FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving 3D Tiki....finally!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
3D Tiki....finally!
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 1:59 pm   Permalink

I finally did something I've been meaning to do for ages: build a tiki using a 3D modeling program and actually contribute something to "Creating Tiki" other than "awesome painting/carving/mug, dude!". I'm gradually putting together a large, digital tropical/tiki mural image for use in our soon-to-arrive son's room, and I figured the requisite tiki(s) would be a good place to start.

I've made a couple really simple, texture-mapped-only tikis before for the last game I worked on, but nothing this detailed. I thought about which tiki I wanted to reproduce and busted out the Tiki Art Now book. It hit me when I saw Ken Pleasant's awesome KuKu carving, which I saw at the TAN show and absolutely loved.

So, with apologies to Ken, here's my 3D KuKu (with in-progress wireframes for those of us geeks who like those sort of things):

Techie stuff: Created on PC with 3D StudioMax r.5. Basic shape subdivision modeled in polys and editmesh; Meshsmoothed the sub-D mesh, applied procedural wood texture.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:03 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Bot,

Awesome painting/carving/mug, dude!

Seriously, nice job! Very cool. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:12 pm   Permalink

Ooooohhh... Wireframes! [drools]

Great modelling- I like the lighting, too. Well done.

Now make him talk.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:32 pm   Permalink

and shoot laser beams out of his eyes...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:32 pm   Permalink

That is bad to the bone.
What's the application equivelant for mac, any clues?
(like I really got time to learn another app!!!)

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Riptide
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:44 pm   Permalink

Tiki-bot, that looks so cool. I hope you keep working on the 3-D rendering and create a whole landscape of tikis. That would be a bitchen print to frame.

View Profile of Riptide Send a personal message to Riptide  Email Riptide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:57 pm   Permalink

Nice. You might coulda just said "Looky this thing I carved!" and I'd be all like, "Sweet!"

Well done. I agree that you should eventually make prints. Tangibility adds value.

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-10 14:32, surfintiki wrote:
That is bad to the bone.
What's the application equivelant for mac, any clues?
(like I really got time to learn another app!!!)

I'm not up on the latest Mac 3D software, but Form-Z was pretty popular a few years ago. It was even used to model some of the spacecraft models ILM created for the "Special Edition" versions of Star Wars a few years ago.

Take a look at the forums on CGTalk.com. There's a sticky thread about "which 3d application should I use?" that probably has a ton of info and semi-informed discussions about which app is better.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 3:12 pm   Permalink

WOW, I so wish I knew how to do that.

Very cool . Your little one will have the best room ever!!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 5:22 pm   Permalink

Awesome Bot! Great modeling and rendering! BTW, you can get Maya for the Mac....I did this crude one while learning it!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 5:24 pm   Permalink

project tiki holograms... could it be more cost effective than actual tikis and the related miscellany. man, i think you got something there... for the consumer - home tiki hologram projection sytems that integrate with your home theater or network. you could project entire tiki-themed spaces in any room of the house, yard or garage. sell 'em to retaurants, retail environments and, ultimately, walmart...

or not

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 5:27 pm   Permalink

send the wireframe through autocad to any one of a variety of milling devices and cnc modelers. mill prototypes and send the winners to asia for full scale production... outstanding!

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 5:32 pm   Permalink

Tbot, he looks exactly like you carved him out of pine, cypress or redwood, then but=rned the grain for highlites and then put on a mahogany stain. Very cool. Like RumDemon said, you could have passed it off as a carving and we would all be asking what stain and finish you used. Awesome dude!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 8:09 pm   Permalink

Funny, it never occured to me to fake a carving with this model, and I've been looking to pull off a faked image gag like this for a while, too. But I wouldn't feel right scamming TC folks...well, maybe a few.

But if I did do a fake, it might look like this:

Original photo stolen from Basement Kahuna's carving thread. Just to be clear, this photo is a fake. It's my 3d computer generated tiki on top of an old BK photo. I simply adjusted the lighting and camera angle to match his photo as closely as possible.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-bot 2005-07-11 09:10 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 10:02 pm   Permalink

Awesome computer art. I took me a little while to make sure that pic was your digified tiki, not someone elses carving pic you got your inspiration from. I dont know if I can compliment it any btter than that. Looking forward to seeing more.

How long did it take?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation