FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki king kong!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
king kong!
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 10:57 am   Permalink

Kono!

That print is killer!

Is there any place they can still be had?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-15 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-29 05:38, atomictonytiki wrote:
here's a KONG TIKI I designed for an animation i did a year ago..

I am not an expert but that looks like a DONG TIKI to me

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-15 10:57, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Kono!

That print is killer!

Is there any place they can still be had?

Right here:

http://www.jamio.com/tiki.htm

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-16 04:09 am   Permalink

Kono, thank you.

I feel embarrassed for not knowing the site!

I'm going to organize my budget and buy several.

Thank you for the link!

The prints at that site are gorgeous.

Added as an edit: Those prints are so cool, my wife asked about originals! Any idea how much Jamio's originals sell for? I think the thrill of owning a real life original with the textures of the brush, etc...would be superlative!

[ This Message was edited by: Geeky Tiki 2005-12-16 04:13 ]

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-16 3:44 pm   Permalink

Saw it last night. The giant walls & Door surrounding Skull Island have huge awesome Tiki Images of stone. THe offering of Naomi Watts has got lava waterfalls and the then the 50 ft. door's eyes glow as well.
The cannibals are the best I've ever seen anywhere.
The first act is one big F----- Tiki Bar of the first caliber!
Jack Black did a great job.

But Lewis Black would have been better.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-16 04:09, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Added as an edit: Those prints are so cool, my wife asked about originals! Any idea how much Jamio's originals sell for? I think the thrill of owning a real life original with the textures of the brush, etc...would be superlative!

If you go up towards the beginning of this thread you'll see a post by Mystiki. She's the one to contact with your Jamio questions. She's got the inside track.

Ship of Souls is my second favorite after Kong Tiki.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Neptune Wahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-17 05:07 am   Permalink

We went to see King Kong last night and it was AWESOME!!!!! Skull Island is intense. The dinosaurs and other creatures are amazing. I cried like a baby at the end. Origionally, that was why I wasn't going to go see the movie, because it is such a heartbreaker. The three hours fly by ...... Definitely go see it!

View Profile of Neptune Wahine Send a personal message to Neptune Wahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 2:23 pm   Permalink

Fantastic film. Anyone notive the crate in the hold of the ship marked Sumatran Rat Monkey? As a nod to Peter Jackson's film Brain Dead (Dead Alive)

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-12-19 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-18 14:23, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Sumatran Rat Monkey? As a nod to Peter Jackson's film Brain Dead (Dead Alive)

"You can't stop me, I'm a new Zealand zoo officer" i used to carry a fake new Zealand zoo pass coz i loved that film so much.

And TikiTikiTavi in my film there are a few jokes about the well endowed Kong-tiki but also as a tribute to the thousands of tikis that have lost their whoppers to Victorian prudishness.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 10:53 am   Permalink

I loved it, though it was so over the top it will take a while to digest. I hope to see it again over the holiday. It's a bit too long for its own good, but I didn't think the set-up was too drawn out. The whole sub-plot of the ship's first mate and the kid was weak and should've been jettisoned. I would have preferred if they had instead left in the shots where Ann gets past the army to approach Kong in NYC. She just sort of appears out of nowhere on a deserted street(and in the cheesiest shot of the film, imho). I suppose PJ needs something to put back into the inevitable 5 hour, 12 disk DVD set.

I loved all the in-jokes in the film, particularly the tacky Broadway dance number that apes (pun intended) the cheesy natives from the original movie. The orchestra is even playing the original Max Steiner score. It's also a nice bit of social commentary on the way "real" natives are versus the way they might be depicted by money-grubbing showbiz hucksters back in the "civilized" world. Also loved that they use Driscoll and Ann's "real" cheesy 1933 dialog onboard the ship as a rehearsal scene for the movie that Denham is shooting in the new version. Nice, too, that the final dino Kong fights is very much an homage to Willis O'Brian's '33 battle in its staging and detail (the head punches; the wrestler tumble; playing with the dead dino's jaw).

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-19 9:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

It's also a nice bit of social commentary on the way "real" natives are versus the way they might be depicted by money-grubbing showbiz hucksters back in the "civilized" world.

I recently read Crichton's novel "State of Fear" before seeing "King Kong," and as creepy as the real natives were in "King Kong," the natives in Crichton's book were much worse. Anyway, your comment made me think of that book because of the naive civilized character in the book who is delighted to finally meet real natives living "close to nature," only to find that was the worst mistake he ever made, to put it very mildly.

[Edited: I originally stated the book "Amazonia"--wrong book]

[ This Message was edited by: mbonga 2005-12-20 06:47 ]

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-19 10:53, Tiki-bot wrote:

I loved all the in-jokes in the film, particularly the tacky Broadway dance number that apes (pun intended) the cheesy natives from the original movie. The orchestra is even playing the original Max Steiner score. It's also a nice bit of social commentary on the way "real" natives are versus the way they might be depicted by money-grubbing showbiz hucksters back in the "civilized" world. Also loved that they use Driscoll and Ann's "real" cheesy 1933 dialog onboard the ship as a rehearsal scene for the movie that Denham is shooting in the new version. Nice, too, that the final dino Kong fights is very much an homage to Willis O'Brian's '33 battle in its staging and detail (the head punches; the wrestler tumble; playing with the dead dino's jaw).

I thought the reference to Faye Wray being unavailable for Denham's movie because she was busy shooting a film for RKO with director Merian C. Cooper was pretty sly and probably went over a lot of heads. I recently read that Cooper's King Kong saved RKO Pictures from bankruptcy and that Carl Denham could be compared to Cooper. I have not seen it but there is a documentary on Merian C. Cooper called " I am King Kong" apparently he was quite the adventurer, risk taker and an amazing person.

Chongolio

" I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain
www.Lost-Isle.com
www.piggod.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio to fix a name screw up 2005-12-20 19:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio 2005-12-20 20:03 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 3:16 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, here's a link to a full length article I recently wrote for another retro web site, Port Halcyon, comparing '33 vs. '05: http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/200512/kong.shtml

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 3:37 pm   Permalink

Don't forget there's a 1976 version, too. In fact the rental DVD for that is in my player at this moment, though I've gotten only half way through. Seems pretty decent so far.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=97360364323&userid=2w6S9pqCPj&frm=0&itm=5

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 7:49 pm   Permalink

Anyone else catch the Maori sailor in the passageway on the ship?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation