FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
NEW guest designed MUG!! (p7)!!
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 7:31 pm   Permalink

Couldn't hold back. I always jinx myself by showing stuff before it's ready to be released into the wild. Case in point, the farking glass float. It's a beauty, but damn if it isn't giving banana a run for it's money in the technicality department. Also, we've had terrible luck in the mold department above and beyond the fact that there are many pieces. One mold was made with a splash coat of a stronger plaster which proved tricky, giving us an inconsistent mug thickness. The 2nd mold was made with a "bad" batch of plaster and was far too fragile to use. So we're on attempt #3 to fabricate a mold that was a pain in the ass to make in the first place. Ugh. Anyway... on with the jinxing:

Now I've never been a fan of the tongue-hanging-out type tiki, but my original sketches of this guy had a little tongue up in his mouth. It didn't look right, so I made it bigger. And bigger. And bigger...

I'm calling him Edgar.

Edgar can taste what you've spilled.

The other guy that's been staring at me for a long while is this guy...

Ollie. Yes. That will be this one's name. He's a little bigger than a shot glass. The fez comes off and can be used a secondary vessel if you really want. YAY!!

Edgar's first three glaze tests/artist copies are in the kiln right now....
Ollie isn't quite as far along.

There will be 50 Edgars, and maaaaaybe 100 ollies.

Also, Katie's two new fruit mugs are getting really close to production. The new molds are ready for the pouring. More pictures of that stuff to follow.... I hope.

Meanwhile, a short stint of unemployment and finally having a kiln has made everything move along much faster than ever before. Our coffee table constantly looks like this:

Needless to say we haven't been entertaining much...

Work again draws us away from the ceramic monsters, but we'll try and keep things going. New mugs, new glazes, and the kiln (the novelety of having it on hand still hasn't worn off) should keep us interested for quite a while.

Yay!!

Thanks for looking!
-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 11:02 am   Permalink

I love Ollie! The new mugs are super - and congratulations on the kiln acquisition! What kind/size did you get? Are you happy with it? Love the photo of the living room table - reminds me of our kitchen when Ms. VanTiki offers to help out in the glaze department. Can't wait to see the new mugs fired up and glazed!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 5:48 pm   Permalink

Wow, great thread. Equal parts inspiring and horrific

LOVE the float mug and Ollie and the bannana and.... Threads like this make me wish I had more money. I had an idea for a float mug Decemberish, looking at your mug its a good idea. I love how the fez is a seperate drinking vessel too.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 09:09 am   Permalink

Shazam! Thought I'd bump the thread up and give youz all a peek at the goods promised and not delivered in my marketplace thread.

What else?! Lemons and Limes of course!! Or as KT so cleverly dubs them:

Lem N Lime!!!

Yep, that's the litter so far. The lemons in the back had runny eyes that made KT cry, so we are scrambling to make their replacements. Meanwhile, the runny bunch are getting their numbers sharpied over with the names of beloved friends for immediate adoption.

"Here's a present for you, Matt! It's one of our mugs that was too fugged up to sell! Yeah, it's basically garbage! Happy spring!"

Nah, they're still pretty cute. Especially when you find a fez that fits them.

So we're making 100 of each and selling them in pairs. Every tenth pair will have the colors reversed (lime is lem, lem is lime), and we'll probably throw a fez or two in there every now and again. Big fun, hopefully starting next friday, but don't hold your breath.

Special thanks to Travellin Jones for his brilliant and timely "slice mouth" design. The first two pairs are yours, bub!

Thanks for lookin,
Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-29 6:31 pm   Permalink

AaaaaW SHUCKS!

Dim'Sum sweeet -N- sooour kidz, Lem & Lime...

Chokest Mahaloz on your kindness and ALoooHA!

Tooooty FruuuiTy!...Tooooty Fruuuity!...a-whop-babaloo-bop-a-whop-bam-boom!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 6:59 pm   Permalink

oh MAN!

The Lemons and Limes are perfect! I LOVE the slice detailing and "skin" (?) texturing. Is Ollie out of the kiln yet? I see his Fez....

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-29 18:31, TravelingJones wrote:
AaaaaW SHUCKS!

Dim'Sum sweeet -N- sooour kidz, Lem & Lime...

Chokest Mahaloz on your kindness and ALoooHA!

Tooooty FruuuiTy!...Tooooty Fruuuity!...a-whop-babaloo-bop-a-whop-bam-boom!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Jonesy make me a laugh teehee..... Nice work limey...HiphiPaHuLA

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 09:50 am   Permalink

Look y'all!

Two new mugs from da brainz o' KT!!

It's a SKULL bowl!!!

And Piiiiiirate treasure maps THAT YOU CAN DRINK OUT OF!!!

We should start throwing these into our evilBay rotation soon.

Also, another great mug was sculpted by my friend Mike. We've molded it and have started casting. I'll throw a peek up here as soon as we get one glaze fired.

Yaaay!
-Joe

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 11:05 am   Permalink

That Pirate Map mug is sweeeet!! Brilliant, in fact..

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 11:22 am   Permalink

Wow! The way you've done the skull mug is really clever! I love the way you flip it over to use it. Great work as always! Have you finished an Ollie? Or am I a silly fellow who missed a post and photo in the marketplace thread?

Henrik "VanTiki"

Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 9:39 pm   Permalink

Ollie - wow, what a beautiful and powerful desing! Can't wait to see what colors it will be!
Bravo!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 11:29 pm   Permalink

wow. Nice work yet again. Love the skull and the map. Looks like more ebay bidding for me!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 7:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys! Glad you like our stuff. Also I'm surprised to see the rise in interest in Ollie. You guys just missed one last week. Along with my crashed hard drive went all my pictures of Ollie (sniff).

I'm terrible about updating that there website (is it still standing??) so how the heck is the casual collector to really keep track of the Rum Demon stock? Seriously though, all I even know anymore is numbers: which #s I've sold, what # to put on this new pull I'm cleaning, etc.

All I can say is that you should keep an eye on the marketplace thread. That will show you what's available RIGHT NOW. Meanwhile, I'll try and put up some pics on this here thread to give you an idea of what's to come.

WORD!!!
-Joe

Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 6:38 pm   Permalink

Hello? Good lord it's been a while since I've posted anything ANYWHERE on tiki central. Sure, I've lurked around every now and then to see how everyone is doing, but... I've missed this place.

We've been busy in life (who hasn't), but still manage to sneak into the studio and work every now and then. Katie in particular has been knocking them out left and right. Thanks to these efforts we've managed to keep our "3 mugs on ebay at all times" promise. But with limited runs, it's imperative to keep injecting new designs into the formula.

For a good while now we've been trying to enlist our friends to create their own Rum Demons. Most of them seem pretty interested, but nothing has materialized, until now. Without further ado, I give you the newest addition to the Rum Demon family: Mike Wellin's KING MUSHOOKA, the cargo cultist!!

"This sculpture is of King Mushooka, the most revered Kings of the Koopa Ki tribe. The Koopa Ki tribe was one of the fiercest tribes of headhunters to inhabit the countless unnamed islands of the South Pacific. The Koopa Ki were one of a few primitive tribes to exhibit traits of what is referred to as a cargo cult which dates back to the early 1800s. Cargo cults are any primitive people who have had no contact with modern societies. When these tribes encounter modern people they ultimately assume that the encounter is a mystical and godly visitation. Usually, these visitations were brief which added to the mystery of the experience. Often allied forces would stop to get water, meet up with refueling vehicles or perhaps dump unused or exhausted equipment." -MW

"These tribes, still rooted in the Stone Age, assume that these advanced technologies, like canned food, lighters, radios, and flashlights were mystical and ultimately worshipped them as sacred objects as well as revering their deliverers as Gods. The Koopa Ki had a brief encounter with US troops in WWII. Military personnel in the South Pacific were combing every island looking for enemy bases and installations, strategic locations or strategic materials for the war effort." -MW

"The most famous cargo cult story included a tiny island in New Guinea. A military plane landed briefly to make repairs. Repairs were made, tribespeople met the soldiers, traded some items before the plane quickly flew off. The natives, so impressed with this visitation, and seeing other planes flying over from time to time, built their own airplane out of natural materials. The idea wasn’t for their plane to actually fly, but in their limited understanding of planes and confusing them with birds, instead set up their plane in hopes that other planes would see their “decoy” and come down to visit again." -MW

Mike Wellins 43, is an artist, filmmaker and commercial director living in Portland, Oregon. His art has been seen at the MET, in NYC, and other various shows and galleries over the years. Wellins was also the curator and contributed to a gallery show of sculpture and art entitled the “The Museum of Unnatural History.” Wellins has made over 100 films both animated and live action, including three feature projects. He also published a text book on animation as well. Wellins work can be seen at Freakybuttrue.com

YAY MIKE!!

This is a fairly labor intensive design, as you might imagine. So we're keeping the run to 30. Some monochromatic, some fully colored. Keep your eye on ebay over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking! And many thanks to Mike for participating in the Rum Demon adoption program!
-Joe

tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 8:14 pm   Permalink

The Lemon Head ROCKSSSS are those for sale .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation