FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Creating Tiki: July theme - Mysterious Island Pier
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Creating Tiki: July theme - Mysterious Island Pier
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-02 2:50 pm   Permalink

AVAST ye creators of all things tiki!!! [waves sword]

The theme and this thread for July is:
"Mysterious Island Pier" - (gretanicole's winning idea on her poll)

This is a monthly theme for those who wish to participate. We keep it simple, friendly, themed- it's not a competition- it's simply to advance our tiki creation skills. Any and all are welcome aboard, as is your medium of choice... A drunken sketch on a cocktail napkin to that of a carved masterpiece- or both in the same!!

If ye wishes to join in, please respect the code.

THE CODE
- Post your final work here for July's topic by July 31, 2005. (800 x 800 pixels wide/tall max.)
- Include a description or thoughts why you created it and how it relates to you for the topic.
- Creativity is to be encouraged. Pieces do not have to be more than concepts, and can loosely be related to the theme. They don't even have to be completely finished.
- This is not a contest. It's simply for fun.

Responding to the artwork created in this thread is fine- if you wish to respond to this announcement in general/add theme comments and ideas, please post it
here to keep this thread focused on the July entries.

Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

The Lost Resort

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-15 10:07 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-03 5:40 pm   Permalink

I'm game for a challenge. Besides out on the plank is the best view any way.

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 01:48 am   Permalink

Mysterious Island Pier

The lively wind propelled the boat quietly through the night. The warm tropical air carried the sweet salty aroma of the ocean. Patches of stars shone through the cloudy sky here and there, allowing a little moonlight to dance across the inky black wave tops. As she made her headway, the boat was gently rocked by the swell.

I leaned upon the starboard gunwale, clasping my mug of rum. The mysterious looking island was sliding by, foreboding in the darkness. The sound of waves crashing on the beach was carried by the wind. My maritime maps were considerably dated, and this island was not shown.

It was a small island, with a low peak silhouetted against the dark sky. A lone pier extended from the beach out towards the sea. A small fire burned upon this beach, sending a thin tendril of smoke skywards. At the edge of the area illuminated by the fire, I could just make out the bottom of a large carved stone idol. There were people here, but they were not within sight. Who were they? Why were they hiding? Did they know I was there? I sighed as I weighed up these questions in my head.

I returned to the cabin, and poured myself another rum from the old ceramic decanter. The questions would have to remain unanswered. The island would soon be slipping into the darkness behind me, and I was behind schedule. There were people waiting who would have a great interest in some of my new acquisitions.

---------------------------------------------------------
Whoops - didn't follow the code.

When the topic was announced, this was the mental picture I conjured up. Didn't go for too dark and creepy, but just a little. I also wanted to leave it nice and open for folks to fill in the blanks themselves (being a mysterious island and all that). I aim to get people to imagine what is going on. I want to get them to engage with the story. A good example is I tried to use general terms so that the era was not given away. 300 years ago or 3 days ago? - what do you like to think?

Why a written piece? Well, it said "medium of choice" and "creativity is to be encouraged" haha

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2005-07-08 05:32 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 11:02 am   Permalink

"The code is more of a guide, really..."

Great vision there, Hewey! Very inspiring to the theme. [Raises mug o' grog]

Can't wait to see what everyone contributes this month. I've got a digital image coming- about half way through...

Keep 'em coming!

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-08 11:04 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 2:31 pm   Permalink

Hummmmm Maybe Ill sketch something... Nah in 30 days i can build a whole pier!

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
*Fourcrows*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-08 5:30 pm   Permalink

How is this going to be any good for the carvers? ....

View Profile of *Fourcrows* Send a personal message to *Fourcrows*  Email *Fourcrows* Goto the website of *Fourcrows*     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 5:33 pm   Permalink

Try not to post replys in this thread, i think the idea is to post your art. if you have comments post herehttp://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=15340&forum=7&start=0

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-09 4:43 pm   Permalink

Ok... I'll post my piece so far~

Still in progress...

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-09 18:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-09 20:38 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-09 11:03 pm   Permalink

Nice work captain!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 09:57 am   Permalink

[bump]

15 more days...

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 10:30 pm   Permalink

Capt'n, that's looking sweet. I noticed your scene has progressed, a pier has appeared, and your latest tiki has also made an appearance. So how did you create this scene? Always curious, and I'm sure this is way over my head... This stuff blows me away, much like Finkdaddy's renderings - mostly 'cause I don't know how you guys do it...

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 05:31 am   Permalink

Very Nice Capt. If you don't mind, I have a new desktop wallpaper.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 12:08 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Capt'n! I know how you feel about posting unfinished work.......I am debating whether to let this one out early or show an in progress! It's so tempting!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 10:21 am   Permalink

Thanks! I'm hoping to see a few more people's pieces start to trickle in this week...

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 2:45 pm   Permalink

That looks MYSTERIOUS! I like! Which program didja use?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation