FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-28 14:48, mick9 wrote:
Looks like it opens on Saturday Night!with the original JBL speaker system from the 50s and DJs spinning vinyl

Wow! Please, any local Tiki agents, report, with photos!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 05:27 am   Permalink

IT'S TIKI TIME AT THE WALDORF!!!!

Yeh Yeh Yeh....after all the delays, wishful thinking and rumors, the whole story is here! The Waldorf will be open again!!!

If you are traveling here or plan on coming to Vancouver BC, you gotta stop by the Waldorf hotel! It's a must if you come even close to the city! We all have to support what has been done and the vision that has tried to be saved and revisited here.

Check out this awesome article in the Vancouver Sun. Read the story as it's got some very cool stories about the history of the Waldorf and it's beginning. Also some cool facts about the velvet paintings!!

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/westcoast-life/still+tiki+time+Waldorf+Hotel/3736756/story.html

Don't forget to check out the photos.

Hopefully I can get down there on Saturday and report back with some of the details.
Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-10-29 05:28 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 07:16 am   Permalink

Can't wait to be able to see it next time I'm in town!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-28 16:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-28 14:48, mick9 wrote:
Looks like it opens on Saturday Night!with the original JBL speaker system from the 50s and DJs spinning vinyl

Wow! Please, any local Tiki agents, report, with photos!

Hey Bigbro! Yeh, It sounds pretty awesome! Here was a little more about the system from the article in the Sun:

"Bob Mills also bought state-of-the-art speakers for his hotel back in the mid-50s. They’re called JBL Lansing Hartfields, and are simply huge. “They’re literally the best speakers that were being made at that time,” said Anselmi. “Consequently some of the best speakers that have ever been made.”

Anselmi found them while poking around the Waldorf basement, plugged them in and found they still sound killer. He plans to install them as part of a vintage music system in the lounge. Record collectors will play vinyl records on turntables, which will be hooked up to tube amplifiers and the JBLs.

Internationally-renowned artist Stan Douglas and CBC radio legend David Wisdom will be among the people spinning discs for the opening night party, which is free and open to the general public."

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 9:16 pm   Permalink

Soooooooooo TabooDan .... what was it like? Dying to know!! I've heard so many rumours.. especially about the downstairs rooms... the suspense is killing me!!!

... but I must say, this is probably the best case scenario for this treasure, no matter how brutal the renos may have been. At least it's been given a new lease on life!!

[ This Message was edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2010-11-03 21:20 ]

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 4:11 pm   Permalink

Well, would love to answer you PePe but I got stuck in the lineup outside for over 2 HOURS and didn't get to get in!! It was unbelievable!! I should have tried to get on the guest list but didn't think about it until after.

I arrived early, around 6:20pm, already there was long line up that snaked around the building, down the stairs and into the side parking lot. I guess no matter what the venue, if you offer free admission, live bands and DJ's spinning you are going to get a turn out! The day before Halloween also ensured a huge turn out! I heard over 4,200 people on Facebook said they were going!! I could swear I was the only person there to actually see the building and the decor! I was the only one not wearing a costume as well! I kept thinking what the hell was I doing there??!!

It also sucked because there was line up coming from the other way for the people on the Guest List and that was long itself. Oh....and it started pouring down rain after being in line about 45 minutes

By the time I got to about 15' from the door I had been there for about 2 and a half hours. Some girls ahead of me said that the doorman said it would be another 2-3 hours as they reached capacity! I couldn't believe it! Well, I will just have to come back another time. With all those people inside it would probably be hard to get good pictures and talk to who I wanted to anyway so I figured it was time to hit the road. An hour drive back home now!

All this being said, the Waldorf has finally gotten it right. They are doing events, booking shows, opening the rooms, new restaurants, new menus, and really focused on showing themselves off and talking about their past. This is truly a landmark worth seeing and finally all and come here and enjoy.

Here is a shot of some of the snaking line up looking from the sidewalk down to the lower level:

They were even selling Taco's out of the truck in the back to all the people in line! Now that's a long line!!

Here's a shot of the entrance area where the two line ups met:

The whole exterior has been refinished and looks pretty good. The front has windows all along and you can now see into the building where the cafe and lobby area is. On the wall just inside I saw this Tiki which I have not seen at the Waldorf before:

This is probably a new one, like it looks, but I will look into it. It was also hard to see good detail from outside. As the Waldorf got older, alot of items were kept in storage because they didn't want their original relics, mostly hand carved and one of a kind, to get broken or stolen. I'm hoping a few of these have been pulled out now and are on display.

Here is a PNG style shield just inside the doorway and off to the right (sorry bad photos!):

Did not see this one at the Waldorf before either. There were a few other carvings that I could see but I just couldn't get any clear photos. Soon!

Here's a shot of their new exterior sign that has been redone:

The font is really cool and the sign does look good. I did like the old sign better but this sign still looks pretty good. The addition of the moon and stars at the top is cool. Gotta get a daytime shot.

Another thing that helped keep the Waldorf alive this long was the Liquor Store. The Waldorf has a small Liquor store on the side of the building and they always had pretty good sales from it. With the Reno, they have kept the liquor Store open and it now has a very cool wall sign in front of it:

Also a nice sign above the doorway as well:

The Logo is really cool and I am very glad they have used the their 'Logo' Mask and Tiki's from the Waldorf's old menus and paper work! It looks great!!
All the posters that featured this event had this logo at the top. It was very good to see this vintage art still being used. Hopefully they run with this logo and keep using it. Who knows, they may even start printing items with it on. I'll talk to them about that one!!

More info. to come!!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-11-04 16:15 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 4:54 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

Way to give it the old college try, sorry you didn't make it in. Great to hear the opening was a success. Look forward to your return trip and photos.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 5:24 pm   Permalink

Wow, that looks really promising! Man, I feel your frustration to have to wait all this time in the rain and not get in!
They should have had THREE lines: One for the general public, one for the guest list, and one for hardcore dedicated Tiki archeologists such as our breed. But noooooo.....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 01:25 am   Permalink

Thanks for trying Dan, you're a dedicated Tiki trooper and I agree with Bigbrotiki about the third guest list!!! I just found out that one of my friends is going to be a promoter for them.. excellent.. we now have an 'in'!!! (I hope I can convince him to have a Tiki event soon!!)

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MoonBeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-05 2:28 pm   Permalink

The New Waldorf Hotel - Vancouver
We arrived really early, at about 5:45pm, so we got in on opening night. It was pretty hectic - people seemed ecstatic to be there and awed by the renos. Amazing atmosphere. So here’s what I noticed about the renos:
The non-tiki upstairs pub was fully obliterated and two really nicely designed restaurants installed, lots of bamboo and style. You'll like it. The lobby was also spruced up nicely with a few new elegant Polynesian touches.
The upstairs hallways had been painted and carpeted – okay, but not great. I think flat paint or textured wall coverings look best on old walls. I liked the ceiling fixture treatments though, the big bamboo-ish looking boxes covering the fixtures added interest to the upstairs hallways.
The hotel rooms upstairs that were open for viewing had been painted, carpeted and bamboo detailing added to the outside window wall of the rooms. Very nice! The bathrooms in the rooms look about the same, i.e. nothing too new or fancy just yet.
The street-level lounge, formerly the Tahitian Lounge and now I think maybe referred to as The Tiki Lounge has had some of the original flooring (stone, carpet) removed from the lower level in front of the bar and replaced with wood or laminate, and the mural behind the upper-level music set-up area has been removed. However the result is an updated, sleeker look for the lounge.
The downstairs dining room, formerly the Polynesian Dining Room and now called The Cabaret, has had new golden-toned floral pattern carpeting installed (including the circular stairway up to the lounge), which looks good with all the original bamboo detailing. The big downstairs mural is intact, but for the opening was covered by curtains and a projection screen. The crane and bamboo design on the big crescent window were removed (they weren't original, they were decals applicated for a movie that was filmed there).
The former coffee shop, now the downstairs bar service area, looks good, but for some reason I cannot figure out the beautiful original mural behind the new bar has been mostly, but not completely, covered with mirrors. At least a foot of it still shows at the bottom of the mirrors. This looks bad. If the goal was to visually open up the narrow space, I wish they'd considered covering the entire mural with smoked glass: they would not only still get some of the room-expanding effect of reflected light, but vestiges of this exquisite original mural would still be somewhat visible AND fully protected from bar spillage. I hope they fix this.
The former Menehune banquet room is pretty well completely overhauled except for the entrance doors and carved tiki pillars. The rock fountain, swordfish, etc. were all taken out, but I think that's okay because the original ceiling and floor, etc. were already gone. Some people might miss those, but I don't think parts of it would work without the entire room being fairly intact. Anyways, the beautiful bamboo entrance doors are still there and, besides the columns, those were my favourite features in that area. And the giant vintage speakers are truly awesome. I think the room looks good for its new multi-purposes.
So do go check it out. I can't wait to see the new sunken patio they plan to open by summer. In the meantime you'll probably find lots of photos on the web(flckr, facebook, etc.), plus I heard that at local media are planning articles in the little while. Sorry for the long post, there was lots to see!
Best regards, MoonBeach

[ This Message was edited by: MoonBeach 2011-01-14 15:19 ]

View Profile of MoonBeach Send a personal message to MoonBeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 4:29 pm   Permalink

Pepe Le Tiki says:

"Thanks for trying Dan, you're a dedicated Tiki trooper and I agree with Bigbrotiki about the third guest list!!! I just found out that one of my friends is going to be a promoter for them.. excellent.. we now have an 'in'!!! (I hope I can convince him to have a Tiki event soon!!)"

Thanks Bigbro and Pepe!! The third line up is a great idea!! Will have to try and get that one going next time.
Pepe's got a promoter "In" at the Waldorf??!! That's awesome!! Count me in

Thanks alot to Moonbeach for the detailed description posted above! It sounds pretty good and I gotta get some pictures to share on here. I am glad you got to go check it all out!

Here's a scan of the downstairs doors referred to above and also the cover of the Life section of the Sun Paper that discussed the renovations and grand opening Halloween bash:

They are awesome doors with hand carved scenes of palm trees, bamboo chutes and birds. I have always loved the bamboo and coconuts which also make up the door.

Here is another scan from the great 3 page spread in the Sun which shows a picture of the original owner and founder of the Waldorf Hotel, Bob Mills:

Doesn't he look like a cool character? Reminds me of a 50's gangster or boxing promoter. Looks like he could tell you a hundred stories and I bet he probably could! Would have loved to had a drink with him in the Tahitian Lounge!!

Here's one last scan of a picture of the upstairs Tahitian Lounge:

Not sure if this room has changed names or not but like Moonbeach said, it is sometimes called the Leeteg Room or Velvet Room. The mirrors behind that curved bar really give the impression the room is round and alot bigger. The details in this space and the painted ceiling are truly something to see. Hhhmmmm.....maybe over a Tahitian Sunset??!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

Eddy Brazil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 9:14 pm   Permalink

Well, She-She and I managed to visit the Waldorf the weekend before last - after all the buzz of the opening. It was a nice and quiet Sunday afternoon. Spoke to one of the PR people, and got a quick private tour of the space. Here are a few pics (I've omitted the blurriest ones!)

Analog never sounded - nor looked - so good

Mural detail beside the dance floor

Leeteg graphite portraits

Leeteg black velvet

Two views of the coffee shop

Front desk

Stairway view to Lobby

Stairway to second floor (hotel rooms)

Basic hotel room

Last-edition analog phones (with Waldorf Hotel imprint on the dial pad)

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Straightened some pictures. - 2010-11-16 21:42 ]

View Profile of Eddy Brazil Send a personal message to Eddy Brazil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-11-16 9:43 pm   Permalink

Great pictures Eddy!

Thank you.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-09 4:15 pm   Permalink

And here you can get the official site and all the info you want - http://www.waldorfhotel.com/2011/01/beat-the-january-blues-at-the-tiki-bar/
Bar open every night. Make sure to check all the links under the 'About' category for all the cool stuff!
Hope to get out there soon for a taste...

And I really want one of these mugs...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 8:13 pm   Permalink

I can't wait to stay in the made-over uber-hip Waldorf. I hope to do that soon, like in the next 3 or 4 months, but my life is quite complicated right now and god laughs when I make plans, so we'll see how that goes. If I do manage to make it out, I hope to reconnect with all my Vancouver TC buddies, over cocktails at the tiki bar, of course.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation