FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 3:05 pm   Permalink

That's always SO painful to see. I'm thinking in addition to the Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs thread, we need one dedicated to regrettable tiki remodeling jobs! I've seen enough good (bad) examples of it here over the years.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-20 11:24 am   Permalink

..i just heard the place is getting turned into a sportsbar by the children of the original owners..this comes from a source in canada...any truth to this??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-20 11:24, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..i just heard the place is getting turned into a sportsbar by the children of the original owners..this comes from a source in canada...any truth to this??

God, I hope not! Just what Canada needs, another f*(kin' sp*rts bar!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 07:55 am   Permalink

You know, I wouldn't even be shocked if this is true. It would probably make more sense than having these rooms closed to the public. Damn! I knew I should have just gone in and seen if I can take a look around when I was in Vancouver this summer. I only drove by it about 15 times! Where's Taboo Dan with the inside scoop?

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 9:40 pm   Permalink

I recently found this hiding in a bag of swizzles:

*new photos*
Any more info on this sports bar rumour??

[ This Message was edited by: Brandomoai 2009-11-28 13:29 ]

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-16 06:16 am   Permalink

No news to report yet but there are rumblings that it will be for sale which basically means it will probably be destroyed. It is very hard to get information from the owner or any of the constantly new managers. All the rumors right now are just that.
The Tahitian Lounge is still open on Saturdays for Mexican nite which seems to be pretty busy and is the only steady event that happens there.

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 5:17 pm   Permalink

How the Waldorf looks according to Google Street view.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-06 09:10 am   Permalink

Here is a nice little table menu that sold on ebay recently showing the Polynesian Dining room and the Menehune Banquet room at the Waldorf.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 08:43 am   Permalink

Went by during the week. The Waldorf is apparently under new ownership/management and is completely closed for renovations. Much construction going on.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MoonBeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-21 7:05 pm   Permalink

Check out the Waldorf Hotel page on FaceBook for information on the new leaseholders and their plans.

View Profile of MoonBeach Send a personal message to MoonBeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eddy Brazil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 1:05 pm   Permalink

Here's the press release I just got today:

For Immediate Release

September 29, 2010

Vancouver's Famous Waldorf Hotel to Reopen in November 2010 as a Multi-Venue Concept Hotel

Vancouver, BC; The Waldorf Hotel, designed in 1947 by architects Mercer & Mercer, was remarkable from the beginning for its modernist style. In 1955, capitalizing on an emerging interest in Polynesian culture, the complex was transformed into one of North America's most renowned "tiki" themed bars and hotels. A post-war phenomenon, tiki culture was rooted partially in the nostalgic tropical memories of returned soldiers but also in the erotic fantasies of a middle class fascinated by the exotic and forbidden. The original architects reworked existing interiors, creating a space dedicated to artifice and escapism.

In 2010, Musician Thomas Anselmi (Slow, Copyright, Mirror) and restaurateur Ernesto Gomez (Nuba) took over operations of the Waldorf and are working with architect Scott Cohen (designer of Gastropod, Les Faux Bourgeois) to reimagine the property. Collectively this team has a vision to develop the Waldorf into a creative hub in the heart of East Vancouver where contemporary art, music, food and culture convene under one roof. The programming for the space will be both artistically expansive and thematically inclusive.

The hotel's interiors are virtually untouched in many areas and the new vision expands on the theatricality and surrealism of the original concept. The hotel complex consists of thirty rooms, two restaurants (directed by Ernesto Gomez and executive chef Ned Bell), a Tiki bar (restored and retrofitted with a vintage analogue audiophile sound system), a hair salon (run by Barbarella Hair), a gift shop, a nightclub and a live music venue. In the works are a multi-media theater space and recording studio (tied to a residency program for visiting musicians).The Waldorf joins a new wave of Vancouver businesses that are conversing with the city, setting a benchmark for culture and hospitality.

- 30 -

Images available upon request.

The Waldorf Hotel
1489 East Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V5L 1S4
www.waldorfhotel.com

Media Contact:
Daniel Fazio
daniel@popfoundry.com

View Profile of Eddy Brazil Send a personal message to Eddy Brazil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 3:02 pm   Permalink

The new logo artwork shows some promise, although I'm still skeptical. It sounds like only one of the rooms will be saved, but which one? Apparently, there's going to be an opening/Halloween party. I'm gonna' need some West Coast volunteers to attend and report back to us (with photos). So, who's going...

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 3:19 pm   Permalink

Found this link to someone's Flickr photostream (a contractor or designer, I'm guessing):
http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=49503002894%40N01&q=waldorf&m=text
Looks like they're keeping the Tahitian Lounge, which makes me happy! It's too bad that on my last couple of trips to Vancouver I didn't take the time to see the place before these renovations. However, if this means the Tahitian Lounge is going to be open permanently, instead of just on Salsa Saturdays or whatever, then I'll have nothing to complain about. It seems like an ambitious plan. I hope everything works out in the long run!

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-30 10:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the link to the Flicker Shots. A few very cool ones on there. If you go through them, check out the one that shows the cash machine. In the foreground you can see the very rare 3 Ku Ceramic Tiki Lamps that were on the tables in the dining rooms back in the day. You can also make out a Tiki Bowl there as well. I saw this Bowl there in the back storage rooms a few years ago along with about three Fogcutter Mugs.
These were all marked and were from Trader Vic's. Trader Vic's at the Bayshore Hotel was once only about 7 minutes away. Maybe these items were there as maybe a example or something the Waldorf was possibly planning on one day creating or maybe just getting ideas. Who knows, but it was very interesting to see Trader Vic items at the Waldorf sitting on a shelf for over 40 years!

You can also see the all the wood bowls and other items that have been dragged out of storage as well. The old owners kept everything and it's all been tucked away hidden in the maze of old store rooms under the Hotel. I would have loved to been able to explore under there even more and dig out all the relics.

I stopped by a few weeks ago to see what I could but there really wasn't anyone I could talk to. I checked around the back of the Hotel and there were no hints of anything Polynesian in the couple of garbage bins they had back there. The Pub and Hotel foyer were completely gutted and under major reno and almost the whole building was behind scaffolding.

I will try to find out about the three rooms this coming week and see if I can get a look. It does seem promising so far from what we have read. At least the new owners know what they have and seem to be interested. Maybe they will be alot more willing to deal with the Tikiphiles and other interested parties as opposed to the previous owner. Time will tell.

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mick9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-28 2:48 pm   Permalink

Looks like it opens on Saturday Night!with the original JBL speaker system from the 50s and DJs spinning vinyl

View Profile of mick9 Send a personal message to mick9  Email mick9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation