FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki king kong!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
king kong!
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 3:41 pm   Permalink

http://www.kingkongmovie.com/ef239524432ba87f1ca8f70eed4b1fa7/en_large.html

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 6:28 pm   Permalink

I'm a purist when it comes to originals, but this remake looks like it rocks. Isn't Kong the ultimate tiki movie, Skull Island being somewhere way, way down in the uncharted South Pacific seas?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 9:28 pm   Permalink

I'm glad they kept it in the depression period. Jack Black seems an odd choice for that character.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mystiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 11:41 pm   Permalink

Yes, absolutely tiki! My favorite bit from the original KK is a scene where the island warriors are dancing in a line, and one of the guys wigs falls off...but they didn't cut it out of the movie. Heeelarrrioous! I always look for it every time I watch it.

A couple years ago, I asked my husband to do a king kong piece. He called it "Kong Tiki" taking place on Skull Island. It remains to be one of my favorite works of art.

I think Peter Jackson will do the new KK justice. He has an artistic eye which makes his films intoxicating. They pull me in. I can't wait for this to come out!!!

Quote:

On 2005-06-28 18:28, aikiman44 wrote:
I'm a purist when it comes to originals, but this remake looks like it rocks. Isn't Kong the ultimate tiki movie, Skull Island being somewhere way, way down in the uncharted South Pacific seas?

Jamio Designs (jamio.com)-Taboo Tiki and Kustom Kulture Art

View Profile of Mystiki Send a personal message to Mystiki  Email Mystiki Goto the website of Mystiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-29 05:38 am   Permalink

here's a KONG TIKI I designed for an animation i did a year ago..

[ This Message was edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 07:16 ]

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
webwide
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-29 06:23 am   Permalink

WOW - that trailer just gives me chills! I don't know how tiki it is, but that movie's gonna rock - one of those "must see at theater" flicks.....

View Profile of webwide Send a personal message to webwide  Email webwide Goto the website of webwide ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 11:08 am   Permalink

I was a little concerned about Jack Black in this movie, too, but I figure PJ knows what he's doing and it would probably work. Now that I see him in the trailer, I think he hits just the right note as a fast-talking, PT Barnum type huckster/filmmaker.

After his LoTR triumph, I cannot wait to see this movie. I a purist, too, and this is one of my all-time favorite movies and one of the reasons I originally got into filmmaking & effects. If anyone can do justice with a remake, I think Jackson can. It looks absolutely incredible.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 5:11 pm   Permalink

Woohoo! That's a helluva trailer! I've just watched it six times straight.

I think Jack Black is going to be perfect for his role. The one that concerns me a bit is Adrien Brody. He seems a bit of a pretty boy for the part, no? I'm thinking more of a Race Bannon kind of guy as Jack Driscoll. Too bad Race is an animation. The overall style and atmosphere look outstanding, especially Skull Island. The natives appear a bit too Occidental but I like how they're all so primeval and mysterious looking.

To me, if there's anything in the trailer that really worries me about this movie it's that they might go way overboard on the computer generated special effects. I don't want no tuck and roll jujitsu anime King Kong battling a Hong Kong Category III kung fu tyrannosaur! It just doesn't look right for these 100 ton behemoths to be running around like Jet Li on meth. Slow it down man! Watch some old Harryhausen Sinbad movies and give us just a touch of that old school feel when dinosaurs actually made the earth shake with each foot step. Boom! Boom! RAAAAAAARRRRR!!

Got a bit carried away there. Looks like a great flick nonetheless. Here's that Kong Tiki that Jamio did. Got it hanging right next to me here at my computer desk:

I've obviously got this Quicktime trailer somewhere on my hard drive in a temp file as I can play it again and again without waiting for it to load. Anyone know where it's located (Windows XP) so's I can save it??

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 6:01 pm   Permalink

In the 1933 original, Skull Island's inhabitants seemed to be much more African than Polynesian. From the few brief shots in the trailer it appears they went with a more obscure mish-mash of Polynesia and possibly SE Asia. It also has a very "voodoo-ish" vibe to it. Makes sense to go with a more anonymous island culture since Africa is not exactly the unexplored continent is was back then (at least by white people).

For all the Kong you can eat, check out PJ's production diaries on the KongisKing site:

http://www.kongisking.net/index.shtml

Peter has a great sense of humor. Note the running gag about "guest directors".

aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 7:08 pm   Permalink

I think Jack Black might do the Jack Armstrong character justice. As for Adrien Brody, well, we'll see. That's supposed to be a feal heroic character, not thte overly sensitive Alan Alda type. I agree with the CGI possibly being overdone. There's nothing like the O'Brien/Harryhausen stuff for weight and personality. I enjoyed the Mighty Joe Young remake, but the old style animation gave the characters real personality.
And that's a beautiful Kong/tiki.

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kauno
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-30 07:05 am   Permalink

Killer Kong trailer! Can't wait to see it on the big screen.

View Profile of kauno Send a personal message to kauno  Goto the website of kauno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-06-30 09:31 am   Permalink

I think one of the most amazing effects of this film has got to be Peter Jackson's INCREDIBLE weight loss. I saw him on the Lucas AFI tribute a week or two ago, and I could not believe it was him.

He's smaller than Jack Black now!

Well done, PJ!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 10:53 am   Permalink

I watched the first few director's diaries and wondered who this skinny guy with the accent was. I wish I knew PJ's amazing weight loss secret. Maybe it's from working 20 hour days on $150 million movies, but I thought that was how he gained the weight in the first place. It seems to have just magically disappeared after LoTR.

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 01:53 am   Permalink

KONG!!
One of the saddest damn movies I have ever watched. A great retelling of the KONG legend and a bit deeper than a cheesy remake on many levels. I dug it!

Kongolio

p.s. oooo... and look a contest:

http://www.kongisking.net/giveaway/

" I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain
www.Lost-Isle.com
www.piggod.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio 2005-12-15 02:01 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 10:55 am   Permalink

Kong as Tiki?

Luckily, no flames yet!

Hey, if rum from the Caribbean can be Tiki, ceramics from China can be Tiki, and polyester shirts made in India can be Tiki, why not Skull Island?

It can surely have a Tiki feel, I'd say!

If the original Kong is allowed in the Tikiverse, then we have incorporated Africa in our vibe, which is fine. The primitive juxtaposed with the modern is one of the pillars of Tiki, so I'll let Kong in!

Race Bannon would be great, but he's gotta be seventy years old by now! He was a great actor.

I hear he can still do one armed push-ups, though!

I wonder if they could have reworked the relationships a little and used Jack Palance in Adrian Brody's role?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation