FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-22 15:44, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
When you see that the most active & organized efforts like the TV Hollywood campaign fail it's a little discouraging. I guess I'm venting a bit because I'm not sure what the solution is, if there even is one. It would just be sad to lose it.

My Missus and I went last year, but I lost all my photos when my hard drive crashed. What a bummer!
Anyway, I think a big part of the TV Hollywood campaign failure was the fact that we knew it was going to close and the fact that Hilton shut down the restaurant without letting anyone know when. They were trying to avoid the publicity that a big event might draw.
If you're concerned about the fate of the Waldorf, then the time to act is now! Get going on all the historic places register stuff before the place is slated to be demolished, and before there's a development plan for the area. What a tragedy it would be if that place disappeared. I'd never seen so many black velvet paintings in one place. Awesome. Just awesome....

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-14 3:21 pm   Permalink

I hope this place lasts, I have been wanting to go for years!! This year, I am out of days off so I can't make it for the July event; http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22849&forum=4&hilite=waldorf

have a blast evryone!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 11:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-14 15:21, mrsmiley wrote:
I hope this place lasts, I have been wanting to go for years!! This year, I am out of days off so I can't make it for the July event, have a blast everyone!

Mrsmiley, No excuses!! This IS the event!! Phone in Sick, phone in Twisted!!
You gotta see this place before it is gone! If you can get the opportunity, you gotta get up here. Hey....only a three hour flight!!

I'll have a drink in the name of all the TCer's who cant make it.

Mahalo!! TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 1:51 pm   Permalink

Just an update on the Waldorf. Sadly, one of the rooms (The Menehune Room & downstairs bar area with the fabulous village mural) are now closed to the public. We were actually very concerned that the whole place was going to be closed prior to our event (as late as last Thursday).
The Fire Martial has deemed the rooms a fire hazard (..and having been through the back work rooms, I'd have to agree) and all the matting will have to be fire proofed, replaced or removed. The GM told me they were being inspected almost daily and that the rooms had to be dealt with or the entire place including the hotel would be closed.

On a brighter note, I was told by the folks at Heritage Vancouver that there was a real interest by the owners in keeping the place going. Time will tell!

The Polynesian Room (with giant mural) & Tahitian Lounge (with Leetegs) are still open.

One thing's forsure, filling the Tahitian Lounge with exotica music & entertainment and people decked out in their finest tropical attire made everyone realize the potential of the place.

Oh, to win a lottery!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-14 7:06 pm   Permalink

Hi,

Is there any update on this? Where can I find tiki in Vancouver BC on June 21, 2008? We have only 1 night!

Thanks!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-14 9:17 pm   Permalink

Just for reference, folks may want to check out www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/waldorf these 8 albums of pictures from the Waldorf that we took over 2005's "Holy Crap it's a Tiki event in Vancouver!". They're not great photography, and they don't begin to do the place justice, but they at least give hints and perhaps some feel for how incredible the Waldorf really is.

It is simply a truly elegant, richly layered, magnificent series of spaces. Absolutely one of the most amazing survivors I've ever seen. It's as if via some magic rip in the space time continuum it's still possible to wander what in its day was the place, now a time capsule from another age.

Were it not on the other side of the continent from me... .

In any case, seriously folks, run don't walk! Don't postpone. It's simply incredible. Helping ensure its survival should be a real Tikiphile priority.

Pepe le Tiki would be the fellow to ask about it's current status.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-15 07:33 am   Permalink

Thanks Sabina - Great pictures - I will run there (but not until June ;-( )!

Greg

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 07:49 am   Permalink

Aloha, The Waldorf is still standing and not too much to be reported. The Menehune Room remains off limits and the Lounges are still closed unless there is an event. I have been talking to the new manager there who has been hired by the owners and he is good to deal with.
He was around at the July and August 07' Events and he likes the interest that the Tikiphiles have and also the rockabilly/hotrod scene. There may be another show/event there this summer so I will keep you all informed.
The manager was asking me for some pictures of our event that we had for his website so that does sound a little promising. I will keep you posted.

As for something Tiki in June....keep checking back here for future events and updates. Don't know of anything planned yet. Whoever comes up to Vancouver BC has to go to Funhauser Decor (
www.funhauserdecor.com ) for good eye candy! Lot's of cool stuff and also art from local Tiki artist's. No Tiki bar's up here anymore.
There is a place called Tropika which is a Malaysian Restaurant that features tropical drinks and has drawings in it's menu of Trader Vic mugs and bowls.
They have a few behind the bar but none are for sale. Still kind of cool to see a large selection of classic tropical drinks on a menu and they are actually pretty good. Mahalo!! TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-15 10:48 am   Permalink

Thanks TabooDan! Sorry to hear that there's not any tiki bars in Vancouver - but I'll still swing by the Waldorf to take a look at what ever I can, and Funhauser decor - sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the first hand update!

lamontkingclip

Posted: 2008-02-18 11:42 am   Permalink

I would HIGHLY ENCOURAGE all Tikiphiles -- and other lovers of cool stuff - to stop into Funhauser whenever you are in Vancouver...it is a great store and very unique; Vancouver - heck, Canada! - doesn't have anything like it and in all my world travels i frankly have never seen anything like it...Peter and Alan are terrific guys too, and great to deal with. A definite MUST on anybody's list when they go to Vancouver.

View Profile of lamontkingclip Send a personal message to lamontkingclip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-10 09:00 am   Permalink

Well we made it to Vancouver on our way to the great white north, and as TabooDan said - the Tahitian Lounge in the Waldorf hotel was really great. (We didn't make it to the funhauser store though - our ship would have sailed without us ) - It looks as though they intend on keeping it up - we got a tour from the manager, and had mai tais at the bar - which were just alright - not great. Here's some pictures:

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2008-07-10 09:06 ]

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 6:02 pm   Permalink

Wow, looks like they're doing a major overhaul of the Menehune Room (the room that was shut down by the fire inspector when we were out there for the Heritage Vancouver fundraiser whenever that was). I hope that's not an acoustic tile drop ceiling (or even worse, a "sunshine" ceiling).

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 7:37 pm   Permalink

Nice post with some great pictures Tikigap!! Too bad you couldn't check out Funhauser!! Next time!!

That IS a drop tile ceiling!! Brings a couple tears to my eyes!! That leaf and bamboo roof was awesome before!! It would have cost them a small fortune to box that one in though and do all the wiring and ducting right. The owner does not really want to spend the funds to do it right, just make it safe for use again.

The room is great but that ceiling will take alot of the old character away!!
I gotta get in there and get them doing this half right! I will try to at least get them to paint it all black!!

to be continued..... TabooDan

Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 08:59 am   Permalink

I'm cringing as I look at these photos but I guess I'm not surprised! The condition of this great venue has seriously declined in the last few years. The Menehune Room will never be the same!!! Even a brown hanging ceiling would be better than what's being done.... ugh!!! (granted they're not finished yet)

Glad you got into the Waldorf Tikigap!! It's still a treasure and is worth every effort to see it!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-10 09:00, tikigap wrote:
Well we made it to Vancouver on our way to the great white north, and as TabooDan said - the Tahitian Lounge in the Waldorf hotel was really great.

I can't believe that the Waldorf is doing this kind of work on what once looked like this in the Menehune Banquet Room:

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation