Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Shaker Alternatives
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Shaker Alternatives
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-08 12:45, Humuhumu wrote:
By all means, if you a) are strong enough to open metal shakers with no problem, or b) own one that for whatever magical reason doesn't stick, more power to you, and keep doing what you're doing.

For me, the most gorgeous, perfect shaker doesn't do me one whit of good if I can't get my drink out of it.

Humu, I must admit that I do like your plastic bottle for a shaker, it looks cool and would make much less of a mess.

When I start 'tending in my carpeted living room I will definitely try one of these, else I'll have one heck of a soggy mess on my hands!

Mahalo for the suggestion, much appreciated

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 4:26 pm   Permalink

2 cents from a newbie:

we bought a fancy metal shaker from a bar/ restaurant supplier, for the simple reason that it looked like it would do a better job than the fancy designer ones we found at the interior-design store. We lived in Jerusalem at the time and those are the only places where we found shakers that seemed somewhat decent. Plus, the one we got was cheaper than the designer-brand one.

When there's a problem opening the lid, we take off the cap and release the pressure and everything's fine.

K.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
c10
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-16 06:11 am   Permalink

I have an old aluminum shaker, from the 1934 'Century of Progress'. It has a bunch of recipes on the side, without all the fancy stuff you kids are drinking nowadays. Most call for gin, 'whisky', or rye. I will scan or post them if anyone is interested.

View Profile of c10 Send a personal message to c10  Email c10 Goto the website of c10     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-07-16 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-16 19:17, rummaker wrote:
At least you can use an authentic Hawaiian rum, to make the trouble of using the shaker worthwhile; improve your tiki drinks with the best rum on the planet

Unfortunately your SPAM ADS leave a bad taste in my mouth.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 9:02 pm   Permalink

Hey there -

Some worthwhile talk about shakers is happening here, but seeing as how this is a thread about shaker alternatives, it's kinda muddying the waters.

Traditional shakers *definitely* deserve at least one thread of their own, probably a few, so I've started one for you guys to talk about shakers and post pictures & tips and what have you:

All the Cool Kids use Shakers

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-17 10:03 am   Permalink

Last night I became aware of the professional way to unstick a frozen-stuck cocktail shaker.

I was mixing drinks at a party and my bar-mate happened to be a professional bartender. My cocktail shaker had become frozen entirely shut and I could not open it to save my life, much less make the next drink.

My bar-mate simply took the shaker firmly in hand and went to the wooden fence (we were in a backyard) and whacked the shaker against one of the fence's 2x4s. A good solid whack.

Came right apart! And no harm to the shaker.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-02 8:06 pm   Permalink

Satan's Sin <---------
Tiki Socialite |
|

Hmm!

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 8:52 pm   Permalink

Well, at least I'm glad my "Mark of the Beast" post was about something important!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation