FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The coolest new TIKI song ever!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The coolest new TIKI song ever!
KUN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-06-24 9:27 pm   Permalink

Hey fellow TIKI fans - I thought you all might like to get hip to the coolest new TIKI song going. The song is called The Desert Luau and it is on the new David Ball CD called "Freewheeler". David is best known for his hits " Thinkin' Problem" and "Riding With Private Malone" - which were country music hits - but he captures true TIKI style as envisioned by urban archaeologist Sven Kartsten. The hybrid is something I call KUN-TIKI - country / polynesian! The song was written by Danny Baker better known as Unkown Hinson.
I highly recommend it!

Happy listening -

TIKI Chris
" There'll be good music and good chow -
At the Desert Luau "

View Profile of KUN - TIKI Send a personal message to KUN - TIKI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 11:51 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmmmmmm...

I'm a Huge fan of David Ball (and, moreso, the band he started out with - Uncle Walt's Band) and a Trememdous Fan of Unknown Hinson. I gotta say, though, that while calling Desert Luau the "Coolest Tiki Song" mignt be a stretch, the "New" part puts it into a pretty good perspective. Perhaps "Coolest New Tiki Novelty Song" would be more like it as it is a Very Cool Country/Tiki Novelty number (how much Country music do you want playing at your luau to begin with?). Unknown's original version appears on his "The Future is Unknown..." CD (1999 Uniphone URCD-0001) which is probably pretty much impossible to find nowdays. If you find it, though... BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!

Regardless of Desert Luau's relevance in terms of Tiki Importance, I'd say that these are both artists that should be checked into by any and all fans of modern American popular music.

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2005-06-25 00:03 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 07:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-24 21:27, KUN - TIKI wrote:
Happy listening -
TIKI Chris
" There'll be good music and good chow -
At the Desert Luau "

For the record, that ain't me.

(another) Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uke jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-25 08:47 am   Permalink

anyone know if there's any ukulele on this cd?

View Profile of uke jackson Send a personal message to uke jackson  Goto the website of uke jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KUN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-06-25 9:56 pm   Permalink

Agreed on all fronts Vic - you are obviously an astute music enthusiast.

Tiki Chris, sorry about encroaching on the moniker - I'll stick to the KUN - TIKI one I registered with.

Uke question - yes, there is a brief cameo of the Uke in the tune. Not what I would call a Uke tour de force - still, campy and fun.

I play an old Roy Smeck.

Best to all,

KUN - TIKI

View Profile of KUN - TIKI Send a personal message to KUN - TIKI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 10:33 pm   Permalink

Kun-Tiki is not the best name, perhaps.
Just say it aloud a few times and see what I mean...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 06:36 am   Permalink

THANK YOU TIKIFISH!
I only had to read it once to say "eeewwww"! And sorry Tiki Chris II, I was inclined to think you a smartass because of it, and probably wouldn't give any of your posts much serious thought.

P.S. Glad to see it wasn't you, Original Tiki Chris, I was wondering what had gotten into you!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 07:40 am   Permalink

Aloha Kun-Tiki,

No worries about the kun-fusion! Tikifish & Purple Jade may have point about how iki your username is. Here are some possible alternative monikers you might want to kun-sider:

Komb-Tiki (if you're a hairdresser)

HoneyKomb-Tiki (if you're a beekeeper)

Korn-Tiki (ummm...pass the butter!)

Kohen-Tiki (if you follow the theory that the early Polynesians were actually one of the lost tribes of Israel)

Khan-Tiki (perhaps the early Polynesians were from Mongolia or the Indian Subcontinent?)

Kar-Tiki (vroom vroom!)

Mopar Kam-Tiki (VROOM VROOM!)

Kod-Tiki (in Portuguese this would be Bacalau-Tiki)

Kode-Tiki (shhh...)

Too much coffee,
Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 08:23 am   Permalink

KOHEN-TIKI!!!!!

That's as good as Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KUN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-06-26 2:37 pm   Permalink

WOW! I hadn't anticipated eliciting such a reaction concerning the username. Maybe I'll change it to Koan - Tiki. That way, Purple Jade can feel free to give "serious thought" to my post about some fine music. OOPS! - guess that's just the "smartass" coming out in me. Sorry if any adults were offended or read more in to the name than was intended.

Best wishes,

Koan - Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: KUN - TIKI on 2005-06-26 14:51 ]

KUN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-06-26 2:45 pm   Permalink

Just to show that I am earnest in my reply and hopeful for a fresh start here in this coolest of communities.

Best to all,

Koan - Tiki

KUN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-06-26 2:48 pm   Permalink

That last post was supposed to be under my new username - KOAN - TIKI (member # 3355).
Perhaps a cookies issue? Not sure what has happened but this is definitely not turning out as hoped. Maybe I'll just go hide under a volcano or something.

Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: KUN - TIKI on 2005-06-26 15:01 ]

Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-26 07:40, Tiki Chris wrote:

Khan-Tiki (perhaps the early Polynesians were from Mongolia or the Indian Subcontinent?)

Or Khaaaaaannnnnn!-Tiki:

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-bot on 2005-06-27 13:17 ]

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-27 12:59 pm   Permalink

I didn't get the mis-reading of KUN-TIKI until I sait out loud a couple times, luckily only one of my employees was around & he's pretty understanding of me. I must admit that I [b]Love[/i] the new name! Koan-Tiki is much, much better than Kun-Tiki, all you need is a tiki twisted into that zen-zero symbol...

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-06-29 16:43 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skeeter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-27 2:52 pm   Permalink

Traitor Vic,
Are you referring to Unknown Hinson Theme?

I have that CD (Great stuff!!) but that tune doesn't sound very tiki to me, more spy/James Bondish. Haven't heard Desert Luau. Curious about it though, Unknown writes some cool stuff.

View Profile of skeeter Send a personal message to skeeter  Goto the website of skeeter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation