a little at the recipes.

10 cane Mojito:

1/8th slice of lime, virtually non-existent
mint, muddle both
seemingly endless, unmeasured pour of sugar syrup
unmeasured pour of 10 Cane
Canada Dry ginger ale

before the bartender began, he asked me "traditional Mojito or new style."
I asked for a traditional, then after watching him pour this little concoction I looked around for the guy who might've ordered the "new style."
Nope, this baby was for me, in all its traditional glory.

It tasted like sweetened ginger ale. They were also doing a strawberry version.

Then, I watched him mix a dark n' stormy (i'm not even sure they were calling it that), which I tried not to pay attention to. They were using Jamaican Ginger beer which was good to see but then there was no dark jamaican rum, only ten cane, and some fresh ginger? I stopped watching, turned my attention to the soccer game, and didn't order another drink. Sometimes I wonder why bartending and recipe finding is like a rocket science that even a rum company can't figure out? I was amazed. all that sugar syrup in a rum that is supposed to be super-premium. "Yeah, other rums use molasses, we don't do that" one rep told me. Super! Where's the oversized bottle of corn syrup again?

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kontrhovercie

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

I've just recently been introduced to 10 Cane, and I have to say, it's by far the smoothest rum I've ever had. I attended the adidas Event, and the 10 Cane Mojitos were excellent in my opinion...I especially liked the strawberry one.

View Profile of kontrhovercie Send a personal message to kontrhovercie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 5:53 pm   Permalink

I've always considered the Ten Cane to be overpriced for what you get. Normally in Massachusetts and New Hampshire it's about $33-$36, and it's just not worth that much IMHO. I've been looking for a nip so that I could taste it again and review it, but haven't been able to find one.

But last week I stumbled into a liquor store in Boston and snagged a bottle for $19. Now that price makes Ten Cane worthwhile.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-23 6:12 pm   Permalink

Moet Hennessey: Heap Big Marketing Budget!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twocent$

Posted: 2007-07-25 10:01 pm   Permalink

Traditionally my drink of choice for summer is a cool refreshing mojito. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a top-shelf rum. I recently tried 10 Cane Rum at the AdiCup soccer tournament in Santa Monica, CA. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the rum tasted in both the regular mojitos and the strawberry mojitos.. My search for the perfect rum is over!!

View Profile of twocent$ Send a personal message to twocent$      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 2:38 pm   Permalink

10 CANE fifth closeout priced at the Frys here in AZ...15.74

yeah the bottle design (squarish? niiice) sucked me in--kinda early today to do a tasting but based on these reports looks like a decent deal was had

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-21 12:24, Registered Astronaut wrote:...Sometimes I wonder why bartending and recipe finding is like a rocket science that even a rum company can't figure out?...

I am not a big fan of 10 Cane, it is much more marketing than product in my opinion.

But, it is a nice rum, and in Henessey's defense... They may have had 'good' recipes to work from but that doesn't mean those recipes actually made it all the way down the line to the actual bartenders. Maybe the guy making yours was the sub, or maybe he didn't bother to actuall read the recipe provided, or maybe a bunch of other things......

For those of you finding a deal on it (less than $25 a bottle) you should get some. I have the luxury of having the minis available in my area so I can play with it without having a whole bottle sit on my shelf taking valuable space from something I like better.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 6:03 pm   Permalink

I love the stuff, particularly in Daquiris and modified Caipirinhas. The local wine/cigar shoppe has the minis on sale, so I picked up a couple of bottles this afternoon.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-28 16:25, Chip and Andy wrote:
I am not a big fan of 10 Cane, it is much more marketing than product in my opinion...

But, it is a nice rum...

For those of you finding a deal on it (less than $25 a bottle) you should get some...

I heartily agree on all points. It is not a bad rum - it is very good, just seriously overpriced. $25 a bottle is closer to value. As I mentioned earlier, I managed a bottle for $19 and that is in the bargain category for any rum this good. But $37? No thanks.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Orphananas

Posted: 2007-08-11 12:30 pm   Permalink

I'm a big fan of Ten Cane Rum. It's not as good as Bacardi Silver, but it's quite good in its own right.

View Profile of Orphananas Send a personal message to Orphananas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-11 12:30, Orphananas wrote:
I'm a big fan of Ten Cane Rum. It's not as good as Bacardi Silver, but it's quite good in its own right.

???
If it's not even as good as Bacardi Silver it must be truly awful.

Once I did a backyard project that took several days and I drank can after can of Mountain Dew. One time I accidentally picked up a can that I had left out in the hot sun for a couple of days. It was flat, boiling hot, and full of ants.
That can of soda tasted better than Bacardi Silver.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arnold_watson

Posted: 2007-08-23 12:34 am   Permalink

It is a very nice and tasty rum...

Kevin
http://allendonald.wordpress.com/2007/05/05/hello-world/

View Profile of arnold_watson Send a personal message to arnold_watson  Goto the website of arnold_watson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jessicasteven

Posted: 2009-05-14 06:51 am   Permalink

I placed an order for gouged bassoon cane from Tony at allbassooncane.com in mid April. At the end of May, I sent him several emails to check the status of the order, but he never responded to my messages. He also did not respond to the voice mail I left on his phone. Has anyone else had trouble either receiving an order from Tony or contacting him in the past couple of months?

Thanks,
Jessica Steven

View Profile of jessicasteven Send a personal message to jessicasteven  Goto the website of jessicasteven     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 11:17 am   Permalink

I have been trying many rums lately and 10 cane is just not good straight up for me. As others have said in a mojito great!

amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-05-14 11:25 am   Permalink

First and only post from kontrhovercie:
Quote:

On 2007-07-23 14:24, kontrhovercie wrote:
I've just recently been introduced to 10 Cane, and I have to say, it's by far the smoothest rum I've ever had. I attended the adidas Event, and the 10 Cane Mojitos were excellent in my opinion...I especially liked the strawberry one.

First and only post from twocent$:
Quote:

On 2007-07-25 22:01, twocent$ wrote:
Traditionally my drink of choice for summer is a cool refreshing mojito. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a top-shelf rum. I recently tried 10 Cane Rum at the AdiCup soccer tournament in Santa Monica, CA. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the rum tasted in both the regular mojitos and the strawberry mojitos.. My search for the perfect rum is over!!

F*KN' SHILLS!

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2009-05-14 13:52 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation