FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia (hotel)
MoonBeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-03 2:09 pm   Permalink

So THAT's what the 'beer parlour' looked like - I was too young to ever see it! Everything looks brand-spanking new, no? I wish they had a photo of the coffee shop once renovated, my favourite mural was there (now covered in a very large mirror).

View Profile of MoonBeach Send a personal message to MoonBeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toadman

Posted: 2012-05-26 10:56 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: toadman 2012-05-26 10:57 ]

View Profile of toadman Send a personal message to toadman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toadman

Posted: 2012-05-26 10:59 am   Permalink

Lambs Navy rum is still sold in Canada to this day (I have a bottle of 151 in my cupboard) I think it is a Canadian brand not sold in the states

View Profile of toadman Send a personal message to toadman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-26 7:07 pm   Permalink

Looks like I'm coming to Vancouver in a couple of weeks for about a week or more (less a few days on the island). May or may not be staying at the Waldorf again, but will definitely be having a few cocktails in the Tiki Bar since they didn't have their new drink menu the last time I was there. Would love to meet up with Vancity TC members.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-18 1:35 pm   Permalink

I had a swell evening at the Waldorf last Wednesday with my travel buddy.

We had a fine meal in the restaurant, ordering off the menus of both restaurants - Nuba (Lebanese food) and The Leeteg Room (currently Argentinian) - and listening to an Afro-Cuban jazz duo.

After supper we moved to the Tiki Bar, which was empty (not even a bartender) when we came in at about 8:40 (the bar opens at 8:00). Our bartender, Andy, when he showed up, was very friendly and obliging. He showed us the new signature tiki mug they're going to be using soon - Tiki Farm's
"Drum of the Forefathers" designed by Tank Standing Buffalo,

based on this Leeteg painting that hangs on the back wall of the bar:

Here they are together:

They're going to be selling them old-style - buy the drink, keep the mug. I had a Zombie in mine - a very potent concoction with 4 rums (Havana blanco, Appleton, Goslings, and a 151 float).

The tiki bar has a NEW new drink menu (as opposed to the old new menu they introduced about a year ago) that has more of an emphasis on classic tiki bar drinks and less on the pre-prohibition drinks they used to feature. Here's the new drink menu:

After my Zombie I tried a Singapore Sling which I liked very much.

The DJ arrived about 9:00 o'clock and spun old-school Latin-exotica vinyl by Perez Prado, Yma Sumac, and the like as well as lots of Mexican music I wasn't familiar with. The place only really started cooking by the time we were leaving, after 10 o'clock, but we had ab excellent time nonetheless.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-20 11:00 am   Permalink

I scored this postcard from the Tahitian Room Lounge at the Waldorf. Looks to be late 1960s.

The Leeteg.

Really great to see this place make a come back. Anybody been lately?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 2:24 pm   Permalink

Bad news:
http://exclaim.ca/News/vancouvers_waldorf_hotel_announces_closure

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 4:07 pm   Permalink

Choked.

twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 4:11 pm   Permalink

Can we link this to the main page so it gets more notice? This is very sad for the city and as many people as possible should get the news so they may make a final visit before the 20th.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 6:45 pm   Permalink

Shitty! Wife and I tried to go on boxing day, but it was closed...

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 8:00 pm   Permalink

According to the hotel, they will still be open for business. The current zoning is for multi-use commercial, not residential. The entertainment company that was operating out of the hotel is gone, which means the bars and restaurants will likely be closed. But, there still may be some opportunities to see them before the place is leveled to pave way for more condos (just what Vancouver needs). I doubt they'll be operational, even if the hotel stays open in the meantime. Frankly, the city should be stepping up to the plate to make it a heritage building. I don't know what the exact criteria are, but I think most would agree it's a historical landmark.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 9:41 pm   Permalink

Sign the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/gregor-robertson-deny-rezoning-of-the-waldorf-hotel-site-to-condo-development?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 9:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-09 21:41, twitch wrote:
Sign the petition

Done

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 06:24 am   Permalink

This sucks big time...it is amazing that an example of this era has been preserved this well this long, and it would be a cultural crime to destroy it.

SIGN THE PETITION!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 08:09 am   Permalink

Breakfast television (local morning show) is promoting the petition on this mornings show, hopefully that will help get the word out as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation