FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Lushy at the Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver - Saturday, July 30th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Lushy at the Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver - Saturday, July 30th
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 9:28 pm   Permalink

This sounds like fun :

Lushy is playing at the Waldorf Hotel's Tahitian Twilight Lounge (with the Buttersprites) on Saturday, July 30th !

Who's in ? Selector Lopaka and I are going to try to go.

The Tahitian Twilight Lounge (where Lushy is playing) is a separate room from the Polynesian Room. So the Polynesian Room may not be open or connected to this event, but it still sounds like fun. I'll try to find out more.

Here's their website for more details :

http://www.lushy.com/

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2005-06-29 21:46 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-29 9:45 pm   Permalink

oooOOOooo
Road Trip!
are you guys thinking 'bout staying at the Waldorf that night? ~ i looked at their website, but there are no pictures posted.. know anything about this place?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 10:15 pm   Permalink

oh I would definitely be up for that!

(see my previous post in the "The Official NW Territory Event Mailing List" thread containing the following:
WALDORF! WALDORF! WALDORF!)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-29 10:25 pm   Permalink

elicia, I know nothing about the hotel, but the area it's in isn't the greatest.

I would suggest we all head there together, wearing brightly coloured clothing to ward off the evils.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 09:16 am   Permalink

I have never heard Lushy, but just based on the venue, I suggest that anyone who can possibly make it to this gig do so. This place is one of the coolest rewmaining Tiki spots anywhere, and that fact that it is only open to the public a few times a year (at best) make any opportunity to go there a must-do.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 10:28 am   Permalink

Yeah!!.....I'm in too!!!
Events there are rare these days, it's well worth seeing the venue as well as the entertainment.
The Waldorf is in the middle of nowhere, nothing within walking disitance of it. I'm not sure about the hotel itself (maybe I'll go have a look if anyone's interested). I'd definitely suggest staying in or around the downtown area.

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 2:42 pm   Permalink

The Waldorf Hotel (1489 Hastings St.) is in or very near the Gastown area (International District and home to the early episodes of the X-Files TV show) of Vancouver, B.C. As far as the area, it is a somewhat seedy area, yes; but compared to the seedy areas of Seattle it's a day and a walk in the park.

I've not been to Vancouver in a long while, but I do recall many cheap motels and hotels near by in the Gastown area. And The Waldorf is still (as far as I know) in operation; and their prices reasonable.

The Tahitian Room (aka Tahitian Twilight Lounge) in the Waldorf is spectacular! In fact, I prefer it over the Menehune Mambo (Hut) Room and the Polynesian Room. This room may not possess the wall-sized Polynesian mural, but it is everybit -- if not more -- tropical and loung-ey. And the bar is incredible, as well as incredibly long!

I actually have a postcard of both the Tahitian Room and the Polynesian Room, circa 1950s:

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2jhwxcsXLgg

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2005-07-10 17:01 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-30 9:44 pm   Permalink

We're definitely going ! Dogbytes, Tikiwahine, and Pepe le Tiki, hope to see you there, as well as other TC folks. Terence, that postcard of the Tahitian Room and Polynesian Room sounds great, please do post a photo. TikiHula has kindly supplied a place to upload TC photos to post... here's the link with more info :

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14544&forum=1&11

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2005-06-30 21:52 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-01 12:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Puamana. I tried uploading my images of the Tahitian Room and Polynesian Room (per the instructions), but the uploading time seemed endless. I have dial-up (and free dial-up, at that!) and I have no problem uploading images to eBay, but to other sites (like this one) the uploading time takes far, far too long. Oh, well. I gave it a shot. Perhaps I'll find another way...

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-01 3:11 pm   Permalink

Hey folks! I happened upon this photo of the Tahitian Twilight Lounge (definitely my favorite of the three rooms). The pictures on the back wall are the 'Leeteg' velvet paintings.
Terence, I hope you can get your postcard up too!
As you can see, it's a treasure, need I say more....

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 11:08 am   Permalink

Rumor has it that the Alberta Boys may be making a road trip to Vancouver. Details amongst Slacksferret, Sweettikidaddy, Tiki a mokinbird and my self are yet to be worked out. Hope to see you all there.
Any Vancity peeps got info on where to stay or should we all crash on the floor of Funhauser decor?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 2:37 pm   Permalink

Great news rodeo!
The
Blue Horizon is always a great place to stay,
and they often have deals on their web site.
If I see any I'll post them here.

I hope to see all you Alberta tiki folk in a few weeks!

Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 5:12 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more Hotel/B&B's that are reasonably priced:
The Jolly Alderman B&B
http://www3.telus.net/jollytaxpayer
The Victorian Hotel
http://www.victorian-hotel.com
The Sylvia Hotel
http://www.sylviahotel.com
The Buchan Hotel
http://www.buchanhotel.com
This site has alot of the independent hotels listed:
http://englishbay.com/lodging
Also check Expedia or http://www.hotels.ca for deals.

[ This Message was edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2005-07-07 17:13 ]

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-07 6:31 pm   Permalink

ack! too many choices! where are you guys staying?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 8:03 pm   Permalink

The Sylvia is great if you can get in. It's not fancy, it's an old residential hotel right across from English Bay. Rooms are large, especially the "type 08" rooms which are suite sized and have a seperate bedroom with another bed (making for three double beds). (Some of the other rooms may have this setup as well, just not the large main room.) You have to ask for the "type 08". It's been several years since I was there, so maybe things have changed.

Pay for parking, the area is packed with apartments and hotels so there's little street parking. And just about everyone I know who has been to Vancouver has had there car broken into or stripped at one time. (Including my stuff from a locked trunk in a friend's car...They bent the back seat down and pulled stuff through the frame from the trunk.). Be cautious. The police are pretty understanding of the thieves, signs in Stanley Park read "...Car Thieves Work Here..." WORK! See, it's there job, so what yah gonna do?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation