FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki My dad is a part of tiki history!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
My dad is a part of tiki history!
King Kukulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 6:23 pm   Permalink

I was surprised when I heard the name Hop Louie in the Latitude 20 thread, and I wondered if it was just a common name. Well I live in Echo Park, Ca. which is the neighborhood next to Chinatown in LA. I wandered into Hop Louies Jade Pagoda for lunch one day and I was stunned by the feeling that I had walked into a place that hadn't changed since the 40's. The outside of the Jade Pagoda is really cool and the going there gives me the feeling of being an insider with a cool secret hangout. The new wave of artists moving into Chinatown has led to the opening of a nice quiet bar on the first floor of the Jade Pagoda. I recommend you stop there for lunch sometime, its very reasonable. Perhaps Mr. Smiley will fly his private lear jet down to LA and treat us all to a Jade Pagoda feast. Hats of to Hop Louie the Hawaiian Hipster!

[ This Message was edited by: KING KUKULELE 2005-07-14 18:24 ]

View Profile of King Kukulele Send a personal message to King Kukulele  Email King Kukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 3:36 pm   Permalink

I found this mug at the Pasadena City College swap meet last week. I would have passed it up because I already have several coconut mugs, but I bought it because of this thread. It's really cool to know about the history of the old tiki bars, not just the more famous ones like Trader Vics. Keep up the good work doing Tiki archeology!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 4:10 pm   Permalink

Lucky you! Up until this point, I never really collected vintage mugs. My collection is either Shag mugs, or random new Tiki Farm that I just liked the design. I'm now hunting for anything from restaurants that Hop Louie used to own.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation