FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Top ten most desirable tiki mugs?
Top ten most desirable tiki mugs?
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 09:27 am   Permalink

Although I love to collect the mugs, I am not as knowledgeable as many of you when it comes to identifying them, or knowing what's hot and what's not. In my mind, the ones I think are cool are hot, and the ones I don't find as aesthetically pleasing, are not...

However, I still think it's worthwhile to know what you all would consider yoour top ten most desirable mugs, and why!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 10:45 am   Permalink

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-01 10:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 23:09 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 11:05 am   Permalink

This is a hard list to have to come up with, so most of mine is a list of categories, rather than individual mugs:

1. mugs with restaurant or bar names on them
2. mugs marked that commemorate an event
3. mugs with nicely hand-painted detail
4. mugs with lids
5. clam shell bowls
6. bowls with Tiki feet
7. mugs marked "Tiki Bob's"
8. mugs from "The Tikis"
9. mugs with hula girls
10.my Tiki Central Shecky mug!

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 11:43 am   Permalink

I will throw out a few others for consideration:

Islander (L.A.) Coffee Grog, Tiki Bob, Luau 400, Mauna Loa, Ren Clark Hula Girl, Skipper Kent, Hawaiian Room (NYC), and Don Beachcomber, MY Mai-Kai Sepik/PNG drum mug!.

I'd offer that there are tiers or "levels" of desired mugs. Ordinal ranking would be difficult, but one can easily see certain mugs in the top tier, some a bit less rare in the next...so on. Of course, whatever one wants next is always the most desired!

And of course, what I have for sale in the next Midnite Tiki Mug Blow-Out Spectacular Funfest!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

I'd love to see wee pics of some of these in a post... is that too much to ask? Anyone got a lot of spare time on their hands?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 5:36 pm   Permalink

Links to the gallery pics would be cool...

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 6:44 pm   Permalink

My favorite mugs are the ones from Ren Clarks Polynesian Village. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of these mugs. Here are some of my other favorites in no particular order. I only have two of these mugs.

The "Blue Eye" and "The Bird of Paradise" from Steven Crane. He made some cool mugs

The "Idols Cast" and the "Mystery Drink" from the Kahiki

These are from the Islander. "The Maori" and the "Andress Bumatay"

From the Hawaii Kai in New York. One of my favorites

Johny Quongs Utah

Hawaiian Room, New York

Kelbos "The Smiley" LA.

The Mauna Loa in Detroit.

From the collection of Trader Pup "The Zombie Village" San Francisco

Trader Vic's Suffering Bastards.

What did I forget?.

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-01 9:46 pm   Permalink

*picks jaw up off floor* WOW those are some killer mugs, I havent seen half of those! Sweetness

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 05:42 am   Permalink

Thank you so much for posting those pics, that is fantastic! The Bird of Paradise is truly hypnotic. Was it only from one particular Steve Crane bar, ore were they in the chains?

midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 12:26 pm   Permalink

The "Crane" mugs were used in the Kon-Tiki locations as well as The Luau. Least that is what I understand...belive Sven relates as much in BOT as well.

The "Bird of Paradise" is turned away on my shelf, to avoid direct eye-to-eye contact. The "Freaky Chicken" as I call it is just too damn freaky. Scares you if you look too long. That bird is ip-no-tyzin'!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation