FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Creating Tiki Theme Discussion/Comments.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Creating Tiki Theme Discussion/Comments.
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 5:15 pm   Permalink

This forum is for discussion and comments of the theme of the month for creating tiki, any one can participate,and there are no winners.

[ This Message was edited by: kirby on 2005-07-02 19:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2005-08-03 15:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2005-08-03 15:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2005-09-27 16:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2005-09-27 16:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2005-10-05 22:56 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

I like the idea. But perhaps there would be to many egos stirring the pot? I would hate there to be hard feelings. I wonder too if there would be people stumping for the honor. But all in all, I think it would be fun.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 7:20 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a winning idea. Where to start.

And the spotlight artist should have to tell us some stories about themselves we might not know about them and their work.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-28 8:50 pm   Permalink

not a bad idea...wasn't toa doing a book about this? what ever happened to that?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 05:35 am   Permalink

Ego problems - no worries, as long as everyone acknowledges that I am THE artist that binds the very threads of TC together. How about we do monthly artists, and I can be the artist of the year!

I love the idea. But I am kinda wary (just look at the egomaniac I became just looking at this post, and i haven't even sold a piece). I think the majority of artists would be okay, but it could turn shitty very easily.

A cautious thumbs up from Hewey.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 3:29 pm   Permalink

I was thinking that the artist would have to fall under a small list of requirements, like the President of USA.

Must be a memeber of TC for six months (which wouldn't be hard cause six artist could go before.) Does anyone know if SHag is a TC memeber, but it wouldn't matter cause many other TC artist would be better suited .

Would have to have 30 posts or something along that lines.

Would have to be voted in by others.

Would have to post some current work.

And you guys can think anything else.

We should get a list going maybe of artists. Sure my name could go on, and when it gets to me four years down the road I will be ready.

Plus TC can do a speacil link by its links:

the Orongo Room

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY on 2005-06-29 15:32 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gretanicole
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-29 5:11 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone. I'm new here and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth on this topic.

An artist of the month contest is a really fun idea, but I could see how some people might get their feelings hurt or feel intimidated.

My idea, and I get this from livejournal, is to have a monthly theme. This way ALL the artists, amateurs and pros, could work on something simiarly themed and share it with everyone. There wouldn't be a contest, but hopefully lots of participation and we'd get to see lots of new art.

I don't know how to pick a theme, maybe the artists could post ideas and then someone could create a poll from that?

Just a thought ...

[ This Message was edited by: gretanicole on 2005-06-29 17:18 ]

View Profile of gretanicole Send a personal message to gretanicole      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 5:47 pm   Permalink

Bad idea in my opinion. Trust me this will cause problems and burst egos.

Gretanicole, I like your idea of a common idea. We actually started that exact thing a year ago but it didn't last long. I do think it's worth a try again though.

I'm going to try to find the old thread

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 5:53 pm   Permalink

www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7519&forum=7

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2005-06-29 17:54 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 7:47 pm   Permalink

AA challenged everyone to do a Leroy (Reloy) carvin' not too long ago...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11934&forum=7&vpost=126899

I'm still lookin to post a carving to that!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-29 8:18 pm   Permalink

I concur w/ Flounderart. A monthly theme would encourage everyone to focus on a central idea.

My suggestion would be to set a schedule or have a focus set a month in advance via a poll or something.

I have seen poll features in other message boards that I post on and that may be something for the webmaster to take care of.

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gretanicole
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-29 9:49 pm   Permalink

Here's a free online poll creator for (hopefully) "July's Tiki Art" theme.
http://www.easy-poll.com/

I guess we need to come up with some options? I'll throw out a few:

- 1930's tiki
- tiki lounge
- space age tiki
- "anything goes" tiki
- mysterious island pier

Doesn't seem like we're getting much feedback on this, maybe everyone's too busy? haha. Should we post this in the main discussion area, or contact other TC artists (maybe they haven't seen the thread yet)? I'll see if any of the artists from Livejournal http://www.livejournal.com/community/tiki_island/ might be interested.

View Profile of gretanicole Send a personal message to gretanicole      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 11:07 pm   Permalink

Kirby, great idea and well intentioned, but here's my dilemma. I could see a few of you great TC artists being nominated for Artist of the Month. Then I would either have to vote for one (which means basically voting "against" the others) or ignore the whole thing altogether. Either way the artists might get some warped view of how the rest of us view their work. Every one of us in a different stage of their progression as artists. I personally can only judge people's art by: A) how it compares with their previous art, B) How excited and into it they are, and C) Where they are headed. But NEVER a comparison against another artist's work, because that just doesn't make sense to me.

I DO like how this post has gone into the "theme" topic though. It's a great idea, but could we allow maybe three months for us slowpokes to finish other projects ongoing and get together our projects once the theme is decided? I'm envisioning not a contest, but a celebration of some specific facet of tiki art. Fun stuff, not competition - the Creating Forum was never that way. Surfintiki, thanks for the "Leroy" reference. Could it could be a more general O.A. theme? Sorry I'm done with that one tiki style, gotta move on!

Great start on the theme ideas, Gretanicole. I'm interested to hear more of them and will float some of my own once I've had a chance to mull it over. I have to say, though - Oceanic Arts would be a great place to start if this is something people want to do.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 11:59 pm   Permalink

I like the general monthly theme concept. Two thumbs up from Hewey

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 11:22 am   Permalink

Well, whatever happens I say Benzart won Tiki Central's artist on the week. Look at all the posts that have Benzart's name in the title right now.

Congrats Benzart

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation