FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Ku smiles upon me...(or the mother ship has landed)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ku smiles upon me...(or the mother ship has landed)
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-07 3:12 pm   Permalink

I hit the mother load!

Last week I was coming home and noticed that that there had been a bit of "earth moving" next to the water tower in my neighborhood. I investigated and found 3 huge pines had been cut. So I called my buddy down the street (you know the one with the truck!)we loaded them up and now I have about 15 logs ranging from 6 to 9 feet each. i know this is might sound stupid but I'm stoked! In fact I already carved a nine footer (my biggest yet):

this behemoth is so friggin tall I can barely move it, much less get the entire thing to fit in a photo

I'll post more pics as soon as I carve more...

woo hoo!

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

View Profile of hypnotiki Send a personal message to hypnotiki  Email hypnotiki Goto the website of hypnotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-07 3:43 pm   Permalink

nice work love it!

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 4:19 pm   Permalink

really like the carve. How do you handle the weight? More more more.....

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 6:35 pm   Permalink

What a find to stumble upon and then to have the availability of a truck close by, WOW. Then you turn around and carve these dynimite tikis, way to go.. You Must be Stttookkkedd fer shur..Onn some of those tikis try to put a TALL Deaddress on a few, see how they will be loved.
Those wern't logs, Those were TIKI Gifts. The tikis expect you to put in some extra care and love when you carve those polesGive them love back.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 6:46 pm   Permalink

Great job. You should be stoked!

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 9:25 pm   Permalink

Congrats on the great find and the monster tikis! Great work too.

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-08 04:39 am   Permalink

thanks for the input...as far as the weight is concerned I had to get help loading them for transport but as far as at home I just roll them around. It's a bit hard to stand them up but where there's a will there's a way (and a thrown back)

Benzart- Deaddress? I assume you mean a design on the forehead area above the face... I've seen some pretty cool designs placed there(a rising sun, and I bought one at oasis 3 with a pineapple in that spot). I definitely should try that out- thanks for the advice...

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

View Profile of hypnotiki Send a personal message to hypnotiki  Email hypnotiki Goto the website of hypnotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 11:17 am   Permalink

I think he meant headrest...

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 12:20 pm   Permalink

I know what it is like to find a big wood score.
Your mouth waters , hands shake and you get a million ideas at once as to what to carve.

Congrats on the nice score.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 3:17 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Deaddress, you know the headdress the dead tiki wears?
OK, I did mean Headdress, my bad about spellchecking or proofreaddimg.
Any more carvings yet?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-09 06:04 am   Permalink

actually i'm on the cusp of finishing two more right now- i've got a 7 foot moai based on a design in the Kahiki section of "The Book". And I'm doing a replica of the one you see above for my friend's pool (which already has the exotic setting with 2 huge palms several banana trees, hibiscus, and a cool rock fountain.) It irritates me every time I swim there because everything is perfect but there are no tikis! So I'm donating to the cause. One tiki at a time we'll turn this world back to what it should be! BTW, what's on you're carving table right now?

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-02 08:35 am   Permalink

Hey people - here are some new pics from the motherload, I wasn't planning on posting these yet as they are not quite done but some guy from the Houston Press (a local rag)called me yesterday for a quick telephone interview about what is and what is not tiki. He needed a new pic- so we took some and I figured, hell might as well put these up on TC.

Here's a 10 footer (my biggest yet). As you can tell it needs some detail work. The headdress isn't complete and it needs a good sanding. The pecs need work and the necklace isn't done either. This is the 1st time i've tried doing a torso, legs, and feet. It was pretty scary doing that on something so big-I was worried I'd totally screw it up but I'm somewhat content with it so far...

here's a moai -7ft

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

YOW!! That Moai is AWSOME! How do you remove that much wood and retain that nice shape without it taking forever?? (Maybe it DID take forever??)

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-02 12:50 pm   Permalink

thanks- the moai DID take forever- somewhat of a painful endeavor... I thought I'd never be done with it!

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 1:04 pm   Permalink

cool maoi. It looks like a round log at the bottom and a flat board at the top. The chin looks like a mighty deep cut. Which one does your friend get and is the local paper going to put you in it.?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation