FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » What is the sound of Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What is the sound of Tiki?
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-10-31 09:27 am   Permalink

I would imagine alot of members think it corny, but I really like listening to the 'hapa haole' stuff when I'm mixing 'em up and sucking 'em down.

Thor, in another thread (the dreaded "DUDE this Rocks") you asked for some hapa haole tunes. I would suggest a compilation album by Harry Kalapana and his Hawaiian Guitars; one such is 'Aloha Hawaii'. Some favorite cuts of mine on that CD are Ainahau, Eponika, E Maururu A Vau, and Honolulu Hula.

My youngest daughter 'hula's' and I have subsequently come to enjoy Tahitian Drum music (rhythm) lately.

Music soothes the savage Tiki!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-31 09:33 am   Permalink

You guys haven't nailed it yet...The TRUE sound of Tiki is....the sound of a rum drink being shaken !!!!!

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 5:46 pm   Permalink

There are some Hapa Haole tunes on my new CD, and some Tikis!

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-11-01 6:08 pm   Permalink

Tipsy performs live, although I'm not sure how often. They were at KFJC's listener apperciation party like, 4 years ago, and they also played some shows at Club Deluxe in San Francisco for the release of Uh-Oh!

They are definitely one of my favorite groups around today. Their sound is too modern to be called Classic Tiki Bar music, but they are very, very cool.

Combustible Edison's first few albums were very "classic" loungy but with a pretty swinging, upbeat sound. The last album "impossible world" was a good fusion of classic lounge with modern beats and sounds. (Are they back together again? I have heard rumors of them playing shows)
I have page on them on tikiroom:

http://www.tikiroom.com/music/combustible.htm

PS.. when listening to Impossible World for the first time, skip track 1. Although it's a good track, I don't think it's the best one to start off with.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 6:32 pm   Permalink

Blood too!

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-11-01 6:42 pm   Permalink

One more link I think I'll throw out here. This is page of lesser-heard or known-about Exotica music. Music that turns up in odd places (most are available on CD):

http://www.tikiroom.com/music/savage-alsoworthnoting.htm

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 8:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Hanford, I was just checking out tikiroom.com and saw that you too are an Eden Ahbez fan. Do you ( or anybody else) know if there is any other releases by him or do we have to be happy with the one disk from Dionysus?
Thanx,
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2002-11-01 20:45 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 09:56 am   Permalink

I'd have to pretty much agree with everyone so far. Put me down for offering another endorsement of Combustible Edison, as well.

How about:

Leon Russell's "Back to the Island"

Bob Marley's "Lively Up Yourself"

ROXY MUSIC's "Avalon"!!!!!

Burning Sensations' "Belly of the Whale"

The Nails' "88 Lines About 44 Women"

Almost any Leon Redbone tune.

Going out on a limb:

Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken"

Rolling Stones' "Far Away Eyes"

Neil Young's "Deep Forbidden Lake"

School of Fish's "Three Strange Days"

Joe Walsh is somehow Tiki to me - "Rocky Mountain Way" and especially "HAPPY WAYS"

So, anyhow, Tiki is where you find it for yourself, eh?

[ This Message was edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2002-11-03 09:57 ]

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 12:40 pm   Permalink

After thinking about it a little more, I realize I don't know what the sound of tiki is b/c my tikis don't say much. Except the big one. He tells me to burn things.
Hear Trader Rick every Saturday night from 9:00-2:00 AM at Exotic Lounge spinning Exotica, Surf, rockabilly, lounge and more.
Tonga Hut
12808 Victory Blvd.
N. Hollywood, CA

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 12:43 pm   Permalink

After thinking about it a little more, I realize I don't know what the sound of tiki is b/c my tikis don't say much. Except the big one. He tells me to burn things.
Hear Trader Rick every Saturday night from 9:00-2:00 AM at Exotic Lounge spinning Exotica, Surf, rockabilly, lounge and more.
Tonga Hut
12808 Victory Blvd.
N. Hollywood, CA

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2002-11-03 7:24 pm   Permalink

For tiki lounging it's gotta be Martin, Les, and Arthur, for tiki carving it's Led Kaapana, Keola Beamer, and Bobby Ingano, for tiki surfing it's The Aqua Velvets, The Huntington Cads, and for everything it's The Mermen.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2002-11-03 9:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-11-01 20:44, Chongolio wrote:
Hey Hanford, I was just checking out tikiroom.com and saw that you too are an Eden Ahbez fan.

I LOVE Eden's Island. Hands down my favorite Exotica recording ever.

Quote:
Do you ( or anybody else) know if there is any other releases by him or do we have to be happy with the one disk from Dionysus?

Well, he wrote "Nature boy" although I have not heard of a recording by him. I have heard/read something about his "Island suite" or "Nature suite", which was recorded before Eden's Island. I don't think it's on CD at all.

The only other Abhez recording that I know of and have is "Tobago", which is an instrumental version of the "Eden's Island" theme. It was the b-side to "The old boat" 45. The reed instrument/shell sound heard at the beginning of "Eden's Island" is used to replace the vocal track throughout "Tobago". Added in is the sounds of the surf through a flanger, so you get this weird flange effect through the whole song.

If anyone tracks down anything else by Eden (CD or otherwise) please let us know!

Hanford

Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-05 07:01 am   Permalink

Sorry to get off topic (Deluxe on Haight is great by the way, enjoyed staggering there from the Gold Cane next door), but I gotta ask;

Having lived in godawful Coalinga, California for a year, is HANFORD LEMOORE a reference to the only other two towns that give Coalinga a run for being biggest dump in the world?

Sincerely,
Avenal Kettleman

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 07:56 am   Permalink

I just mailed something from Ebay to "General Delivery, HANFORD, CA" this morning. But the weird thing was it took me a minute to clue in what I was writing... HEY, it's THAT hanford!!!!

I remember seeing the Hanford Lemoore exit on the way to or from Mr. Smileys house... (I think that's where we were going, piled into someone's car - possibly Hanford himself).

Seeing that sign warms the cockles of my heart!

I must make it my mission to find a similar sign in Canada where the town or street names make a fine alias for my alter ego... Queen Tecumseth sounds kind of nice, n'est-ce pas?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 09:29 am   Permalink

Here’s the cover of my album.
You hear a surf guitar in almost all of the tunes. But the grooves are much more varied than common in surf music. It’s got some lounge, soul-jazz and exotica stops pulled.

If you don’t want to wait for the official release early next year…

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Kahuna_Kawentzmann/images/sm-152823.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann on 2002-11-05 09:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kawentzmann on 2002-11-05 09:42 ]

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation