FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Never mind, move along. Nothing left to see.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Never mind, move along. Nothing left to see.
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 1:13 pm   Permalink

That the King had his cellphone on, AND that he stuck the mic down his pants to amplify the ringtone!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kungfugimp
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-11 1:23 pm   Permalink

"The song, by the way, was "Istanbul (not Constantinople)".

By -they might be Giants....I felt like Ken and I were the only ones singing that song!

View Profile of kungfugimp Send a personal message to kungfugimp  Email kungfugimp Goto the website of kungfugimp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 1:31 pm   Permalink

Ah, MUCH much older than those boys - before they were born, I believe. But they had great taste to cover it!

Edit after a quick google: first done by The Four Lads, 1953. Made it to #10 on the charts.
(No, the Four Lads is not a euphemism for the Four Moptops )

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2005-10-11 13:43 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 5:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-11 13:31, Formikahini wrote:
Ah, MUCH much older than those boys - before they were born, I believe. But they had great taste to cover it!

Edit after a quick google: first done by The Four Lads, 1953. Made it to #10 on the charts.

Wow, I thought Istanbul was an even older song than that - going back to the 1930s or 1940s. Did The Four Lads definitely write it, or were they just the first to chart with it?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 6:21 pm   Permalink

Jeez, and me and Quince-at-Dannys were that close to putting Istanbul (Not Constantinople) on the compilation we did for Hukilau... I've got a great cover version done by Leo Addeo! I'll remember for next year...

I,Zombie

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 8:57 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Tikibars, I thought it was way old Tin Pan Alley, but one source I read said it was actually a re-write of a Tin Pan Alley song called Abu Babu something.

I first heard it in 1979 performed by the Virginia Military Institute Glee Club...or maybe The Whiffenpoofs. Fell in love with the song immediately. And I knew They Might Be Giants were cool as soon as I heard their version!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation