FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
Red

Posted: 2006-04-03 5:33 pm   Permalink

Rum Demon, nice job on the mold.

The white pox marks on the inside of the mug are underfiring. I've had this happen a few times on molds where the piece was thick and I sent it out to get fired. If your shop is firing with a kiln tender, they tend to go under the correct temperature because the cone is closer to the heating elements and bends before the entire kiln has reached the proper temperature. Some people fire with an 07 cone if their goal is 06 because of this effect. If your shop has an electronic kiln, then maybe they're loading their kiln too full, or your pieces are near the center.

When working with stoneware (i.e., cone 6 versus lower-firing cone 06), you cannot stilt your pieces. You have to dry foot them. That means no glaze where they touch the kiln floor. If you've seen stoneware in restaurants or even at home, you will feel that the base is unglazed (feels rough). Any part of the bisque which is unglazed is unsafe for food, by the way, so your mugs with the pox are unuseable for food.

I am fascinated by what you've done so far. I've learned a lot about how the finishes look on the mugs by reading your thread and looking at the pics. Thanks for all of your great posts, they have helped me understand the ins and outs of what this is all about (being a first-timer it always helps).

View Profile of Red Send a personal message to Red      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-18 3:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC!!! I have missed you so!

Life is finally calming down after two months of working my arse off up and down the coast. What else to do with a calm life but get back to work in the studio?

I've started running mugs again. Primo was supposed to be done, but with the horrors recently pulled from the fire, I've decided to CHEAT. Yes, I'm running Primos and numbering them to replace some of the more egregious mutants. Is this a terrible thing? I'm unsure. The old mugs will become "gnomes" in my garden, never to be put on the market, most likely to be broken by neighborhood cats or overzealous hoe-ing. I dunno. Anyway, only the most unsalvageable mugs are being re-run, probably less than 10 (still 20% of the run... jeez, this thinking aloud is depressing me).

Fred and Pina are both within 10 mugs of being retired. Can't wait to smash up them molds. Speaking of molds, I left some broken plaster pieces on the back lawn all winter to see if they'd break down. Well, the result was an uncanny coral-like composition. Soooo the original Rum Demon molds will eventually live forever in a faux reef diorama! Awesome.

Almost ran out of coconuts to sell, so we may have to have a week or two without coco on the block. But since I'm the one pulling and cleaning coco right now, it means they'll have the "hacked" rim that I'm so fond of... Like the two on the lower left here....

Oh, also, there's a new addition to the family. Another angry fruit from the lovely KT! Meet... uh.... not sure she's named it yet.

It's a banana.
Very difficult to cast/build.
Will probably be limited to 25.
More to come.

New auctions start tomorrow night.

It's good to be back. Hope everyone is doing well.
-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-18 4:13 pm   Permalink

right on!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-18 4:40 pm   Permalink

That Bananna is GREAT! Whoo!

VanTiki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-18 6:44 pm   Permalink

Nice to see ya back,RD!

Bwana wanna b-a-n-a-n-a-s!!!

Flip-fl0p-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-18 7:38 pm   Permalink

Wow! Wicked banana!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-21 12:37 pm   Permalink

"Is that a mug on your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?" I'm glad you guys decided to not go with the "Ear of Corn" theme for this mug and instead went with Banana.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-21 1:25 pm   Permalink

Haha! Yes. It could totally be glazed up as an ear of corn! YARR!!!! Diablo Del Maiz!!! You could chug your favorite corn liquor from him, IF YOU DARE!

We'll have to be careful with any green skinned banana variation. ; )

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 10:57 pm   Permalink

Website update. The link in my signature is at this moment an accurate reflection of the Rum Demon enterprise.

More soon. Soo much more.

-Joe

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 03:51 am   Permalink

Awesome Awesome work there Demon. I love my Rum Demon Coconut mug. He gets compliments all the time @ McTiki's!!! Love the Banana!

Now for a set of Kiwi shot glasses... Rum Demon style lol.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-19 12:59 pm   Permalink

now that is an awsome banana! good job. looks real hard to make. keep it up

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-22 5:22 pm   Permalink

Just received #25 Pineapple ! We are stoked!

Thank you!

Keep em coming!

Mahalo!

Mc

[ This Message was edited by: McTiki 2006-07-27 15:51 ]

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-08 11:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Centralites! It has been a long and busy summer at the demon shack. Unfortunately, most of our busi-ness has been of a non-tiki mug related variety. Without too much new excitingness to announce, I miss you all so very much and cannot bear the silence any longer. It is with humble apologies that I provide this update from the bowels of the RD tiki mug empire...

The blessing of "day job work" leaves us so sad. Still, let me look around the room in which I sit... two, three, yes- four new mugs sculpted, and yet to be temporarily immortalized with mug-bearing molds. Three are from yours truly, and one sure-fire winner is from the brilliant mind of KT! I'm quite happy about my coming offerings, but Katie has outdone me again. Seriously, we have agreed to break our rule of "50 mugs per batch" and make hers a run of 100 because we love you and want more people to get them if possible. I've said too much....

I can't bear to show you anything until they are at least cast in plaster. I am a superstitious old cuss.

Sorry for the hyperbole.

By the way, I do not count the Banana de Diablo among the new offerings, of course. The yellow one has been among us for many months now, and is approaching albatrossian(?) status. This is a mug that requires all the patience of both parties involved.

It shall be very limited. Neither of us want to do more than 25. Currently we have four casts in the testing stage. I promise that at least one will look like a stalk of corn.

My big story these days are the horrors from the kiln. No more med-high fire mugs. Strange things happen at such incredible temperatures. Strange and wonderful things. Much of what happens results in deadly tiki mugs that would attack any drinkers with microscopic shards of glass!
Behold!!!

This is a terrible thing that I would NEVER release upon the ohana, therefore I regret to have to step away from such mighty volcanic powers for the time being and retire a good many Primos, Freds, and even a Xeno to garden gnome duty for all time.

I give you the damned...

Look at them all! So very many. So much work. SO much time invested. Alas, they have bubbles and crazy crap happening and I cannot in good conscience release them upon the public. It's really a heartbreaker. Some really nice colors and textures must put on the back burner until I can get a hanle on this thing called ceramics. All of these mugs shall be dutifully marked and relegated to garden duty as gnomic guards, talismans of protection (and hopefully fertility) with all due ceremony in the coming days. Of course their numbers are being recycled into their respective lineage in low-temp form to be made available to the public at large.

Let us avert our eyes from such tragedy. Come and look at some of the replacements for the valiant fallen ones, available soon at an eBay near you...

The IMPOSTERS! Dun dun DAAAA!!! Pretty cool, eh? Guess who, right?

Here's one I thought up, executed by the lovely and talented KT:

We sure do like our 'Trek...

Also, I give you "The Blancos", every Rum Demon must represent.

Additionally: a specially marked, non numbered Coco has been given to the Denver ohana for their 2006 Tiki Links event.

Note the orange and blue eyes. Go Denver!

I hope the late summer finds you all very well and in good spirits, the top shelf spirits.

-Joe

Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 08:32 am   Permalink

I just found this thread and thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole thing! I must say though, after looking at all those mugs, I really want a cocktail! Keep up the great work. How about trying angry lemon and lime shot glasses? Just an idea.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 09:29 am   Permalink

Angry lemon and lime shot glasses are very much on the list of to-do's. KT will handle that one of course. She has it all drawn up. They should be pretty good, thanks in part to some ideas put forward by another TCer. The time for these is definitely here, yours is at least the third call I've had for them. Thanks.
-Joe

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation