FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 4:55 pm   Permalink

Name:Waldorf Hotel
Type:hotel
Street:1489 Hastings St. East
City:Vancouver
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is merely for reference. Here are two photos of the two main rooms in the Waldorf Hotel in Vancouver, B.C.: Polynesian Room and Tahitian Room. These are scans of postcards from the 1950s. In all these years, the rooms and decor haven't changed all that much.

The Waldorf Hotel certainly isn't what it was (operational-wise), but it is still currently home to the larger B.C. Lounge and Tiki events that happen on occasion, and was the monthly location for The Blue Lizard Cocktail Club in the mid to late 1990s.

Enjoy!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2jhwxcsXLgg

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2005-07-10 16:57 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lamontkingclip

Posted: 2006-03-01 08:02 am   Permalink

some great news for people in or visiting vancouver -- the Tiki Bar at the Waldorf Astoria, Vancouver is going to be OPEN for business again as of this Saturday, March 4, 2006 and then on weekends from there on...I'm here in Van shooting a movie and we are using the bar for a shoot on sunday, March 31 -- if you're around and wanna be in a movie come on down!

View Profile of lamontkingclip Send a personal message to lamontkingclip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:18 am   Permalink

Gasp! This is fantastic news!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:41 am   Permalink

Great news...that was my first tiki experience. I love this place

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 7:20 pm   Permalink

That's terrific. I talked myself inside a few years ago and took about a hundred pictures. That place is totally amazing. If you are shooting a movie, please be careful with your lights. Some other crew burned up the handpainted ceiling.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-01 19:20 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 8:11 pm   Permalink

Terrific news!!! I've heard rumours about this but now it's confirmed...yay! Looks like we'll be going out on weekends more often!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roadkutter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:58 am   Permalink

That's the best news I've heard all year and it's only March! If a deal goes through The Road Kutters Car Club will be moving our Annual Rockabilly BBQ Bop - Car Show to the Waldorf... bigger location than our existing digs. He's hoping!

It was also rumored that they had opened it on weekends for Techno nights... Tiki & Techno... YUCK!

[ This Message was edited by: roadkutter 2006-03-02 11:33 ]

View Profile of roadkutter Send a personal message to roadkutter  Email roadkutter Goto the website of roadkutter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wordcakes

Posted: 2006-04-11 10:32 am   Permalink

Fabulous news. But don't come on April 29th--we've got it booked for our wedding!

View Profile of wordcakes Send a personal message to wordcakes  Email wordcakes Goto the website of wordcakes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-11 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 10:32, wordcakes wrote:
Fabulous news. But don't come on April 29th--we've got it booked for our wedding!

and you didnt invite us? *tsk* Tiki People give good gifts ~ although that's offset by the amount of booze we drink...

have a WONDERFUL wedding..and a fantastic marriage... and for heaven's sake POST PICTURES

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 2:15 pm   Permalink

what she said!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 5:27 pm   Permalink

Is this place still open to the public on weekends? I read a few posts and have seen that they are and also that they are not. Does anyone local know?

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-03 5:04 pm   Permalink

Hi, I went to a large Halloween party at the Waldorf on Friday October 28th and the cool tiki bar room with the Leetegs was open as were all their bars. Here is a picture of my GF in front of a Leeteg. Sorry for the crappy photo, but I didn't take it.

The tiki rooms are now open Friday and Saturday nights from what the lady at the Waldorf told me, however, if you wanted to go tonight November 3rd, for instance, you would have to see and pay for an alternative rock show to view the cool rooms. Events usually cost $8-15 depending on what it is. You can visit the bar, but unfortunately it probably won't be a quiet tiki/loungey night like one might like. It all depends on the event going on that night. I would call first because different rooms can be booked and then you won't see the cool Leeteg room as it may be privately booked. Call 604-253-7141, which is the Waldorf, and they will be able to tell you if the room will open to the public on the night you want to view it. I hope this helps a bit.

View Profile of tikiriffic Send a personal message to tikiriffic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shindeco

Posted: 2007-04-04 1:16 pm   Permalink

Last week, Heritage Vancouver and Funhauser (local tiki store) put on a "tiki talk" here. There was a short talk on tiki history by Don Luxton who is an architectural historian and tiki fanatic--an a fabulous public speaker! After the talk, we were allowed to wander around and check out the different spaces. It really is a phenomenal place.

It was a fundraiser for Heritage Vancouver and the place was packed. They were talking of doing a larger scale event in the summer; keep your fingers crossed.

View Profile of Shindeco Send a personal message to Shindeco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 3:44 pm   Permalink

Folks, I fear for the Waldorf!
Some of you might know, I've been co-organizing an event (Lost Paradise) at this last great Tiki venue in Vancouver. We've been working alot with the management (a challenge to say the least!) and some things have been coming to light which make me wonder about it's future. They're facing serious liquor licensing issues, fire regulation violations, lack of business and the inevitable 'land is more valuable than the building' scenario (thanks to Vancouver's insane real estate market). Couple this with an indifferent ownership that I really don't think appreciates what they have, I'm not so optimistic about it's future. The manager (the third manager in six months!) also told me that our event is the second to last one booked...yikes!
After reading other threads about the death of so many great venues, I feel a little depressed that our last & only original Tiki venue may join the list.
When you see that the most active & organized efforts like the TV Hollywood campaign fail it's a little discouraging. I guess I'm venting a bit because I'm not sure what the solution is, if there even is one. It would just be sad to lose it.

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 10:37 pm   Permalink

Yeh, that's right Pepe!!!
See this Tiki Mecca before it's too late!!
Check out the events page for a great opportunity this coming July 21st!!

Below is an OLD ad from the Waldorf Hotel advertising the Polynesian Room. This add (note the old telephone number) is from 1959 and is rare to see. This will probably be the first time it has ever been documented online.

These rooms opened in 1955 so this is one of their first ad's. This ad features the figure from one of Leeteg's famous paintings, The Tahitian Drummer. This velvet painting is still located upstairs in the Tahitian Lounge. The Waldorf used this figure on menu's, matchbooks, stir stix, paper work, cheques, receipts and lots of other printed matter. The later ad's had just the Waldorf Palm Tree exterior sign pictured on it. I will add one of these later.

Mahalo,
TabooDan

Edited to fix picture size.

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-21 21:08 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation