FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 6:34 pm   Permalink

oh beautiful work!
is it expensive to make mugs?? it would be fun to try

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 6:41 pm   Permalink

I don't know if you talked me into it or out of it. But it looks as hough you are really getting the hang of it. Sweet work .

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 05:36 am   Permalink

nice mugs Rum Demon....looks like a lotta work!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 7:30 pm   Permalink

Awesome job! Gotta say, love FRED! Would love to get me one. Fred was my grandfather's name. Look forward to seeing more.

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 8:08 pm   Permalink

cool mugs - each one a little different. I'm diggin' the multiple colors on #2, looks like a tiki wrestler! Grrrrr!

that fred one is great too. I like that design a lot.

Looks like hard work makin those mugs.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 2:26 pm   Permalink

Yes sir! I like the black with the red inside. That's sweet! I might have to start drinking again!!!......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 4:44 pm   Permalink

JUST RECEIVED RUM DEMON'S GREEN MUG AS A GIFT....IT WILL
HAVE A PLACE OF HONOR IN THE EVER-CROWDING TIKI LOUNGE....
THANKS A LOT R-D....THE MUGS LOOK SUPER IN PERSON!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 9:01 pm   Permalink

Loving #16!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 04:05 am   Permalink

Primo #3 and Fred #4 rock ! ! !

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 12:45 pm   Permalink

Awesome work... I've always wondered about making some myself, but I wonder how much it cost you to set up for a run, then how much per mug?

Really good work, I'm very envious as all I can do is crappy little wood carvings on Basswood.

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 1:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the comments, folks. Just got back with my mugs from the re-glaze firing and everything came out nicely. Next step is getting all the high-fire mugs glazed and fired. You see, I'm splitting the bunch up between low (cone 06) and high (cone 6) fire slips. I'm not sure which I'll prefer, but it seems you can get better details out of low, due to less running. All the high fire mugs are going to be single color, but some of the more interesting glazes out there are high.

Anyway. As for the other nuts and bolts, the whole process isn't cheap when you figure in all the tools and what-not to get set up. Raw materials alone come to about $2 or $3 per mug, maybe less.

The real cost for a project like this is time. The process of creating each mug, not including the time sculpting the original or making the mold, comes out to about 1-2 hours each or more. It's really been a part time job for me since this last may. And only now am I starting to see the final results!

A new pain is that I'm going to be in LA all next month for work, so production will be at a halt. With any luck I'll be able to put the first five up on the EvilBay while I'm down there. My goal is to get the first one listed by november 1st. I'll let you all know.

Meanwhile, when I get back to Portland there will be five molds ready and waiting to resume production. There's also a bowl I'm still sculpting for snacks or cereal or whatever. That will be an unlimited run so anyone that wants one can eventually get one. That means making a master and multiple molds, which will be a whole new experience altogether.

I'll post again when I get some pictures of the finished high-fire gang.

long-windedly yours,
Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 2:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC!

Splitting my time between LA and Portland these days. Here's a quick peek at what's new in the Demon's garage:

High fire Primo and Fred...

And finally introducing....

"Pina Diablo!!"

That last mug is the product of my beloved wife KT. Bless her for showing me up in
nearly every capacity.

Now that I'm here and all excited, I just had to share the two newest mugs in production, still unfired and without proper names:

"Coco-nut"

More anthropomorphic edibles from KT! With and without machete'd rims!

"Alien Tiki"

My favorite non-KT design to date. Perhaps it's not terribly tiki, but the demons of rum are not confined to polynesia, NOR... the planet earth! DUN DUN DAAAH!!!
In any case, I still plan to fill it with rum and other tropical delights...

Well that's the latest. A website to keep track of them all is under construction. And VERY SOON I'll take the plunge and throw the first batch up on eBay.

thanks for lookin,
Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 3:01 pm   Permalink

You did a nice job on those mugs, they look great.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 3:02 pm   Permalink

Great looking mugs rum demon! I'd love one of your 'Primo' guys in blue, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on e-bay.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 3:09 pm   Permalink

In the middle row that Primo in green is very cool too.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation