FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki My dad is a part of tiki history!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My dad is a part of tiki history!
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 10:09 am   Permalink

Well, a *very* minor part anyway. But funny how these things come around.

I've always joked around how the my dad could be one of those old Cantonese waiters at the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's. They are about the same age, same, slight build, and their English sounds like they came to the US around the 50's or so.

Anyway, my dad gave me a ride to work since I had to go to the airport after work, so I asked him if he can figure out how to get out of Torrance (Southern California for those of you not familiar). He said, "Yeah, I'm familiar with Torrance, I used to work at a restaurant there.... Latitude 20 or something". I was like, "uh, wasn't that a tiki restaurant?" He said, "Yeah, they used to do a hundred luaus a night". Holy crap!!

Apparently, my dad's uncle, Hop Louie, was a big restauranteur at the time. Some of the restaurant he owned at one time or another was Latitude 20 in Torrance, Tradewinds in Oxnard, and Hop Louie's Jade Pagoda in Chinatown (it's one of those landmark structures in LA's Chinatown). My dad was a fledgling accountant at the time, and he would help out on the weekends as a waiter or something. Growing up, I always heard about great-uncle Hop Louie in hushed, venerated terms.

I asked him, "So, I don't suppose you kept any souvenirs from those old days, you know: menus, matchbooks, mugs..." "No, those were tough times, no one thought of collecting anything! I might still have that the old waiter's uniform, though, I looked pretty sharp in it", he said with a sly grin.

LOL! I'm amused by the fact that I didn't know he worked in old tiki restaurants, and he didn't know I collect tiki paraphernalia! Well, I thought I'd share this with you guys.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 10:16 am   Permalink

That's really interesting!I wonder what else your Dad could tell you about himself-he's probably got some fun restaurant stories.You should draw him out about it.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-08 10:20 am   Permalink

DANG- That Hop Louie sure got around. he was also had restaurants in Modesto , Stockton and Vegas!! Check out this Vegas thread about Lat 20;
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15398&forum=1
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 10:51 am   Permalink

Quoted from post on http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15398&forum=1&start=0

"Just got the whole story from my mother re: Latitude 20. There was an original Lat.20 in Torrance. Hop Luie Woo, owner, then moved to Vegas and wanted to have one there. My father did many Restaurants for Hop Luie, in Vegas, Florida, and over seas. He carved all the Tikis at all the Restaurants, and ones at Hop Louies house, etc. When Hop Luie died Minnie Woo, his wife, changed the name to Madam Woos, and changed the whole flare of the Restaurant. She called my father who went up with a moving truck and got tons of stuff out of the interior. ie: Old carved ships wheels etc. She wanted to keep the Tikis. There is a Restaurant in LA that was Hop Louies also, named after him, "Hop Louies". It passed on tho the nephew who I have now left a message for to see if we can't track down who owns the property. Hop Louie was all a Senior V.P. at Caesars Palace for Foreign Relations. He would go to Hong Kong, China, etc. and bring in big wigs from over there to gamble! He was also V.P. of ALL the Treasure Islands all over Biscain Bay, etc. So there is a little history on all the Latitude 20's...."

and

"Want to thank all for help on recovering the Tikis at the Old Lat. 20. Thank you Mr. Smiley for the phone call. I actually tracked down Hop Louie's (the old owner who my dad carved all the Tikis for) daughter. She put me in touch with a Mr Hamato who owned the property..."

Oh my God. I had chills running down my spine when I read these post about my own relatives. When I was first reading it, I was thinking, "No, it can't be. I don't know about Hop Louie opening up any restaurants called Latitude 20 in Vegas, it's probably just the same name." Until I read Annie's post about him working for Ceasar's. Yes, I do know that Great Uncle Hop Louie did work for Caesar's Palace (I didn't know in what capacity). Annie also mentioned talking to Hop Louie's daughter, was it possibly Eileen or Betty? I know that Auntie Eileen worked in Chinatown.

Trippy!

[ This Message was edited by: paranoid123 2005-07-08 12:52 ]

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 12:11 pm   Permalink

Oh my goodness! Wow, your great uncle is Hop Louie! This has been a great week for getting a glimpse at Polynesian Pop history. What a fun story!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 12:56 pm   Permalink

Paradnoid, this has got to be exciting news being a tiki guy and all. You should what you can dig up in the family archives. Maybe some old photos???

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 2:15 pm   Permalink

this is too cool! in the next week or so, please look for my "manifesto" on the stockton islander. i have been learning ALL about hop louie and his gang for the past month. i will shed some light on his earlier days in the central valley (where all of the hop louie tiki maddness began). reading your post and the post on the latitude 20 in vegas has been really exciting and motivating! i cant believe the timing with all of the research i have been doing.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 2:25 pm   Permalink

Great story Paranoid.
Get a pic of your Dad in the uniform.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 2:29 pm   Permalink

Wow...this is an awesome post...I love how the story keeps unfolding.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 3:02 pm   Permalink

You can bet I'm going to start scouring old family photos now! Yeah, I was so caught up in the fact that my dad worked in a Tiki restaurant, that I didn't come to the full realization that my great uncle actually owned several restaurant and seems to be a significant figure in Tiki history. And to find all this out on Tiki Central, too!

Tikicleen, I can't wait to see your manifesto. Funny thing that you said "Hop Louie and his gang" because I had emailed the links to this thread to one of my non-TC friends, her reply was, "was Hop Louie a gangster?" because his Las Vegas ties at that time. I'm seriously going to ask my dad. :)

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 3:46 pm   Permalink

This is great stuff and really what Tiki Central is all about. Get stuck in and find out all you can. An amazing story is emerging.....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 5:42 pm   Permalink

This cool stuff ! Please keep us posted. Thanks!

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-09 05:54 am   Permalink

This is perhaps one of the coolest threads I have ever read here. I have chills too. This could be one kick-ass movie! Coming to an Indie-flick theatre near you!:D

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-09 8:03 pm   Permalink

Full circle... Love it! Dig up some old photos if you can.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 08:55 am   Permalink

wow! I've been away from the board for quite some time. Just starting to catch up. What excellant news! I'm going to keep watching this post for sure! How exciting

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation