[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Spain
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Spain
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 3:56 pm   Permalink

I leave for Spain in 6 days. I can't wait to see the Tiki Bars in Barcelona. Does anyone know of anything Tiki in Cadiz area or even Morrocco?

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-08 5:10 pm   Permalink

Spain as a whole represents (perhaps) the last untapped Tiki goldmine. TikiChris & I spent many months checking out uncharted Tiki territory in Europe a few years ago and Spain suddenly came out of nowhere to reveal itself as TikiCentral - Europe. Sven's work has expanded on this dramatically, but there are still big holes.

Check these places out and report back please. There really aren't that many of us over in Europe who want to document Tiki bars.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 11:09 am   Permalink

We ended a cruise in Barcelona and spent a few days exploring. I can highly recommend the Kahiki and Kahala. The Kahiki was willing to sell most of thier mugs, so if you are on a collecting expidition, start there! And, it is right off a subway stop so it is easy to get to and from.

The Kahala was much more beautiful on the inside, but they wouldn't sell mugs. The only thing wrong with this place is the huge TV on one wall. This wouldn't have been a problem except the big game was on and that was all anyone in town was interested in.

We couldn't find the Aloha and we have heard it is the best. I feel I have to warn you (and anyone reading) that street numbers are not necessarily consecutive.

We didn't get a chance to go anywhere else in Spain, so we are really looking forward to you sharing what you find!

Some other pictures we got from the bars:
http://www.ealoli.com/photos/index.php?cat=8

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2005-10-18 16:59 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-10 12:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
We couldn't find the Aloha and we have heard it is the best.

Not at all. Of all three I liked it least. The decor was the least impressive and the drinks were vile - completely undrinkable.

My favorite was the Kahala for decor, drinks, and service. Luckily the TV was not turned on the times we were there (3 different nights). The TV is located in the front room so you can get away from it in one of the areas in the back of the bar. It is pretty far out from the center of town.

The Kahiki was my 2nd. favorite. We bought a few mugs there as well. It is also the closest bar to the center of town (near the plaza at the top of the Rambla). The drinks are so-so.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-07-10 12:07 pm   Permalink

TikiTrevor - You asked about Cadiz, well here is a place to stay in Cadiz that's tropical with tikis on site that someone posted in the Locating Tiki Forum. It looks pretty good - I hope you can take pics and share them with us if you stay there.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15123&forum=2&1

I did a search for "Cadiz" in the great new super-fast search feature!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikinoobie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-10 12:45 pm   Permalink

yes, please take photos and share them. It'd be great to learn about this and know more. Have fun!

View Profile of tikinoobie Send a personal message to tikinoobie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 11:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for everyones feedback. I can't wait to go. Luckily the Hostel I am staying at in Barcelona is within 2 miles of all 3 Tiki Bars. I am bringing an extra suitcase with me to hopefully fill-up with Tiki Mugs! I am bringing my digital camera to document everything, so I will post pics when I return.

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-11 11:32 am   Permalink

hey Trevor ~ don't forget to fill your empty suitcase with bubblewrap and some tape!

also, did you remember to check Critiki?

have tons-s-fun, take plenty pics!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 1:54 pm   Permalink

Trevor,

I'd try to carry on as many mugs as you can. You can get away with a couple of good size shopping bags on most airlines in my experience. Good luck and take lots of pics!!

Matty

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 4:09 pm   Permalink

I am for sure carrying on the mugs with me. I have a large backpack that is large enough to hold a lot of mugs but small enough to carry on. I used the same bag when I went to Japan last December and all my mugs made it home safe!

Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:09 am   Permalink

I totally disagree about the Aloha. I thought it was by far the least scuzzy and best decorated of the bunch. The staff was a lot friendlier as well.

Check out this old post

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7659&forum=1#75576

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 02:47 am   Permalink

Yeah, I really liked the Aloha. A really cool bar and very friendly barmen, though it was a quiet night and I was able to sit down and chat with them. The Kahiki was the one I liked the least, but it's still certainly worth visiting.

Locating the Aloha has proved a bit of a nightmare in the past, so it may be worth heading there by cab. Streets are longer than they look on the street map too!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-07-13 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-13 02:47, Trader Woody wrote:
Locating the Aloha has proved a bit of a nightmare in the past, so it may be worth heading there by cab. Streets are longer than they look on the street map too!

Trader Woody

We took a cab to the Kahala, got drunk, and walked all the way to the Aloha, then all the way to the Kahiki, and back to our hotel in the Gothic Quarter. It was almost light when we arrived home!

TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 11:20 am   Permalink

Ok I just got back from Spain and had an AWESOME time. I was only able to visit the Aloha and Kahiki in Barcelona. I will be posting some of my pics of these places in the "Locating Tiki" section for each location. Here are a few teaser pic's.

The Aloha

The Kahiki:

The Mugs I bought:

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 11:13 am   Permalink

Just got back from working in Spain, and of course, I did some poking around for fun too.

Working on an extensive report, but here's the short version:

In Barcelona...

Aloha:
Grumpy service, shittiest drinks ever, but I liked the dark, labyrinthine design of the place, the turtle pond, the murals... great decor.

Kahiki:
Friendly Service, decent drinks, decent decor.
Overall, firmly in the middle of the three.

Kahala:
Awesome drinks, awesome service, very nice decor.
Definitely the winner of the three.
Went back a few times, incluing New Year's Eve.

in Lloret Del Mar...

Hula Hula:
Only open on weekends, and is impossible to find.
Great looking place, but I couldn't stay for a drink.

in Callella...

Maui:
Was closed for the season when I went.
Sign and Tiki statue in front looked cool.

Kauai:
Decor is more like the inside of an Aztec temple than Tiki but I liked it. Friendly staff. Giant log drum Tikis out front.

Waikiki:
Greasy spoon diner. No Tiki.

and...

Port Aventura
This is an amusement park with five sections, each themed to a different place: Polynesia, China, Wild West, Mediteranean, Mexico.

In Polynesia, there are Tikis EVERYWHERE, and even Tiki themed rides, such as the puke-inducing Kon Tiki. Yes, the park is for kids, and is pretty cheezy, but it is also pretty Tikirific.

Most of these places had the same selection of Tiki mugs, with a few variations.

Overall, I counted at least 33 different mug designs.

Most of these places still match each mug to a drink and serve the drinks in the mugs. But different places will put different drinks in the same style mugs.

Can't think of anywhere in the USA that still does this quite as religiously as ALL of the places in Spain do. Awesome.

Also hit Boadas off of the Rambla: AMAZING (non-Tiki) cocktail bar.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation