FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What is the sound of Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What is the sound of Tiki?
Thor
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-30 11:07 am   Permalink

OK, I discovered at Baxdog's party that many many musical styles could be construed as Tiki (and just as many most certainly can't!).

So, I ask you all, what is the sound of Tiki? Respond with your opinions, names, styles, et peter cetera.

View Profile of Thor Send a personal message to Thor  Email Thor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-10-30 11:51 am   Permalink

It is the sound of contemplative silence.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 3:41 pm   Permalink

I'd say, Exotica, Lounge, Surf, Beach sounds, waterfalls, rain, birdcalls, Buffett, Traditional Hawaiian music, some modern ... whoops? Did I say Buffett? Sorry, that one doesn't count.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 4:17 pm   Permalink

Beat 1..2...3:

Not what they play at Taboo Cove!

evil midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 5:44 pm   Permalink

Thor,
In Exotica the big Three are Arty, Marty and Les.

Aurthur Lyman (Try Hawaiian Sunset)
Martin Denny (Try Quiet Village)
Les Baxter (Ritual of the Savage or Tamboo)

I think you can listen to some of it on TraderPups website.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ob seagull
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-30 5:50 pm   Permalink

martin denny's swamp fire is sehr good

View Profile of ob seagull Send a personal message to ob seagull      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 7:38 pm   Permalink

The sound of an ax striking wood while chips whistle by your ears. The ocean and seabirds gently whispering in the background. Bamboo windchimes tinkling in the tradewinds. Ukes and bongos being played in the shade of a mangrove. Well, I guess you cant really here a shady mangrove, but it helps the setting. As for Music, I agree with what everybody else mentioned and will add a few: Eden Ahbez, Don Tiki, APE, Tiki Tones, Aquavelvets, The Shadows, Gabby Pahinui, The list could go on but I will stop here.
Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-30 9:14 pm   Permalink

It's the splashing sound of rum being poured over ice cubes...the squeeze of the lime...it's the sound of condensation slipping down the side of your favorite Tiki mug or glass and then splashing the counter as you lift it to your lips to sip...and that first scent of the exotic just prior to the sip...the sounds of Tiki are many. ummm...makes me kinda thirsty. Think I'll go mix one up.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
C.B. Howlie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-31 12:57 am   Permalink

The sound of the bamboo beaded curtain rustling as you enter the tiki bar.

[ This Message was edited by: C.B. Howlie on 2002-10-31 01:01 ]

View Profile of C.B. Howlie Send a personal message to C.B. Howlie  Goto the website of C.B. Howlie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 02:19 am   Permalink

Glad to see that surf was mentioned. I would like to add one PHENOMENAL group that is all too often overlooked. That group is Tipsy. Their first album, "Trip TeaseL The Seductive Sounds of Tipsy," is composed almost exclusively of samples of old lounge records. The result is a half lounge, half down tempo electronica cocktail that is it at once retro yet timeless. This is an album that I have had since it first came out in 1996 and I have NEVER gotten tired of it. There have even been entire days when I have listened to nothing but this album. There have been other attempts to fuse the sounds of vintage lounge and modern electronica (such as Dimitri from Paris's "Sacre Francais," Luke Vibert & BJ Cole's "Stop the Panic," and the two volume s of Electro-Lounge from the Right Stuff) but Tipsy's debut album is infinitely more enjoyable than all of them. Even if you hate electronica, you will love this album!

One final thing, this isn't really specifically tiki as it is more just generally lounge, but it fits right in with a tiki bar, Vegas lounge, or a space station orbitting the earth.
Hear Trader Rick every Saturday night from 9:00-2:00 AM at Exotic Lounge spinning Exotica, Surf, rockabilly, lounge and more.
Tonga Hut
12808 Victory Blvd.
N. Hollywood, CA

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-10-31 05:39 am   Permalink

tipsy's second album Uh-Oh is great as well, tipsy kick bottom!

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 07:10 am   Permalink

When the TIKI speaks
And no one is there
Can you hear them?

The Tiki that speaks first and laughs last
Likes his own jokes

Two TIKIS in your palm
Is not as fun as
One TIKI in your bush

To make one kind of Tiki sound is stale
Add shuffle and many people can be happy.
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 07:38 am   Permalink

Heavy drums and a virgin sacrafice!

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 09:12 am   Permalink

I'll second Tipsy. They have been on my broadcast from day 1. I can't get rid of it. It's too good. I would add a few more in that vein like Groove Armada, but nothing works like Tipsy. Do they perform live? I'd love to have them at Hukilau some year.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 09:14 am   Permalink

Ah yes Tipsy, Good Call. I did a flash animation for a school project and used there tune Mr. Excitement for the sound track. The project had an outerspace bar setting, a thirsty three-eyed beatnik alien, and a Bartender Brain mixing up weird intoxica. All the crazy stuff that fills my warped melon when I listen to "trip tease"
The only thing missing was a titanium rocket tiki. Definately good lounging tunes with a twist electronic psychedelia.
Chongolio

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation